hapkido vs wing chun

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ran Across this quote - Not Hapkido but applicable ...imo.

http://www.judoinfo.com/ukemi.htm

That's a great quote.

MSK has a strong yudo current in it — MSK is known for full circle powerful throws. This, in turn, means we must have even more emphasis in falling.

Our falling is practical; not showy. And it is progressive. We don't expect or demand a yellow belt to fall as well as a black belt.

But by the time I took my black belt test, I was READY. I was so exhausted that I could barely stand — but as falling was by then second nature, I could be slammed into the mat and it was just a time to relax :)

FWIW, I slipped on ice a couple of winters ago — right into a side fall position — on a concrete floor. No injury. Don't even recall having a bruise on my hip.

Being able to do a perfect fall isn't the same as falling so well that it is second nature to you.

I have to tell you: for a long time I went through the motions of "loving falling," and for a while was still leery of it, even afraid. But after some years of training, I gotta tell you: I genuinely learned to LOVE it.

There is a RUSH in having someone slam you to the mat as hard as they possibly can.

I should probably mention that having a GOOD mat is important and significantly reduces the risk of injury in learning to fall. A hard mat can make it hard to love falling.

Anyway, FWIW: I've seen more injuries over the years, received more bruises and bumps, from sparring than falling. Way more. A ratio of like 100:1.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a great quote.

MSK has a strong yudo current in it — MSK is known for full circle powerful throws. This, in turn, means we must have even more emphasis in falling.

Our falling is practical; not showy. And it is progressive. We don't expect or demand a yellow belt to fall as well as a black belt.

But by the time I took my black belt test, I was READY. I was so exhausted that I could barely stand — but as falling was by then second nature, I could be slammed into the mat and it was just a time to relax :)

FWIW, I slipped on ice a couple of winters ago — right into a side fall position — on a concrete floor. No injury. Don't even recall having a bruise on my hip.

Being able to do a perfect fall isn't the same as falling so well that it is second nature to you.

I have to tell you: for a long time I went through the motions of "loving falling," and for a while was still leery of it, even afraid. But after some years of training, I gotta tell you: I genuinely learned to LOVE it.

There is a RUSH in having someone slam you to the mat as hard as they possibly can.

I should probably mention that having a GOOD mat is important and significantly reduces the risk of injury in learning to fall. A hard mat can make it hard to love falling.

Anyway, FWIW: I've seen more injuries over the years, received more bruises and bumps, from sparring than falling. Way more. A ratio of like 100:1.

There is a ton of truth into what z says. Falling has to be 2nd nature. I have a lot of falling in my judo class. My students love it, it's there favorite thing. I walk with 2 leg braces and a cane and practice static falling every day.

MrBigglesworth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Looking at my Aikido background (but can't see how it's too much different in Hapkido...), I'd think that a school is only as good as they fall. Punches and kicks make it a little different, but TKD with a few badly applied locks isn't how I think of HKD.

When it come to throws and locks, the ability of the students to perform uke (an Aikido term for receiving the technique, not just breakfalling. What is the Korean equivalent?) limits the ability of the students to develop their power.

As you develop the technique to be safely thrown (or locked / manipulated) with real power, then your partner gets the opportunity to develop real power when they throw. They have to go hand in hand.

If people slam each other harder than their ability to protect themselves from, then you'll get a lot of injuries. That's not the fault of breakfalling. That's the fault of unbalanced learning. <end rant/>

To bring it back to WC, the curriculum is much more limited the HKD, but that is sometimes one of its strengths. You get the repetitions in more quickly to develop instinctive reactions. Their "offensive blocks" like fuk sau (sp?) are awesome too, though geared to more linear attacks.

To the OP: In the end, different people are suited to different types of art. Try both and see which one you enjoy.