Hapkido newbie

D

Dr. Flem

I'm just curious as to how traditional Hapkido is in terms of the MA. Is it a style of Karate or a style all on it's own? I know that Hapkido was originated in Korea and Karate in Japan but I've heard it to be a form of Karate.

Are there many members on here that do Hapkido and if so, does it cater in terms of spiritual growth aswell as the physical aspect of martial arts?

Sorry if these are silly questions but as the new guy, questions are all I have. Well that and google but I was never very good on the net. ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, Dr. Flem

I encourage you to read some of the existing threads in the Hapkido forum, especially the ones discussing lineage, and you will find some very good information and vigorous conversations there.

Happy hunting.

OP
D

Dr. Flem

Sorry about that shesulsa. I kinda rushed into the post without even thinking to check this very forum. :) I'll have a read. Thanks.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Flem said:
I'm just curious as to how traditional Hapkido is in terms of the MA. Is it a style of Karate or a style all on it's own? I know that Hapkido was originated in Korea and Karate in Japan but I've heard it to be a form of Karate.

Are there many members on here that do Hapkido and if so, does it cater in terms of spiritual growth aswell as the physical aspect of martial arts?

Sorry if these are silly questions but as the new guy, questions are all I have. Well that and google but I was never very good on the net. ;)

Greetings

Hapkido is a form of Japanese Jujutsu and incorporates many types of techniques.

. Empty hands defense
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Defense against weapons[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Escaping techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Evading techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Throwing techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Joint locking techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Striking techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Choking techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Ground fighting techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Holding & pinning techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Falling techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Kicking techniques [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]· Types of weapons taught are: 6ft Staff, Walking Cane, Short Stick, Rope and Belt, Knife & Stone throwing, Sword, and more.[/font]

Karate is generally just kicks and punches with no weapons!

OP
D

Dr. Flem

Hey, thank you for the reply American HKD. You've been more than helpful. :) It sounds like everything I want in a martial art.

I'll still have to go through the Hapkido forum though. So much information to take in.