Hapkido Curriculum

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have lost contact with my Hapkido instructor and I never knew his intructor.

I have my own school now, primarily, Taekwondo, especially for the kids.

I do have several hard corps students who want to seriously study Hapkido. Being a 1st Dan and one without any affiliation, I can take them only so far. I wish to continue my studies.

I am thinking about joining the International Combat Hapkido Federation (ICHF.) I have attended a seminar by GrandMaster Pellegrini in the past. Both the style and philosoply appeal to me.

Other attributes that appeal to me are the comprhensive series of DVD's and seminars that are availible.

I have read what has been posted on these forums about the ICHF and GrandMaster Pellegrini and the opinions seem to be favorable. I remember years ago when Combat Hapkido came on the seen it had a lot of criticism.

It seems ideal in my situation where I am so isolated with no other Martial Arts schools within an hours drive.

Any thoughts?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is nothing more than my personal opinion, based upon your interest in continuining your Hapkido Training. I have reviewed the ICHF Master level DVD's and in all honesty, NOT IMPRESSED!....

The mindset that is offered, I agree with, but the technique offerings are somewhat questionable (mpo). In order to use the term "Hapkido", I believe that Mr. P had to offer something different, than what is already being taught, just change for change sake. Otherwise there would be no real need or justification for the assignment of a "new kwan". I would suggest that your initial review of past history here at MT, regarding MR. P and the ICHF did not go far enough back. Perhaps another more indepth search may offer a broader scope of information / opinions on the subject.
While I don't consider myself to be a died in the wool traditionalist, I do have reservations when dealing with, what I consider, questionable training material.

I realize that there are folks that have great zeal for what the ICHF offers and some even have some formalized Hapkido training, prior to joining the ICHF. I confess that I have to scratch my head and ask why, but it seems to sever their purpose and in reality, that's all that matters I guess.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am thinking about joining the International Combat Hapkido Federation (ICHF.) I have attended a seminar by GrandMaster Pellegrini in the past. Both the style and philosoply appeal to me.

Other attributes that appeal to me are the comprhensive series of DVD's and seminars that are availible.

I have read what has been posted on these forums about the ICHF and GrandMaster Pellegrini and the opinions seem to be favorable. I remember years ago when Combat Hapkido came on the seen it had a lot of criticism.

It seems ideal in my situation where I am so isolated with no other Martial Arts schools within an hours drive.

Any thoughts?

Combat Hapkido and the ICHF ALWAYS be a subject of controversy and discussion, either you like it or you don't..The same with Grandmaster Pellegrini..I came from a traditional backround ( Shorin-Ryu) and loved what I saw at one seminar that I joined the ICHF and began to study with a passion...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to try what is available and then choose which Hapkido group you wish to belong to. I have had the opportunity to train with several Hapkido people in the past and they all had something distinctly different to offer. Personally I feel that Combat Hapkido has quite a bit going for it!

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Will the ICHF still accept a Black Belt from another recognized organization to convert to a Dan in ICHF.

I remember this was so many years ago, but cannot find any information on their website.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will the ICHF still accept a Black Belt from another recognized organization to convert to a Dan in ICHF.

I remember this was so many years ago, but cannot find any information on their website.

They did it not too long ago..That question must be directed to Grandmaster Pellegrini at http://www.dsihq.com

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started in trad hapkido but converted to ICHF after my GM passed. Ihave loved it and renewing my membership to life time. The reason i chose ICHF over other hapkido orgs was the very real street self-d.
The one thing i did though was give the techs nicknames instead of the numbers. If you like i can email you an excel spread sheet.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to a few ICHF seminars given by Master Brian McCann in the past, and would definitely study it if were a little closer and I had the time. Some day though!

But I think Brian's advice is the best here; try all the Hapkido that is nearby to you and pick the one you like best.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was a 3rd Dan under Ki Whan Choi here in San Antonio, he died in the late 80's, his brother still teaches in the Houston area, I also have a friend who does a style of Hapkido called Hoi Jeon Mool Soo Hapkido, they're cool. I dont have thier website, but should be easy to find on the net. The Master studied with Young Sul Choi and Ji Han Jae.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My problem is that there are no Hapkido Schools of any kind with 150 miles. San Antonio, TX is the closest city with any available.

I have decided to go with the International Combat Hapkido Federation. I can get plenty of help with their DVD's and Seminars.

I am not clear on a couple of things, such as the Instructor Certificate and any Time in Grade requirements. I am in contact with them and will get that resolved.

My 1st Dan will transfer over the ICHF. Now I need to learn the curriculim up to Black Belt, then start in on my 2nd Dan.

I thank everyone for there help and suggestions.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The one thing i did though was give the techs nicknames instead of the numbers. If you like i can email you an excel spread sheet.

Sure, if you don't mind. I, usually, don't have problems remembering techniques by the numbers, but if it helps, I'm all for it.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I got to talk to Trina Pellegrini the other day. It started out with emails, then we talked. She put her husband on the phone and we discussed all my concerns.

He is willing to help, far more than I ever would have expected.

So, I am going with the ICHF. Perhaps, I can get some more adults in the school. I have enrolled over 30 rug rats in a little less than 30 days since I took over.

Luckily, I wear my hair Marine Corps short or I would have pulled it all out by now.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I did join the ICHF as a Charter School. I received my Package on Friday. The challenge is to now enroll adults into the program. I know a few are interested.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did join the ICHF as a Charter School. I received my Package on Friday. The challenge is to now enroll adults into the program. I know a few are interested.

I wish you the best in this. I'm glad I happened into Combat Hapkido. I didn't go searching for it, but I found it and with it came some new people that have been great to train with and to know.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that it has only been a little over two weeks, but what do you think of the package? Have you been able to apply any of it in your classes? And if so, how did it go?

Hope all went well.:)

Daniel

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that it has only been a little over two weeks, but what do you think of the package? Have you been able to apply any of it in your classes? And if so, how did it go?

Hope all went well.:)

Daniel

Everything is good. I have reviewed all the DVD's. We started the curriculum immediately and students are enjoying the classes. Another black belt and I are learning the ICHF curriculum faster and we are testing it out on each other.

The DVD's are well made and explain the techniques very well. I do like that seminars are available and that the style can be supplemented by other techniques.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No one finds this disturbing. Not to discount your first dan, but really - you can in good conscious "teach" stuff to your students that you "learned" from a video tape? You don't feel any moral responsibility of actual mastery or at least competency before passing it along. Someone might actually have to use what you have shown them. ( probably not, but there is that chance ) "Ah, sorry you're in the Hospital but that's how they did it on the tape or at least that's how I saw it."

I know it took me time, effort and most importantly - tweaking by instructor to "get" a technique. Especially if I thought I "had it" at first blush :) My understanding of the basics has changed over time and I see how cursory my original grasp was. Sorry, this method just seems reckless to me.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess that it depends what level you're at when you're viewing the tape. If one is already an experienced practitioner, watching the DVD may be enough, particularly if the techniques are well laid out and explained in depth on the DVD.

I have had instructors who's way of teaching was such that, quite frankly, a good DVD would have been an improvement. I'm not a big fan of, "You do like I do," going through forms and techniques without much, if any, interaction with the students. I find that less personal than a good DVD; a good instructional DVD is done with the knowledge that the student cannot interract with the presenter. Techniques are explained, close upped, and shown at different angles. To be fair, my experience with instructional DVD's has been in the realm of guitar DVD's, but the good ones are very, very helpful. Not a substitute for a teacher, but a very good supplement, and probably a good substitute for a bad teacher.

Daniel

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree that where you are in your study effects what you'll see on a tape.

Guitar is a different beast imo ( I play as well ) the guitar is an inanimate object. ( if left alone :p ) interacting with another human is far more complex. The human is actively trying to thwart your efforts - the guitar just feels like that sometimes :p

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No one finds this disturbing. Not to discount your first dan, but really - you can in good conscious "teach" stuff to your students that you "learned" from a video tape? You don't feel any moral responsibility of actual mastery or at least competency before passing it along. Someone might actually have to use what you have shown them. ( probably not, but there is that chance ) "Ah, sorry you're in the Hospital but that's how they did it on the tape or at least that's how I saw it."

I know it took me time, effort and most importantly - tweaking by instructor to "get" a technique. Especially if I thought I "had it" at first blush :) My understanding of the basics has changed over time and I see how cursory my original grasp was. Sorry, this method just seems reckless to me.

No, I do not have a problem with it. I have already learned this material previously. Now all I have to do is learn slight variations and in the order the ICHF presents it.

The techniques either work or they don't. It really doesn't matter how you learned them.

I watch the DVD multiple times, I practice with another black belt until I have it down. I am confident they work and I am doing them exactly as instructed. I will supplement my training with seminars and practice with other black belts in the system.

Latest Discussions