Hapidoish Taekwondo Training

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a matter of principle. TKD is primarily a striking art, and our kicks are not the same.

Perhaps you should get the opinion of someone who is a ranked master in both arts.

You already have...but you disliked it.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
He practically kissed the floor chambering that turning kick. Kicking is not executed the same in Hapkido. Anybody can see that from the clips you linked. As for kicks 1-5, many of those particular low kicks are completely unfamilar to a TKD-stylist. Give me a break.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He practically kissed the floor chambering that turning kick - kicking is not executed the same in Hapkido. Anybody can see that from the clips you linked. Kicks 1-5, many of those particular low kicks are completely unfamilar to a TKD-stylist. Give me a break.

You've never been taught a low sweeping kick, a front snap kick, or an inside crescent kick?
Are you still a white belt?
If not, you should ask for your money back. Seriously.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Laplace_demon

Are you sure? Because some of us have been training in both longer than you've been alive. Perhaps we've seen/experienced/taught more than you have?

I haven't talked with you much, but from what I've seen in a few threads...well, you seem very combative towards those that disagree with you. Yet the ones you disagree with are more experienced than you. Do you perhaps see a common denominator to consider? Your training is not the width and breadth of what is 'out' there. Perhaps it would benefit you to learn from those with more experience. That is one of the reasons for the forum...to learn and share.
:)

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You've never been taught a low sweeping kick, a front snap kick, or an inside crescent kick?
Are you still a white belt?
If not, you should ask for your money back. Seriously.

How about adressing my first point?.Several of those low kicks are not taught. Are you disputing that? No, I am not a white belt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about adressing my first point?.Several of those low kicks are not taught. Are you disputing that? No, I am not a white belt.

Why yes, I do dispute that. Our white belts know all of those kicks. They may not be very good at them yet (that's why they're white belts...) but they know them.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why yes, I do dispute that. Our white belts know all of those kicks. They may not be very good at them yet (that's why they're white belts...) but they know them.

Well you cross train, or teach several arts and styles. Which ever way one likes to put it.

My instructor is ITF affiliated. Though having some knowledge of Kung fu and Judo, he's basically a Taekwond-Do adherer. Our kicks and techniques are mainly extensions, modifications and korean flavors of Shotokan, as expected. Perhaps I will have to wait a few years;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of these kicks are foreign to Taekwon-Do. Again, if you're a beginner, then you might not know them. But certainly they're all known by the mid-geup ranks.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is ITF affiliated. Though having some knowledge of Kung fu and Judo, he's basically a Taekwond-Do adherer. Our kicks and techniques are mainly extensions, modifications and korean flavors of Shotokan, as expected. Perhaps I will have to wait a few years;)
And that sir appears to be the extent of the Taekwon-Do knowledge you are so arrogantly espousing and poorly attempting to proselytize.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you cross train, or teach several arts and styles. Which ever way one likes to put it.

Here are a couple more videos.

Now, are you really going to continue this nonsense about the kicks in Hapkido not being related to those in TKD?
Yes, we can quibble and nit pick about small details. I wouldn't do the super deep chamber for the low side kick, nor would I touch the floor during the roundhouse. But those are relatively minor things, and there's nothing inherently wrong with doing them, and as can be seen in the other Hapkido clips I've posted, they seem to be idiosyncrasies of that particular system of Hapkido.
You've been asked a couple times about your training and experience, but you've been quite evasive, other than to say you've studied Taekwon-Do and that you're not a white belt.
So I'll ask again: what is your training and experience? And I will add: Who is your instructor? Odds are fairly good that someone here knows them. What is your lineage?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the record, I did study TKD briefly in the mid-60s, for something a little over a year. I know the kicks we were taught then. I also see that TKD now has kicks we weren't taught then. I now consider myself to be a student of Hapkido. In the Hapkido I studied, we did do kicks I studied in TKD, and more. Some were like some I see in TKD now, some were not. Where did they all come from? I don't know. I have concentrated on learning the art I was studying, not trying to learn every art's background and method of using attacks and blocks. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just didn't concentrate on that.

But my point is that as more and more masters and grand masters started their own schools, they decided on their own curriculums. That meant they got to add or subtract from whatever they learned and were belted in. They may have taken techniques from any art they wished, and still called it by the name of their original art. That gave them what they thought was a better art. So is there is a kick that is unique to TKD, you may find it in Hapkido, and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that.

That means you have to be very careful about saying where a move or technique comes from originally, or that having a move or technique makes a particular school not TKD, Hapkido, or any other art. I don't see that as part of your mind set. If I am wrong, please correct me. And I would be interested what your art is and what is your ranking in that art is. It might help put your comments in perspective.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chin-Yuat Yeo, 8th Dan, is my instructor

I was not aware there was a Chinese man who was that highly belted in TKD. That is interesting. Good for him.

What is your experience and rank in his or any other style? As you may have noticed, we have everyone from rank amatures to grand masters here at MT. Where do you fit in?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chin-Yuat Yeo, 8th Dan, is my instructor

And this is his bio: Do you know if he he was taught by GM Kim Bok Man?

"Senior Master Yeo Chin-Huat, 8th Dan

Senior Master Yeo began his martial arts career by training Judo.

In 1966 he began to train TaeKwon-Do, in 1973 he joined the Singapore Army and was among the first TaeKwon-Do instructors to be appointed by the Singapore Armed Forces.

He was also actively involved in the promotion of TaeKwon-Do being also an instructor at the YMCA. He trained Chinese Kung fu between the years of 1973 and 75.

Senior Master Yeo has taken part in a number of TaeKwon-Do tournaments both at national and international level.

He arrived in Sweden 1977 as an instructor in TaeKwon-Do. In 1979, at the Scandinavian Championships was he appointed vice technical director to the All Europe TaeKwon-Do Federation.

In 1986 he was appointed chief instructor of Sweden and in 1987 president of the ITF in Sweden."

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
GM KIM Bok Man, who I have met and who now lives in New Jersey and is still quite active was one of, if not the pioneer of taekwondo in Singapore. I -- and many other do this -- would also describe him as a pioneer and disciple of ROK military taekwondo.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Why did one of you guys find it peculiar a chinese man would hold an 8th Dan in TKD? There are several people from all over the world, that is to say non koreans, holding an 8th dan, so why would a chinese man be any different?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Why did one of you guys find it peculiar a chinese man would hold an 8th Dan in TKD? There are several people from all over the world, that is to say non koreans, holding an 8th dan, so why would a chinese man be any different?

That was indeed a strange question to ask. I can't speak for ITF dan holders in China but this, are the current stats on Kukkiwon taekwondo dan/poom holders in China:

POOM/DAN COUNT
1 POOM 34,826
2 POOM 4,787
3 POOM 432
4 POOM 13
1 DAN 39,402
2 DAN 6,795
3 DAN 1,856
4 DAN 429
5 DAN 184
6 DAN 53
7 DAN 21
8 DAN 33
9 DAN 11

TOTAL 88,842

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

'One of you guys' was me. My forum name is oftheherd1. You can identify me for anything I say. I will stand for it or if I see I am wrong or have not been sufficiently clear, I will say so and try to clarify. As you see from Archtka's post above, there are only 33 8th Dan TKD GM's in the world of KKW. What I meant above was that I would not have expected a native of Singapore to take up TKD, but rather a native MA or a Chinese MA. I find it interesting in a positive way which is why I said 'Good for him.' I am sorry if you find that offensive. It wasn't meant to be so.

BTW, I am still curious if you will share your ranking in your current art or any others you may have studied. Not knowing won't stop the world from spinning, but as I said, it might help put some of your comments in a better context. I agree that your comments so far seem a little combative with no apparent basis for that.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
'One of you guys' was me. My forum name is oftheherd1. You can identify me for anything I say. I will stand for it or if I see I am wrong or have not been sufficiently clear, I will say so and try to clarify. As you see from Archtka's post above, there are only 33 8th Dan TKD GM's in the world of KKW. What I meant above was that I would not have expected a native of Singapore to take up TKD, but rather a native MA or a Chinese MA. I find it interesting in a positive way which is why I said 'Good for him.' I am sorry if you find that offensive. It wasn't meant to be so.

BTW, I am still curious if you will share your ranking in your current art or any others you may have studied. Not knowing won't stop the world from spinning, but as I said, it might help put some of your comments in a better context. I agree that your comments so far seem a little combative with no apparent basis for that.

I will say that this mans loyalty and dedication to the art of TKD had me fooled, believing he was Korean. Training for him is very militaristic and traditional.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions