Hansuki (Tiger Form)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I see it's been awhile since this post was posted but I'd like to thank "Punisher73" for mentioning me and my dvd.
I'd like to clarify a few points here...
According to recent updates to my initial history, Sources are stating that it was William Chun Sr who actually created this form & Prof Chow santioned it. The form was based on breathing exercises,Stance and footwork drills and select techniques from Prof Chow. Bill Chun Sr. codified it into it's original format.
I have had the honor,pleasure and privilage of having GM Bill Chin Jr demonstrate the original version of the Hansuki form for select others & myself at the first seminar he held in New England. He asked us afterwards what was the "big deal" about this particular form & I informed him that it was our main "connection" to Prof chow in a form format.
In regards to the form in it's present incarnation...
There were many things [or not] taught to Nick Cerio during his visits to see Prof Chow and the material presented to him was so differeent from the style of kenpo he was accustomed to, that I'm sure it overwhelming to him at that time.
From what I can asertain, Prof. Cerio incorporated other aspects of his training with Prof.Chow into the form so as to preserve various material that he had learned,hence, the differences in the form format.
I also want to clarify that it was not Prof. Nick Cerio who taught Fred Villari the form Hansuki, but rather,Prof.Cerio's brother,Frank Cerio
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

Thanks for hopping in! Sorry, I got the history wrong, I was trying to go from memory.

Did you ever finish the second dvd on Hansuki for purchase?

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I see it's been awhile since this post was posted but I'd like to thank "Punisher73" for mentioning me and my dvd.
I'd like to clarify a few points here...
According to recent updates to my initial history, Sources are stating that it was William Chun Sr who actually created this form & Prof Chow santioned it. The form was based on breathing exercises,Stance and footwork drills and select techniques from Prof Chow. Bill Chun Sr. codified it into it's original format.
I have had the honor,pleasure and privilage of having GM Bill Chin Jr demonstrate the original version of the Hansuki form for select others & myself at the first seminar he held in New England. He asked us afterwards what was the "big deal" about this particular form & I informed him that it was our main "connection" to Prof chow in a form format.
In regards to the form in it's present incarnation...
There were many things [or not] taught to Nick Cerio during his visits to see Prof Chow and the material presented to him was so differeent from the style of kenpo he was accustomed to, that I'm sure it overwhelming to him at that time.
From what I can asertain, Prof. Cerio incorporated other aspects of his training with Prof.Chow into the form so as to preserve various material that he had learned,hence, the differences in the form format.
I also want to clarify that it was not Prof. Nick Cerio who taught Fred Villari the form Hansuki, but rather,Prof.Cerio's brother,Frank Cerio
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

that is what i heard exactly.On professor bishop's website, he had at one time, chow performing a slight variation of the form in a demo.
If you can, try to get a hold of him or Danjo, to see if they still have the video on their website.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the name of this form means?

If I remember correctly, one of the translations is "small opening". As in the form you learn to exploit and create openings in your opponent's defenses. Not sure of an exact translation though.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard these,
Rooted Foot,
Fast Hands,
7 deadly hands of the tiger,
Power fist,
toilet booth (translated by Danjo I believe if i am inacuratly stating this my apologies)

well thats what I have heard.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
this question Handsword has been done somewhere on this site already. The USSD version is the best i have heard.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like every other eclectic system nothing is ever straight up within the SKK style. Everyone assigns a dynamic name to a form or technique that is unique to their style plus sounds good to them and their students.
Right from my 70's version USSD book, hand written in is, fast hands. Shodanqua has, hand written in, Island Form. Go figure.
Historical truth is usually written by those who are in power or by one of the living Gods. History is written and re- written to fit the needs of. In modern times martial arts truth will usually take a back seat to b.s.
Personally I believe martial arts historical facts after I have seen them written down and it was done during that same time period and not by one person but by multiple persons who were directly involved.
At least the SKK systems have been organized, then maybe re-organized, then after re-re-organized, Eclectic.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like every other eclectic system nothing is ever straight up within the SKK style. Everyone assigns a dynamic name to a form or technique that is unique to their style plus sounds good to them and their students.
Right from my 70's version USSD book, hand written in is, fast hands. Shodanqua has, hand written in, Island Form. Go figure.
Historical truth is usually written by those who are in power or by one of the living Gods. History is written and re- written to fit the needs of. In modern times martial arts truth will usually take a back seat to b.s.
Personally I believe martial arts historical facts after I have seen them written down and it was done during that same time period and not by one person but by multiple persons who were directly involved.
At least the SKK systems have been organized, then maybe re-organized, then after re-re-organized, Eclectic.
Hi folks!
I concur w/ Prof. Cunningham regarding the original paperwork from USSD in the 1970's and it is written as "ShoDan Qua" Island kata [form]
According to one of the early issues of the "Defender" newletter/newspaper,it relates how Fred villari was walking along a beach [perhaps in trinidad where his wife is from?] and he was attacked by several individuals both armed and unarmed.
the incident became the foundation for the form "Shodan Qua/Sho tung kwok [as listed in the june 1975 issue of Black Belt magazine.]
as well as his spontaneous "circle of death" demonstrations.
{i still have that issue as well as the one with a young Al Cunningham attacking a young Larry Mangone @ the Brockton USSD]
Hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Rebelo,

Is the 2nd Hansuki DVD finished and available for order?

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Joe,
I have the original photgraph of L.M. and myself, it was originally taken by Art Singer in 11/1975. This photo was used in, from my memory, the Spring 1976 or 1977 Defender. The Defender also featured L.M. doing a series of weapon techniques.