Hansuki (Tiger Form)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a written description of the whole kata?

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with KempoJoe, this form was / is used to teach in close tactics. The form demonstrated how one could apply fast multi impacting patterns when attacked by multiple opponents.
Untill today I have never heard of the "Monk" sets within this form. Though there are some short phrases that go along with the very begining of this form during the 70's most used this segment for dynamic breathing exercises.
What really is important about this form is that one learns proper multi opponent tactics from their version of this form.
:ultracool

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen atleast 6 versions of this form, none being the original from Chun Sr, and they vary from almost the same to "thats your hansuki?".

I realize that there are alot of different perspectives and versions of the form. I would still be intersted in seeing written descriptions just to see the commonalities and the differences.

What are some of the principles that you see illustrated in this form? It is our link to Prof. Chow and I would bet no matter what your view of the form, there is alot to gain from it.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hit hard hit fast hit high hit low and then mix it up as you repeat til the thing is ended.....sorry i just had to..

marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I realize that there are alot of different perspectives and versions of the form. I would still be intersted in seeing written descriptions just to see the commonalities and the differences.

What are some of the principles that you see illustrated in this form? It is our link to Prof. Chow and I would bet no matter what your view of the form, there is alot to gain from it.

There is a connection to Prof. Chow, but Honsuki was originally created by GM Chun Sr..

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a connection to Prof. Chow, but Honsuki was originally created by GM Chun Sr..

Hey Jesse...How are you?

Thank you for giving credit to Grandmaster Chun Sr.

I've seen Brian practice this form when we train, but I don't study what he's doing because I know it is an honor only given to certain "worthy" blackbelts. (I have enough to learn in my forms I'm supposed to know and perfect than to try to take mental notes of the Hansuki. Perhaps, I might not even be worthy enough to learn it in the future.) Both of the blackbelts under Master Chun Jr. have been given the Hansuki...

I'll admit the Hansuki (Chow/Chun Method) looks great from what I've seen of it (when Brian practices it)...and looks different than the ones posted on the internet...

Last edited:

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score

way i learned it.
(i do not practice this form this fast, but at half this speed.)

Last edited by a moderator:

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
and with alot of dynamic tension/internal breathing, too.
Hansuki= perfect strike, always training my mind for perfect strike.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
... I note that most of this form has short in close rapid sequence hand striking often working up and down the body...

Respectfully,
Marlon

I agree. Mostly hand strikes and close range. This is what I like about Hon Suki. One kick in the whole form that I have.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
there are a few things in the Ke?po world that I would like to see set straight while we still can. In the past I have talked to Master Chun, Jr. about this form and how his father created it. I have never seen the original version, but I have seen the multiple versions that have sprung from the Villari Lineage. A great way in my opinion to honor this lineage would be for the people out teaching the form to be able to get it the original way and pass along the history of it in its true nature. Just my thoughts.
Jesse

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a few things in the Ke?po world that I would like to see set straight while we still can. In the past I have talked to Master Chun, Jr. about this form and how his father created it. I have never seen the original version, but I have seen the multiple versions that have sprung from the Villari Lineage. A great way in my opinion to honor this lineage would be for the people out teaching the form to be able to get it the original way and pass along the history of it in its true nature. Just my thoughts.
Jesse

I learned this form when I was in the Villari org., although I no longer practice it. I too, would be interested in the original version. I dont have an issue with changing something, providing that the change is for the better, not making something worse or totally distorting the original. Something tells me that this form was changed quite a bit. I may be wrong in saying that, but its just a guess.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it went from Chun Sr. to Nick Cerio who taught it to Fred Villari.

Joe Rebelo has a good dvd on the history and applications of the form that is a great dvd.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I see it's been awhile since this post was posted but I'd like to thank "Punisher73" for mentioning me and my dvd.
I'd like to clarify a few points here...
According to recent updates to my initial history, Sources are stating that it was William Chun Sr who actually created this form & Prof Chow santioned it. The form was based on breathing exercises,Stance and footwork drills and select techniques from Prof Chow. Bill Chun Sr. codified it into it's original format.
I have had the honor,pleasure and privilage of having GM Bill Chin Jr demonstrate the original version of the Hansuki form for select others & myself at the first seminar he held in New England. He asked us afterwards what was the "big deal" about this particular form & I informed him that it was our main "connection" to Prof chow in a form format.
In regards to the form in it's present incarnation...
There were many things [or not] taught to Nick Cerio during his visits to see Prof Chow and the material presented to him was so differeent from the style of kenpo he was accustomed to, that I'm sure it overwhelming to him at that time.
From what I can asertain, Prof. Cerio incorporated other aspects of his training with Prof.Chow into the form so as to preserve various material that he had learned,hence, the differences in the form format.
I also want to clarify that it was not Prof. Nick Cerio who taught Fred Villari the form Hansuki, but rather,Prof.Cerio's brother,Frank Cerio
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

I believe it went from Chun Sr. to Nick Cerio who taught it to Fred Villari.

Joe Rebelo has a good dvd on the history and applications of the form that is a great dvd.

Latest Discussions