Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am confused by this video:

1) He says he is in IT
2) He is upset for the cost of the software and the time he updated but not the cost of the laptop at all
3) He is upset about the cost of the bullets
4) He does not know how many bullets his gun has (counting and surprised at the number left)
5) He did not pick up the laptop to show what the bullets did to the laptop

All this makes me think he got a laptop case and shot it and did not really shoot the laptop. That is my opinion on this.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shesulsa - on target.

Teenagers can make you/me crazy...but then thats 2 crazies and then what? well, this.

She did 'something bad' previously re:Facebook. consequences? not much.
Except that Dad still worked on her computer when she asked him to, fixed it,
added lots of sweet stuff and $130 of software? And she learned what?

At her age he was (as he tells us) highly responsible, working etc. and - he keeps
telling us - currently she has very little to be responsible for.
Who is responsible for that?

Reminds me of the cycle of under-responding followed by over-reacting.
Picking mismatched consequences - And seldom holding firm on them usually because they were
poorly considered to start with.

I made lots of mistakes early on but got smarter with help from more skilled/better adults.

Fewer rules than I started with. Clear consequences. No punishment in anger/drama.
No spanking after 5 yrs old and only once or twice before.
No humiliating in front of others - tho i did take him to school wearing his pyjamas
after he didn't get ready on time. Walked him into the office, regular clothes in a bag,
told asst principal to allow him to change when it suited them.
I Never mentioned it again - neither did he and it never happened again.

Best advice from more experienced parents:
"Never lose your temper, except on purpose" Gen Eisenhower

and: Less lecturing, less drama, more consequences: proportional and certain.
lots of hugs, love, fun - not the same as indulgence.
my gratitude to those parents who helped me get smarter.

We get what we raise.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I actually thought the guy over reacted, but I do appreciate his responses to the media attention since posting the video. Seems like a pretty sane, rational guy with a pretty sane, rational daughter. And from what I can tell, both are fairly well adjusted and both have a pretty good sense of humor.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someday, hopefully, we will live in a world where only the government can decide how, when, and to what extent a child may be punished for misbehaving. Perhaps a government official will have to be present at the time; or perhaps parents won't be necessary at all. The government does a better job, after all.

I never said anything about the government doing the job. I said, in a roundabout way, maybe Dad needs to grow up so his daughter can as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am confused by this video:

1) He says he is in IT
2) He is upset for the cost of the software and the time he updated but not the cost of the laptop at all
3) He is upset about the cost of the bullets
4) He does not know how many bullets his gun has (counting and surprised at the number left)
5) He did not pick up the laptop to show what the bullets did to the laptop

All this makes me think he got a laptop case and shot it and did not really shoot the laptop. That is my opinion on this.

He is in IT and as an author of a new IT book. He knows that if his video goes viral, he'll far more get more reach than he ever could with any sort of advertising campaign he could possibly finance.