Hankumdo

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The youtube demo clip= is it me or do their cuts look "short"? Like "chopping wood" short, not "cutting with a sword"

Honestly, what it looks like to me is the right hand doing all the action, pushing the sword forward as well as doing the "steering", with the left hand only there to keep hold of the handle. It provides no counter-pull, which gives a shorter action devoid of power or control.

In other words, they can't cut.

"Pinching the blood groove to make sure it wasnt put away bloody"
Thats a new one. I would have had to hold back laughter. How does she put away a non grooved blade? Would she pinch it too?
Just in class the other night, we were discussing something and the groove came up. One of the kids Had to call it a blood groove. *shaking head*

Ha, woe-betide any of my guys who dare use such a term....

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Pinching the blood groove to make sure it wasnt put away bloody"
Thats a new one. I would have had to hold back laughter. How does she put away a non grooved blade? Would she pinch it too?
Just in class the other night, we were discussing something and the groove came up. One of the kids Had to call it a blood groove. *shaking head*
I cringed every time they slammed the sword into the scabbard in those videos.
I explained to her that that was just plain wrong.

The whole sheathing method. There were other sword related oddities that she had learned from this guy as well. One was holding a katana the way that I see some Chinese swordsmen hold a jian; crading it in one hand in kind of an inverted grip with the blade vertical or following the angle of the arm (best way that I could describe it. If you don't know what I mean, I'll post a picture) for one.

Daniel

RRepster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not looking to add it; I already hold rank in a sword art.

I am aware of the lack of connectedness of modern Korean sword arts to historical Korean sword work and am also aware that there is a heavy Japanese influence in much of it, at least what I see.

What do you know, if anything, of the art? So far as I have seen, it does not appear to be overrun with twirly-twirls or "I just saw Revenge of the Sith" material. It actually looks fairly reserved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kCgWf7X-TA&feature=related

Daniel

Oh admittedly not much, just what I've read from history books and people who study sword arts. The person who posted after you summed it up far better than I could. I did find the part I quoted from the website very telling though as to the real intention behind this Hankydo or whatever he's calling it.

RRepster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, my friend, that may be due to the way such systems are propulgated. The way it seems to me is that each Korean sword system seems to be either taken from a few sources (Japanese and Chinese), or simply made up based on the foundation of the unarmed system itself. As a result, there are as many variations, with as much or little in common as each other, however they seem to all fail as sword systems due to the incompatible sources they borrow from. As I said, I have yet to come across any genuine Korean sword system, the best are basically just a Korean take on a Japanese or Chinese system (not both!).

exactly! So if they want to add to the arts their school teaches why don't they just learn and certify in actual Chinese or Japanese arts and be done with it? What is with this odd need to make and claim something as "Korean?"

/boggled

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
exactly! So if they want to add to the arts their school teaches why don't they just learn and certify in actual Chinese or Japanese arts and be done with it? What is with this odd need to make and claim something as "Korean?"

/boggled
Probably has something to do with having been occupied by Japan and having one party in a civil war supported by the Chinese.

I don't have a problem with making or creating a Korean art, but I would like to see one that is truly a no nonsense sword art that is free of the frivolous extras that many seem to gravitate towards.

Daniel