Handmade Porraits: The Swordmaker

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very interesting video of one of the last (traditional) sword makers in Japan.

[yt]PSZKGzGqOt0[/yt]

I find it kind of sad that 1. this man who wanted to make swords was ostracized by his family. 2. that the traditional old ways of sword making are fading rapidly and he knows it.
I do find it good that he aspires his apprentice to become better than he is and hopes that the old ways will continue on for as long as possible.
:asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a skilful, insightful and dignified man :sensei rei:.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my, none of my swords are going to be in anything like the range of that fellows. I use high-end Tozando for my iaito and bottom-end Paul Chen for my live blades :D.

There used to be a limit on how many swords a 'true' smith was allowed to make and sell in a year - I don't know if that is still true - and as a result a traditionally forged blade costs a pretty penny :faints:.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could have a sword as nice as the ones this gentleman makes. Closest thing I've got is an old wall-hanger that I use to remind me of what not to buy... :lol:

I really enjoyed this video. Unlike other documentaries on sword crafting, which go more into the process of creation, (which were still fantastic to watch, by the by) I really like hearing a story of how someone would get into this kind of trade. It's not exactly the kinda thing you study at uni for. :lol:

Sanke on the move.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh my, none of my swords are going to be in anything like the range of that fellows. I use high-end Tozando for my iaito and bottom-end Paul Chen for my live blades :D.

There used to be a limit on how many swords a 'true' smith was allowed to make and sell in a year - I don't know if that is still true - and as a result a traditionally forged blade costs a pretty penny :faints:.

I can wholly understand and appreciate how you're feeling. Yet wouldn't a blade like that be a true investment, I mean the value of such would only go UP over time and thus you have a truly remarkable rarity ... at least in your area.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true, Caver, aye. I'd love to own one but I simply cannot afford. Also it has to be borne in mind that (again as far as I know) any authentic blade made by a 'proper' swordsmith has to have a permit to be sold abroad. Any existing blade with a history also has to be first offered to the Japanese government before it can be sold elsewhere.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very interesting video of one of the last (traditional) sword makers in Japan.
That is not quite right. There are still a number of traditionally trained swordsmiths in Japan (somewhere around 30 to 40 if I remember correctly). All of them are traditionally trained and produce swords in the traditional manner starting with raw steel (tamahagane). This is because only traditionally produced swords are legal in Japan. They are limited by law to producing only 2 per month. This is why Japanese made swords, shinsakuto, are very expensive. One of the better known modern smiths, Yoshindo Yoshihara, wrote a very informative book about them entitled "Modern Japanese swords and swordsmiths: from 1868 to the present". He goes into detail about some of the better smiths of today, and even traces the lineage of the various schools that are still in existence (12 I believe).

Today, you can buy a full up sword from a lesser known smith in user polish (as opposed to full art polish) starting at around $7000 U.S.
Swords by top ranked modern smiths can be had in full polish (blade only) starting at around 20,000 U.S.

ludde

White Belt
Reaction score
One of the better known modern smiths, Yoshindo Yoshihara, wrote a very informative book about them entitled "Modern Japanese swords and swordsmiths: from 1868 to the present".

Ohhh, thank you for the title Smith!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is not quite right. There are still a number of traditionally trained swordsmiths in Japan (somewhere around 30 to 40 if I remember correctly). All of them are traditionally trained and produce swords in the traditional manner starting with raw steel (tamahagane). This is because only traditionally produced swords are legal in Japan. They are limited by law to producing only 2 per month. This is why Japanese made swords, shinsakuto, are very expensive. One of the better known modern smiths, Yoshindo Yoshihara, wrote a very informative book about them entitled "Modern Japanese swords and swordsmiths: from 1868 to the present". He goes into detail about some of the better smiths of today, and even traces the lineage of the various schools that are still in existence (12 I believe).

Today, you can buy a full up sword from a lesser known smith in user polish (as opposed to full art polish) starting at around $7000 U.S.
Swords by top ranked modern smiths can be had in full polish (blade only) starting at around 20,000 U.S.

Yep, the figure of 30 smiths is mentioned in the video itself. As to Sukerkin's comments about the number of blades a smith is allowed to produce, that came from the number that the top smith at the time was able to make (two long blades, or three short blades), and simply hasn't been updated, despite most smiths being able to produce quality blades in higher quantities.

As to the book, another one that features Yoshihara is "The Craft of the Japanese Sword", if you want a good overview of what swordsmithing involves (http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Japanese-Sword-Leon-Kapp/dp/087011798X)

ludde

White Belt
Reaction score
Today, with the power hammer it is felt that a smith could easily make twice the amount of blades that the law says.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, I remember seeing a clip at where the voiceover was talking about a swordsmith staying true to the old methods, and how amazing that was... while the footage showed him using a power hammer! Wonderful stuff....

ludde

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Remember the same show. It is not out of the ordinary though, yoshindo yoshihara have one in his shop.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As to the book, another one that features Yoshihara is "The Craft of the Japanese Sword", if you want a good overview of what swordsmithing involves (http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Japanese-Sword-Leon-Kapp/dp/087011798X)

Love this line from the description ...
The swords made in Japan today are not, of course, intended for actual use. But their design, the quality of their steel, and the techniques used to create them still derive from the sword's historical function as a lethal hand-held weapon.

My thought still strayed to the wording..."... well, what's the point of having a sword?" ..." Hang it on the wall to look pretty? You can do that with any sword bought at a pawn-shop or indoor flea-market. IMO, if one is going to have a true sword (no matter the national origin, Japanese, Scottish, German, where-ever) then learning to use it (properly) is, to me, the purpose of such a purchase. Otherwise it's just mere decoration on your wall or mantle.

ludde

White Belt
Reaction score
Love this line from the description ...

My thought still strayed to the wording..."... well, what's the point of having a sword?" ..." Hang it on the wall to look pretty? You can do that with any sword bought at a pawn-shop or indoor flea-market. IMO, if one is going to have a true sword (no matter the national origin, Japanese, Scottish, German, where-ever) then learning to use it (properly) is, to me, the purpose of such a purchase. Otherwise it's just mere decoration on your wall or mantle.

Many are satisfied with that. Whatever floats your boat.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nobody today learns the sword in order to use it for what it was invented to do. It's purpose is to kill people, and it is frighteningly good at its purpose. Since we don't kill each other with swords in today's society, we cannot reasonably expect that we'll ever actually use it. That doesn't mean that we don't train seriously with proper intent, it just means that it will never be used for its original purpose. Those that make swords today would be appalled if they thought that their creations were going to actually be used to kill people, therefore none of them intends them to be used for that. The very top smiths cannot even reasonably expect their swords to be used for training, since nobody wants to chance ruining a $20,000 piece of art by accidentally dropping it on the floor.

I'd like to say that not being able to train with it is the reason that I would never shell out the money for a top rank sword. However, the sad truth is that I'll never have enough disposable income that I can afford to throw that much money into buying a sword. :)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do have to say though that buying such a blade and not training with it is as much an insult to the blade as is buying a Ferrari and just keeping in the garage is an insult to the car.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody today learns the sword in order to use it for what it was invented to do. It's purpose is to kill people, and it is frighteningly good at its purpose. Since we don't kill each other with swords in today's society, we cannot reasonably expect that we'll ever actually use it.
Never say never (or "ever" even). There may come a time again.

Latest Discussions