Hand speed

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have read the posts about body mechanics to develop speed. Correct hand speed can only be dictated by the lower body. Proper position of the legs/hips to bring power and speed. I will use 5 swords as an example. Everyone here should know this technique. When stepping forward you are to be in a right neutral bow. From this position you rotate into a forward bow with two strikes on the same rotation. While rotating in a forward bow you strike with the front hand then rear hand. The rear hand can only travel with the rotation of the hips. No rotation no power or speed. (this could be a reason why people think kenpoist have a lot of hand speed) Now to move into the uppercut you must shift back to the neutral bow gaining power with the strike. Sure you could uppercut from the forward bow but there won't be all of the torque or body fusion with the strike. Only striking with the arm. I suppose the next move depends on your lineage/instructor or so forth. The left hand strikes the side of the neck to pull the attacker down. Once again for the fifth strike uses marriage of gravity while turning the hips into a right wide kneel. (I personally use the wide kneel because of being smaller I find it more effective "personally") Now if you want to take it a step further. As the right hand slices through the neck the left palm heel comes up to strike the chin both slicing through their respected targets. Shift your hips into a right reverse wide kneel when slicing the two strikes. This opens the throat for the seventh handsword to the throat. Pick your available target for the back kick and leave the scene. My point on this is sure everyone can do all 7 strikes standing still or slightly moving but if the lower body is working together with the upper the hands will becomes less powerful & your speed will diminish greatly. In this technique we learn 2 strikes on one rotation. Five swords is just a great technique that each hand/arm can pick up the next punching hand if thrown in succession. I really believe that this is one of the tech. that everyone thinks kenpoist hands are extremely fast that's why I used this for an example. Thanks for reading all of the way through and hopefully you aren't rolling your eyes at me.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
originally posted by jfarnsworth
My point on this is sure everyone can do all 7 strikes standing still or slightly moving but if the lower body is working together with the upper the hands will becomes less powerful & your speed will diminish greatly.

Don't you mean you will have greater power and speed?

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good post. Kenpo from the ground up, essential.

You wrote: My point on this is sure everyone can do all 7 strikes standing still or slightly moving but if the lower body is working together with the upper the hands will becomes less powerful & your speed will diminish greatly.

Did you mean to write ...if the lower body is not working together with the upper...

Just curious,
Bill Parsons

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry about that I didn't proof read before I sent it off. Plus I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Sorry about that I didn't proof read before I sent it off. Plus I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

Plus! It's obvious that he isn't practicing his Kenpo typing accuracy drills! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan "Bada-Bing! Bada-Boom!" Farmer

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bumber I wanted "isn't" in that spot. Now I can't go back and edit it because I'm too late. Oh well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

bumber I wanted "isn't" in that spot. Now I can't go back and edit it because I'm too late. Oh well.

If you send an unambiguous request to an administrator we'd be happy to edit it.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a previous post on here that I would like to expand on an idea that was given. (This will probably get off of the original topic but I was thinking about this later today anyway) In the kenpo system we are taught to prefix, suffix, alter, rearrange, insert, delete, regulate, and adjust our techniques. Using one or the other or in multiples aids in making our hand speed look faster. I'm going to use the extension to shielding hammer (maybe not a good one) for this example. After applying the base move we step into a left front twist w/a right downward hammerfist to the groin. From here unwind into a left neutral bow while executing a right obscure vert. elbow to the chin followed by the right underhand heel of palm with then yet a left outward handsword to the throat. In this particular sequence there was three strikes on one rotation of our body. (this was the 1st example that came to mind) In other places we insert or adjust to keep the technique flowing. See my point. Also, the farther you go in learning kenpo we learn half beat, quarter beat timing. Look for this stuff and play around with your techniques this is a good way to learn. Hopefully this will help.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by rmcrobertson
In my considered opinion, the pursuit of speed is a dead end. Certainly, I've never seen a martial arts book--not Mr. parker's--that advocates, or instructs, in building speed. Strength, yes. Power, sure. Form? Above all. But speed...nope, I don't think so. Because it's a dead end. Ask how to build better form.

Thanks.

TKD.

And you have to take into account that you can increase power through speed too...

But I agree with the one who stated that accuracy should come first.

Btw, I think that speed also comes from learning to relax the muscles while moving and before actually hitting. It's one of the principles of kenpo, instantaneous acceleration, you know, the one that says you can safe a lot of energy in a movement by only applying it when needed (free transliteration, of course).

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
TKD.

And you have to take into account that you can increase power through speed too...

But I agree with the one who stated that accuracy should come first.

Btw, I think that speed also comes from learning to relax the muscles while moving and before actually hitting. It's one of the principles of kenpo, instantaneous acceleration, you know, the one that says you can safe a lot of energy in a movement by only applying it when needed (free transliteration, of course).

Exactly, Power = force * velocity

Good point on relaxation.

I agree that speed should be one of the last things you work on. After your form is excelent, you have no bad habits etc.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey bud
don't know if you'd looked into this yet or not, but you might look into various plyometric exercises for the arms. Plyometrics emphasize the development of explosive fast-twitch muscular contractions.... like we want in our punches/jabs.

My favorite is to get a medicine ball and lay on your back on a bench (much like you'd use to bench-press with). Lay the medicine ball on your chest with your hands on either side of the ball, throw the ball straight up into the air above your chest as forcefully as you can..... don't forget to catch it when it comes back down. "ouch" This is much better than just benchpressing forcefully, you can't continue the acceleration through the end of the motion. When you throw it you accellerate through the very end. Clap push-ups can work to a similar end, but not as efficiently.

There are other good ones too. Other than this, don't forget that power comes up from the ground and accelerates through the waist. Don't get into thinking that the muscles used are in the chest/shoulder/arm.... these aren't even the majority of the muscles activated by a jab/punch.

OK... I'm ranting.
But then...hey
It's Me...
Your Brother
John

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Brother John
My favorite is to get a medicine ball and lay on your back on a bench (much like you'd use to bench-press with). Lay the medicine ball on your chest with your hands on either side of the ball, throw the ball straight up into the air above your chest as forcefully as you can..... don't forget to catch it when it comes back down. "ouch" This is much better than just benchpressing forcefully, you can't continue the acceleration through the end of the motion. When you throw it you accellerate through the very end. Clap push-ups can work to a similar end, but not as efficiently.
Ouch, it hurts just to think in not catching it :rofl:

There are other good ones too. Other than this, don't forget that power comes up from the ground and accelerates through the waist. Don't get into thinking that the muscles used are in the chest/shoulder/arm.... these aren't even the majority of the muscles activated by a jab/punch.

He hasn't forget. The force in the equation comes from
Force = mass * acceleration (this is your body weight)
You can't change it in a moment, but you can involve all of your weight in the strike with proper body alignment. That's what my instructors keep telling us all of the time.