hand conditioning side effects

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Your conclusion is incorrect

Well based on your posts it is the conclusion I came to and based on your very short posts that explain little and only leave more questions all I have to say is...

Well, Goodbye. And don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, because it hasn't

bugs-bunnyreclining-499x367.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well based on your posts it is the conclusion I came to and based on your very short posts that explain little and only leave more questions all I have to say is...

No where in any of my posts have I ever stated; "people should not condition" :)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grand Master and his son both trained for iron hand. As a young student Mr. Roberts would not allow me to practice on the makiwara (I was going to be a doctor and he was protecting my hands). Now many years later and retired, I am training in Iron Hand and Grand Master Roberts swears by Dit Da Jow and I have started using it.The training is working but as a physician I am curious about all of the various claims. It would be interesting to see a study that follows the progression of x-rays and mobiity. I'd also love to see comparisons of use of Iron Hand liniments against some sort of placebo. Has anyone heard of such studies?
Thanks
Dennis

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tried Googling "longitudinal" and "iron palm" (and fist, and hand) -- no luck. Haven't tried PubMed yet.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Grand Master and his son both trained for iron hand. As a young student Mr. Roberts would not allow me to practice on the makiwara (I was going to be a doctor and he was protecting my hands). Now many years later and retired, I am training in Iron Hand and Grand Master Roberts swears by Dit Da Jow and I have started using it.The training is working but as a physician I am curious about all of the various claims. It would be interesting to see a study that follows the progression of x-rays and mobiity. I'd also love to see comparisons of use of Iron Hand liniments against some sort of placebo. Has anyone heard of such studies?
Thanks
Dennis

Studies of liniments and placebo maybe harder to find. The medical field is still playing catch up with such studies upon the sbject of Qi

That said, a few points;

Why, if one is not training to fight, subject themselves to this type of conditioning

If one has a improper teacher, they will train improper, thus having future detremental effects

It can be a task to find proper instruction

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
I used to be a boxer, I always wrapped my hands and wrists with tape before putting on the gloves. I was a Filipino martial artist which strengthened my hands and wrists. I take Tai Chi Chuan Yang and Choy Li Fut Kung Fu. From our Kung Fu, we do a lot a different punches on punching hand pads. My four top knuckles of both hands get red after our drilling at the school. At home, I put dit da jao Chinese ointment on my knuckles and in a few minutes my red knuckles turn to dark brown knuckles. Dit da jao is also good for scabs which I used on my fingers, dit da jao makes the scab smaller and smaller as the days go by so in about a week or less the scab is gone. Dit da jao ointment is a careful mixture of ingredients that makes a dark brown ointment (the darker the better). It is placed under ground for a year to achieve full potency. It really works. I put it on cuts after traditional treatment (cleaning and antiseptic). That works too. By the way I am a purple sash in Choy Li Fut Kung Fu and a blue sash in Tai Chi Chuan Yang. Ethnically I am a mix of Visayan, Amoy Chinese, Apache, and Cherokee, Tamil, Ita, and Basco (in that order)

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to be a boxer, I always wrapped my hands and wrists with tape before putting on the gloves. I was a Filipino martial artist which strengthened my hands and wrists. I take Tai Chi Chuan Yang and Choy Li Fut Kung Fu. From our Kung Fu, we do a lot a different punches on punching hand pads. My four top knuckles of both hands get red after our drilling at the school. At home, I put dit da jao Chinese ointment on my knuckles and in a few minutes my red knuckles turn to dark brown knuckles. Dit da jao is also good for scabs which I used on my fingers, dit da jao makes the scab smaller and smaller as the days go by so in about a week or less the scab is gone. Dit da jao ointment is a careful mixture of ingredients that makes a dark brown ointment (the darker the better). It is placed under ground for a year to achieve full potency. It really works. I put it on cuts after traditional treatment (cleaning and antiseptic). That works too. By the way I am a purple sash in Choy Li Fut Kung Fu and a blue sash in Tai Chi Chuan Yang. Ethnically I am a mix of Visayan, Amoy Chinese, Apache, and Cherokee, Tamil, Ita, and Basco (in that order)

Interesting

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jow on open wounds... not sure I'd be willing to go that way.

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
I do drills chop choy (punching straigt), doing jong choy (uppercut), sau choy (wide sweeping hooks), gwa choy (vertical downward swing with back of your fist), kup choy (vertical downward swing with front of your fist). I have been doing these drills four days a week for over a year at a Choy Li Fut school. I use dit da jao, a dark brown ointment which toughens the knuckles. My knuckles would be red after training, then after using dit da jao, my knuckles would turn dark brown. I also take a calcium pill every day, and also drink milk every day. My hands, knuckles, feet, and forearms have survived over the year. I have a purple sash in Choy Li Fut and a blue sash in Tai Chi Chuan Yang. I hope some of this info helps.

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you know exactly what is in your dit da jow. Many people have no idea. the best advice would be to NEVER EVER use it on wounds where the herbs can get into your bloodstream and cause havoc. Some jow formulations are toxic and use poisonous herbs.

Please stop telling people to do this. It is bad Wu De as well as portraying you as an ignorant rube.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless you know exactly what is in your dit da jow. Many people have no idea. the best advice would be to NEVER EVER use it on wounds where the herbs can get into your bloodstream and cause havoc. Some jow formulations are toxic and use poisonous herbs.

Please stop telling people to do this. It is bad Wu De as well as portraying you as an ignorant rube.

Thanks Dale!

This is somebody who knows exactly what's up. I've purchased from him & have complete faith in what he's told me since it's EXACTLY what I've been told before in two different Chinatowns here in America, in China & by people who didn't know each other.

Don't listen to me... I'm ok with that. Ignore Dale your own risk.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And absolutely seconded from another part of the world as well. My former instructor was a TCM practitioner who made his own Jow as well, and the most basic rule is that if there is any break in the skin, don't use the stuff! He never told me exactly what was in it, but the hints were enough for me to stop asking a few questions....

Latest Discussions