hammerlock? / tonfa unarmed

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current question is is the hammerlock sometimes refered to as the figure 4 lock thought please thank you.
I've never heard that name used for it, but it's possible someone calls it that. Can you give us some context for the question?

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok I was looking at a video I think it was on locks can you answer the following question nightsticks are generally banned perhaps I may get by with a self defesne crowned pen so my question is will the hammerlock be enhanced by using the kubotan or similar? thoughts please thank you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never heard that name used for it, but it's possible someone calls it that. Can you give us some context for the question?

Would have said the kimoura would be the figure 4.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I was looking at a video I think it was on locks can you answer the following question nightsticks are generally banned perhaps I may get by with a self defesne crowned pen so my question is will the hammerlock be enhanced by using the kubotan or similar? thoughts please thank you.
If you know how to use it, adding a stick or kubotan can make most locks more secure. In most cases, it's not the ability to add pain, but the ability to extend the grip at a 90 degree angle (as the stick/kubotan protrudes from the fist) with something that doesn't have much give. Of course, the pain component can also be useful, if the person responds to pain.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a number of holds that can be call a figure 4 lock. There are figure 4 arm locks as well as figure 4 leg locks. The kimura and the V-arm lock (americana) can be figure 4 locks or can be a version of the double wrist lock.