hair pulling

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you consider it a technique? To be taught? (Not saying it is not.)
There's certain ways to do it so that its more effective. You grab the hair firmly with both hands and you shake. Learned that from mom.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is not the killer techneque that some would have you believe, you just as likely as not to end up with,a handful of hair that no longer has a head attached and,a very upset person with a new bald patch

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually needed to pull hair once to pull a big guy down to my level. While I was thinking what to do, I was seeing myself doing it automatically. Then finished with the classic RNC.

I believe I used it because I was always considering this option in training, even not actually using it. On the other hand, I always forget the head but, so I am vulnerable to it and might miss an opportunity for that. 'Dirty' stuff should be trained, especially if self defence in mind, but with moderation, IMHO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is not the killer techneque that some would have you believe, you just as likely as not to end up with,a handful of hair that no longer has a head attached and,a very upset person with a new bald patch
If you comb into the hair, you'd have to pull really hard to separate that much hair. In which case (absent significant pharmaceuticals), the pain would probably distract them, and you'd have a handful of their own hair to toss in their face.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you comb into the hair, you'd have to pull really hard to separate that much hair. In which case (absent significant pharmaceuticals), the pain would probably distract them, and you'd have a handful of their own hair to toss in their face.
their pulling to get away , it really depends how fine the hair is, as for the pain, adrenaline usually takes care of that

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While bartending, I saw plenty of fights and had to break up more than I cared to count. The women absolutely loved the hair pull. The most common thing I saw them do was grab a fistful of hair with one hand, pull them down to about waist level, and punch the face with the other hand like there was no tomorrow. Quite hard to break those ones up. It was even more difficult to break up the ones where both women had fistfuls of hair. That was pretty much impossible.

I've also seen it on Jerry Springer quite a few times, minus the punching. I think punches are banned on the show :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have long hair, you are offering the other person a handle with which to control your head somewhat.

Not saying that people should not have long hair, just that, potentially, it offers the other person a place to gain advantage. Sure, it can pull out, but you'd be surprised how much control you can have on a guy with a pony tail, just by pulling back and slightly down. Women with long hair (pretty much anyone in any sort of MA or SD with long hair) need to be aware. It's a thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have long hair, you are offering the other person a handle with which to control your head somewhat.

Not saying that people should not have long hair, just that, potentially, it offers the other person a place to gain advantage. Sure, it can pull out, but you'd be surprised how much control you can have on a guy with a pony tail, just by pulling back and slightly down. Women with long hair (pretty much anyone in any sort of MA or SD with long hair) need to be aware. It's a thing.

I assume it would be the same as head control. So they hair grab. You would need your hips under you and your head high and close to theirs. Grind your forehead into their nose.
Which would be the reverse of trying to wrist lock a hair grab.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume it would be the same as head control. So they hair grab. You would need your hips under you and your head high and close to theirs. Grind your forehead into their nose.
The hair can give a better handle for some kinds of head control, and long hair allows whipping back and forth to confuse the muscles, but the principles are similar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The hair can give a better handle for some kinds of head control, and long hair allows whipping back and forth to confuse the muscles, but the principles are similar.

I have dragged people backwards with a hair pull. I have seen a friend of mine drag a guy across the ground by his hair. Which are things you couldn't really do with just head control.

So there would be some sort of specific tricks with hair pulls.

I used hair to secure a hammer lock from time to time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dragged people backwards with a hair pull. I have seen a friend of mine drag a guy across the ground by his hair. Which are things you couldn't really do with just head control.

So there would be some sort of specific tricks with hair pulls.

I used hair to secure a hammer lock from time to time.
I'm trying to picture that last one. Sounds handy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to picture that last one. Sounds handy.

If you go really high you can just lock it off one handed.

Or with the other hand that should be securing the head anyway.

See bouncing people don't like neck grabs even when they are nicer.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never taught hair pulling, other than an aside in self defense. Taught hair pulling defense, though. Comes in handy some times.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone who missed it, here is the thread in which I discussed my most recent experiment with hair grabs on the ground.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assumption you made here Drop was that bad guy was in front, as in the middle of afight. My thought was from any directions, at the outset of the engagement (front, side, flank or rear). What you've described is what I've come up with to deal witht he front one, though... though I tell people to go Osotogari instead of head butt, but that's just my nice guy thing in action.

And, some folks can't reach the other person's nose, but everyone can reach the other guy's feet. Well... I just had that image pop into my mind of an adult holding off a 5 year old with a hand on the forehead, so...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assumption you made here Drop was that bad guy was in front, as in the middle of afight. My thought was from any directions, at the outset of the engagement (front, side, flank or rear). What you've described is what I've come up with to deal witht he front one, though... though I tell people to go Osotogari instead of head butt, but that's just my nice guy thing in action.

And, some folks can't reach the other person's nose, but everyone can reach the other guy's feet. Well... I just had that image pop into my mind of an adult holding off a 5 year old with a hand on the forehead, so...

I was thinking about it as I wrote it. I did hair defence back in the day. But never really fought them on. Classic trap and lock stuff.

Ff5Ue_hS-S6Q9eJOrGY38IBuiVDoXF7_TVGA7hrB_Np6FOgaO6BfM_wF_jG1z6thoTzkyKNHYIoZqj3PINiXKdlNAu9Od0LqLgHXd6tbehzVwkUi2yUqhucxKNmK7LDc-MddEvucYd9o5xIMS6x9zVaOmj4=w500-h281-nc

I don't know if this weakens you own base too much.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also seen it on Jerry Springer quite a few times, minus the punching. I think punches are banned on the show :)

I don't believe any of the fights on Jerry Springer are real. If you ask me, I would say they're about as realistic as pro wrestling.

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This happens way more when I wrestle boys than women. We usually agree to "no biting, hairpulling, scratching, unnecessary grabbing" before a match.

But for whatever reason, the guys I roll with always have to be immature idiots and go for the hair when they know I've got them good. My response? Grab and pull theirs back...HARDER haha. I once got so fed up with this sore loser so much that I kept a tight grip on his hair while I had him in a guillotine.

Granted, this is all just for fun during informal wrestling. I doubt I'd ever get away with it in the BJJ training gym

Last edited:

Latest Discussions