Had my first 3 Boxing lessons.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had my first 3 Boxing lessons. Good workout and I enjoyed it. Getting my footwork down and learning how to throw all the punches and to protect myself and block punches. This is my only self defense I have not been trained in any other martial arts.

My question is how well does boxing work if you actually need to use it in a self defense / street fight scenario? Obviously their is no referee in a street fight so your not fighting by the rules of boxing. From some of the street fights I have seen I have never seen to people really square up to each other in tradional boxing stances. Ive seen one person charge the other and try to tackle them and turn it into a wrestling match. So I guess as a boxer you want to knock out with the first couple punches and end it there. As a boxer how do you defend someone charging you? My initial thoughts were knee them in the face

Avoid the fight to begin with, or find a way out of it. I would think it'd be the adult thing to do. You never know if they are carrying..i.e weapons? But in my opinion, and I don't claim to be a master at this, I would say since you are new, become good with something and add other things with it like some other form of MA that involves techniques for wrestling, grappling, takedowns, etc. Since you are new then it's going to take time to learn anyways and I'd take my first suggestion. P.s....try to spar often lol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boxers do work on footwork to operate at their desired range. Some boxers clinch and throw short punches, others keep their distance and find the right time to throw that powerful cross. So a boxer might not be used to grabs and sweeps, but they're used to people fighting in close. They might not be used to kicks, but they might be used to guys who keep their distance.

I'm not saying they're the best fighters. I'm also not saying they can't be caught by a surprise sweep or kick. But they know how to punch.
Dropbear kind of explained it, but basically what your saying would work in theory but doesn't work as much in reality. A boxer may be used to someone coming in close, and know how to defend against a boxer doing so, but they won't know how to handle a sweep in a clinch, or defend against throws. A boxer might be used to people keeping distance, but keeping distance for a puncher and a kicker are two entirely different things. The issue here isn't that they'd lose (not the better fighter), but that they wouldn't be able to use their punching effectively.

The best example I can think of is to look at MMA fights between an MMAist and a pure boxer. Don't look at the scores or final results, see if you can find who had more effective punches. Assuming the same level of skill, it will most likely be the MMAist, even though they don't only train punches.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dropbear kind of explained it, but basically what your saying would work in theory but doesn't work as much in reality. A boxer may be used to someone coming in close, and know how to defend against a boxer doing so, but they won't know how to handle a sweep in a clinch, or defend against throws. A boxer might be used to people keeping distance, but keeping distance for a puncher and a kicker are two entirely different things. The issue here isn't that they'd lose (not the better fighter), but that they wouldn't be able to use their punching effectively.

The best example I can think of is to look at MMA fights between an MMAist and a pure boxer. Don't look at the scores or final results, see if you can find who had more effective punches. Assuming the same level of skill, it will most likely be the MMAist, even though they don't only train punches.

More quantity of effective punches or quality of effective punches?

Most of the fights I've seen that are MMA vs. Boxer, the MMA fighter is trying to take striking out of the equation.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good stuff, boxing. It's a great supplement to other Martial Arts in my opinion.

Pretty good for self defense, too.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More quantity of effective punches or quality of effective punches?

Most of the fights I've seen that are MMA vs. Boxer, the MMA fighter is trying to take striking out of the equation.
A combination, that's why I'm saying effective punching, not just punching in general. Even from a clinch or grappling position, the mma fighter can throw effective punches, while the boxer doesn't know how to make effective punches from that position, without crosstraining.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avoid the fight to begin with, or find a way out of it. I would think it'd be the adult thing to do. You never know if they are carrying..i.e weapons? But in my opinion, and I don't claim to be a master at this, I would say since you are new, become good with something and add other things with it like some other form of MA that involves techniques for wrestling, grappling, takedowns, etc. Since you are new then it's going to take time to learn anyways and I'd take my first suggestion. P.s....try to spar often lol.
Good advice!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been beaten up by just about everybody over the years. Every type, every style, every everything.
And you know I am a Karate man at heart, always will be. And I know some Martial Artists who can punch real scary good.

But nobody, and I mean nobody, punches as well as a good boxer.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been beaten up by just about everybody over the years. Every type, every style, every everything.
And you know I am a Karate man at heart, always will be. And I know some Martial Artists who can punch real scary good.

Except those scary Shotokan folk from back in the day hey Buka :D

(Ikken Hissatsu!)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Except those scary Shotokan folk from back in the day hey Buka :D

(Ikken Hissatsu!)

Amen to that. Especially because those boys weren't wearing any gloves.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I thought you were a chain belt in kung fu? As long as you don’t show any weaknesses and bruise on the inside, that’s all that matters.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I even have the red hood, bro.
One of these days, I’m going to learn that kata. Quart of Blood Technique. Even the name is badass. After all, it ain’t cool being a jive turkey, especially when it’s close to thanksgiving.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Had my first 3 Boxing lessons. Good workout and I enjoyed it. Getting my footwork down and learning how to throw all the punches and to protect myself and block punches. This is my only self defense I have not been trained in any other martial arts.

My question is how well does boxing work if you actually need to use it in a self defense / street fight scenario? Obviously their is no referee in a street fight so your not fighting by the rules of boxing. From some of the street fights I have seen I have never seen to people really square up to each other in tradional boxing stances. Ive seen one person charge the other and try to tackle them and turn it into a wrestling match. So I guess as a boxer you want to knock out with the first couple punches and end it there. As a boxer how do you defend someone charging you? My initial thoughts were knee them in the face

Boxing is gold in the street
Don’t worry about the other stuff now
Just focus on boxing and footwork
Also I would avoid too much sparring as your brain will get damaged over time

Latest Discussions