Had a Seizure in Jiu Jitsu Class Today

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your training wont work every time. People will come along and beat you. Even non trained guys can catch you out. Even if you are percieved as technically better. You learn to be humble and see the truth of things.

Your training is no longer based on what should happen but based on what does happen.

And when you learn to do that you become a better martial artist.

I hope I don't sound petty but I think the result was more of a combination of luck and me being taken by surprise than a question of skill or strength.

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They are still factors that got you choked unconsious.

Fair enough, he did do well. Showed a lot of strength to get in the mount and then pin me. I'm sure I'll be better prepared for next time though.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got to go get on top of that kid, bro... don't let him go forward playin' you like that. Next time, power force your way into a full mount, ground and pound him a couple imes and then front choke him out with your nose pressed right up against his saying, "Fun, ain't it!"

Wait... sorry... Flashback from a "Get in My Guard" youtube video. Don't do that.

Sorry, couldn't resist since you made light of the situation already yourself. Agree with the above though, make apt witht he doc, let him/her know what happened, and just make sure.

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You got to go get on top of that kid, bro... don't let him go forward playin' you like that. Next time, power force your way into a full mount, ground and pound him a couple imes and then front choke him out with your nose pressed right up against his saying, "Fun, ain't it!"

Wait... sorry... Flashback from a "Get in My Guard" youtube video. Don't do that.

Sorry, couldn't resist since you made light of the situation already yourself. Agree with the above though, make apt witht he doc, let him/her know what happened, and just make sure.

Scare him away from all martial arts, I like your thinking lol

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Jiu Jitsu class, I sparred off against an 11 year old child who must have been about 90 pounds and 1 foot shorter and had only attended a few classes. I'm 34 years old and have been attending class for about 2 months now so I didn't want to try too hard. This attitude led to him (impressively) getting me in a full mount with his legs pinning my shoulders so his arms were free and mine weren't. He then strangled me. (sidenote: is this a legal move?) I tapped out with my feet as my arms were pinned and I couldn't verbally say it. The kid didn't notice me tapping and knocked me out. Fair play to the kid as he told me that he let go as soon as I went out. So I had a seizure on the mats and urinated as well. I'm completely fine, more amused than anything out of the instructor's concern for the mats. Wife was worried about brain hypoxia but I assured her that's only for long durations of unconsciousness. My neck is really tender with a red mark on it so I think I'll skip classes for a week or two until healed.

That would have been some way to go, huh? The missus keeps telling me this sport is too dangerous, but I didn't think I would be in danger from children! I didn't go to the hospital but I'm going to go in tomorrow just to make sure. Do I win the prize for the craziest day?

Why couldn't you say "tap"?

Strangling is fine. Pretty much as long as it's not a strike it's okay. You can take your shoulder, jam it into their throat, and then hop on your toes and drive it in and it is a legitimate tap. Only things that are off limits, at lower levels, is certain leg locks because it's easy to cause long lasting damage with them.

Maybe because I'm a 6'1" 200 lbs guy but I can't see myself getting pinned by a 90 lbs person. Just buck them off. If you keep your hands in tight, if they mount that high, you should be able to chuck them forward over your head.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The missus keeps telling me this sport is too dangerous, but I didn't think I would be in danger from children! I didn't go to the hospital but I'm going to go in tomorrow just to make sure. Do I win the prize for the craziest day?

Describe this seizure?

When people get choked out they sometimes twitch a little, but it's very different then a seizure. I'm not saying you didn't, just that if someone has never seen a seizure and the twitchy thing that happens when someone is out from a choke it might be easy to confuse.

The sport is as safe as any other. But safety is largely around how you train, at 11 I would not personally teach chokes after just a couple classes, there are far more important things to learn first. There are also safe ways to choke a person, and unsafe ways. Direct pressure on the wind pipe - that's not nice, and more dangerous then a blood choke.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The sport is as safe as any other. But safety is largely around how you train, at 11 I would not personally teach chokes after just a couple classes, there are far more important things to learn first. There are also safe ways to choke a person, and unsafe ways. Direct pressure on the wind pipe - that's not nice, and more dangerous then a blood choke.

A lot of BJJ schools don't allow air/wind pipe chokes for minors. Blood chokes are hit and miss.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Strangling is fine. Pretty much as long as it's not a strike it's okay. You can take your shoulder, jam it into their throat, and then hop on your toes and drive it in and it is a legitimate tap. Only things that are off limits, at lower levels, is certain leg locks because it's easy to cause long lasting damage with them.

Maybe because I'm a 6'1" 200 lbs guy but I can't see myself getting pinned by a 90 lbs person. Just buck them off. If you keep your hands in tight, if they mount that high, you should be able to chuck them forward over your head.

Two reasons
If you are super high in mount there is no buck. As you are relying on your hips

And dudes can sit on one ton bulls and not get bucked if they have good mobility.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There are a lot of things that are illegal under most sub grappling rules that aren't strikes or leg locks. especially at 11 years old.

Nor I, I'm not a beginner though. And I am experienced in how to roll with someone half my size or smaller.

For a beginner who while trying to go nice and easy because the person is smaller to end up caught, have the response to try and tap out and then pass out before figuring out a way out that was safe for the kid... that's certainly possible.

Sure, if he started thrashing and bucking he probably would have gotten free, but it's training and it's a kid. Tapping out seems more then reasonable. And if you aren't experienced enough recognizing that you are about to go out before it's too late and hitting tunnel vision on tapping seems more then possible.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two reasons
If you are super high in mount there is no buck. As you are relying on your hips

And dudes can sit on one ton bulls and not get bucked if they have good mobility.

If a person is relatively close to your body weight (or more), I agree it is certainly in the hips. With Someone much small than you, you can buck with your upper body. If a person is high mounted with their weight forward, and I get my elbows wriggled under, then I can still buck them over. Bench press might be a better term than buck here. I grapple with a handful of folks who are smaller than me who think they can grab a high mount on me without putting their knees into my armpits to secure open elbows and they usually find themselves getting thrown off.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that are illegal under most sub grappling rules that aren't strikes or leg locks. especially at 11 years old.

At 11, yes, what they can do to each other. I was answering what can be done to an adult (since he said he's 34) and what an adult can do to another adult. Restricted moved are rather limited. What the kid can do to another kid and what he can do to the kid, yes, are quite restricted.

For a beginner who while trying to go nice and easy because the person is smaller to end up caught, have the response to try and tap out and then pass out before figuring out a way out that was safe for the kid... that's certainly possible.

Sure, if he started thrashing and bucking he probably would have gotten free, but it's training and it's a kid. Tapping out seems more then reasonable. And if you aren't experienced enough recognizing that you are about to go out before it's too late and hitting tunnel vision on tapping seems more then possible.

Concur but I think a huge part of training is adjusting your strategy based on who you're sparring with. Do I really want to pull that 300 lb go on to me? Or, am I really going to be successful pinning him in side control or, in this case, high mount. If they let me, yeah, but sparring usually involves resistance.

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

He had two hands around my throat pretty tightly, I couldn't speak. I did try to buck but I couldn't get any head leverage and could only move my legs.

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Describe this seizure?

When people get choked out they sometimes twitch a little, but it's very different then a seizure. I'm not saying you didn't, just that if someone has never seen a seizure and the twitchy thing that happens when someone is out from a choke it might be easy to confuse.

I don't know what it looked like, but after reading replies it could well have been the twitchy thing.

And I don't think anyone had taught him it! It definitely is not nice, one of the reasons why I thought it was not a legal move.

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If a person is relatively close to your body weight (or more), I agree it is certainly in the hips. With Someone much small than you, you can buck with your upper body. If a person is high mounted with their weight forward, and I get my elbows wriggled under, then I can still buck them over. Bench press might be a better term than buck here. I grapple with a handful of folks who are smaller than me who think they can grab a high mount on me without putting their knees into my armpits to secure open elbows and they usually find themselves getting thrown off.

I couldn't get any elevation.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Jiu Jitsu class, I sparred off against an 11 year old child who must have been about 90 pounds and 1 foot shorter and had only attended a few classes. I'm 34 years old and have been attending class for about 2 months now so I didn't want to try too hard. This attitude led to him (impressively) getting me in a full mount with his legs pinning my shoulders so his arms were free and mine weren't. He then strangled me. (sidenote: is this a legal move?) I tapped out with my feet as my arms were pinned and I couldn't verbally say it. The kid didn't notice me tapping and knocked me out. Fair play to the kid as he told me that he let go as soon as I went out. So I had a seizure on the mats and urinated as well. I'm completely fine, more amused than anything out of the instructor's concern for the mats. Wife was worried about brain hypoxia but I assured her that's only for long durations of unconsciousness. My neck is really tender with a red mark on it so I think I'll skip classes for a week or two until healed.

That would have been some way to go, huh? The missus keeps telling me this sport is too dangerous, but I didn't think I would be in danger from children! I didn't go to the hospital but I'm going to go in tomorrow just to make sure. Do I win the prize for the craziest day?

What's worse is I hear his sixty pound younger sister is gunning for you. Aims to make you a notch on her new Garanimals.

Welcome to MartialTalk, James. :)