Guns + Martial Arts...

OP
A

AnimEdge

Battle-Scars :p my view of fair-ness is two people fighting unarmed hand to hand not to the death :p

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
for some good people to train with try tftt, tactical firearms training team. they are out of S.Calif. I know guys who have attended their classes and recommend them highly. I believe they have a website but I am not sure of the address.

kelly

OP
G

Gaidheal

I consider fire-arms usage a martial art, by definition. Though I dislike the 'art' idea in MA at all and tend to use the term 'combatives' or 'close quarters combat training / tactical engagement training' (CQBT / TacEng Training). Whatever you call it though, it amounts to the same thing: relatively close range encounters with opponents who mean to cause serious bodily harm or death to you or others you intend to protect. In this context it makes sense to train with guns, sticks, knives, swords, chairs, ashtrays... you get my point, I am sure ;¬)

So, in short, you are far from alone in your view that fire-arms complement unarmed techniques and also you probably already realize that there is a whole more than either, such as the overal tactical skills and situational awareness development.

Many here think as you do, myself included and to my knowledge, Tgace, whom I seem to keep having long discussions with on topics related to this sort of thing.

For a laugh:

"If someone comes up to me and threatens me I am just going to pull my gun and shoot the [expletive] in the face."

"No matter how well trained someone is there is no way they'd be able to shoot me with the level of [Martial Art Training] I have now."

Both real quotes I had said to me by people I am acquainted with. So yes, there is an awful lot of ignorant people out there not only risking their own lives but potentially that of others by perpetuating such myths. Needless to say I disabused both of their false ideas. Sadly the second guy still did not want to believe and continues to maintain his position. The first guy trains in a martial art now.

John

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John,

That last part about the shooter taking MA made me think. This is IMHO now...I tend to see more shooters accepting of MA training than the other way around. I have seen some of the "Id just shoot him" stuff yes, but it seems like Ive seen more reasons given by MArtists not to learn firearms skills.

OP
G

Gaidheal

Sadly, that is my experience too. Especially from those with a lot of time invested in a traditional 'art'. I suspect it is mental conditiong, i.e. they really have bought into some of the mystical 'I am untouchable, I am one with nature, I am energy' etc, etc, stuff that certain schools of certain styles seem to encourage. The 'gun guy' saw how easy and effective what I did to him was and said "Damn! I want to learn how to do that!". The MA guy said, "Yeah, but if it was for real, I move quicker." Hmmm. Sure he would! LOL All he needs to do is tell his body "This is for real!" and suddenly it will all move quicker.. of course to a point he is right, thanks to Adrenaline (tm) the wonder-drug.. but even with the adrenaline going you can't outrun a bullet.

John

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "Nike defense" is valid, and works most of the time, but is based on the shooter standing still and blasting away at a moving target. Seen cases where the shooter ran right behind the victim firing away. Everything is situational huh?

OP
G

Gaidheal

Oh entirely situational. It was me 'shooting' (plastic BBs) I don't stand still if a target is running away. I chased him and put about 4 or 5 plastic BBs into his back. I figured that made the point (given the pathetic accuracy and ROF [slide has to be racked for each round] of my toy gun). It appears it was lost on him. My only worry is that this guy is now a Black Belt in his system and I fear he will instill the same silly prejudices in colour belts who train with him.

John

Latest Discussions