Guatamala jungle trek

Discussion in 'Seminars, Camps, Events & Tournaments' started by Gweilo, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Gweilo

Gweilo 2nd Black Belt

• Like Like x 2
  2. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    That sounds like an exciting trip. Is it all pleasure or will you guys be doing a lot of training?

I won’t leave the United States anymore, and my jungle days are long gone. But I hope you have a rocking time.

3. Gweilo

Gweilo 2nd Black Belt

This is a second jungle trek, back in september we did a 10 day trek in Borneo, there is no MA training as such, it is an exercise in physical and mental test of oneself, anyone who has ever been in a jungle enviroment learns if you fight the jungle your on a loser, its about getting back to how we are supposed to move, getting back in touch with our senses, and overcoming challenges that cannot be accurately replicated in the civillian enviroment, yes its with local guides, and in Borneo we had some former and existing elite forces guys from around the globe, its open to anyone, although as I type there is 1 space of the 15 remaining, its not about a MA in perticular but a great personal challenge, finishing with 2 days R&R on a caribbean island.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

My OH did jungle training in Belize and in Brunei under the leadership of Gurkhas, he learnt a lot but did not enjoy it. He wouldn't have gone if he didn't have to, ended up fighting in the Falklands war so did no good at all. :)

5. Gweilo

Gweilo 2nd Black Belt

Thats the British army, prepare for every eventuality, be it the jungle or the snow, gotta love the Gurkhas, I wind a family member up who served in 2 para in the Faulklands, I tell him the Argentinians surrendered because they knew the Gurkha were coming, not because of the commando and Para regiments.
    As for Jungle treks, I enjoy the challenge, the constant background noise gets most people uncomfortable at night, and the insects, along with the heat and humidity in the day. No phones or tv, not washing properly for a while, a good challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Well my other half was RAF Regiment rather than army but I do know the Gurkhas were disappointed in not getting much of a fight in the Falklands, made up for in in Afghan though and worth their weight in gold in the Malayan Crisis. There is a permanent Gurkha unit in Brunei.
    One of our guys is former 2 Para, he's instructor at Infantry training school now on P company.

Not washing on exercise or deployment is normal, you can smell the soap etc of newly washed people so is a giveaway. If you aren't hiding though the best anti mossie spray though is from Avon. A £2.25 moisturiser that doubles up as an insect repellent is the Royal Marines' secret weapon

7. Gweilo

Gweilo 2nd Black Belt

24 tours in Afghanistan the Gurkha regiments completed, top guys. Hats off to your OH being RAF, and in the Faulklands too.

8. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

9. Gweilo

Gweilo 2nd Black Belt

Hmmm, wont be trying that product, rather get bitten, than walk around smelling like Beyonce.
    On another note, just followed one of your links, with the young man Jacob Jones, great skills for a young man, but what was the most impressive, was his ability to move constantly in the competition clips, great to see, not bad with the Jo either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

We were both in the RAF, it's how we met, been married 45 years this year perhaps his jungle training came in useful after all lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Lol.

Louisiana softball and Baseball players discovered this last year and swore by it to keep away gnats during games.123