Guan (or Gwan) Dao

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i wonder what is the difference in combat (not in shape, i can see what the difference is) between a guan dao and a pudao (horse cutter).

Does the useage differ between these 2 weapons?

i'll ask in another way, just to be clear. Can I practice pudao forms with a gwan dao or vice versa?

thanks

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't the "horse cutter" much smaller than a guan dao?

I didn't think they were interchangeable, but I'm sure with a little modification the forms could be done with either weapon.

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that's what i thought too
however, when i was looking online to buy a horse cutter i found ones as tall as guan dao's. i know the ones we have in class have a smaller rod than guan dao!

we're learning the pudao in the new curriculum, i cant wait until i see a horse on the street... they better run as fast as they can :)

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've done a pu dao form but never a guan dao form. I don't see any reason why the form I did couldn't be done with a guan dao. Many times different weapons use many similar techniques with some techniques being different. Ex. a spear and staff share many similar techniques while a spear has additional ones that a staff does not.

Just from memory though... doesn't a guan dao have a pointed bottom that can be used like a spear while the pu dao doesn't? That would be one hint to differences of useage.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah... i have to apologize here
i mixed up a pudao with a horse cutter!

a pudao is as tall as a gwan dao, and it has a blade that is shorter than the blade of a "horse cutter". the horse cutter is called zhang ma dao or zhanmado.

i was about to buy the wrong thing!

knowing that Gwan Dao has nothing to do with a "horse cutter" (zhangmadao).

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thinking about it more...

Wasn't the Guan Dao supposed to be used from on a horse?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yep
i think guan dao let's u split a person if you lay that thing on it.
but the horse cutter (zhan ma dao) is to cut the legs of the horse when you're on your feet

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
mantis said:
wow that's amazing. this kids is really in control!!

Yup, one heck of a lot more than I had back when I was working with the Guan.

And better yet, I think he's 10 years old. I didn't have that control in my 30s with the Guan

Elizabeth

White Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's my newbie experience with the weapons interchangeability: In the the guan dao class I recently started my sifu assigned (what I now know is) a pu dao to many beginning students (like me) instead of the gwan dao. He seemed to be basing his decision primarily on the weight of the weapon -- i.e. using the pu dao as a lightweight gwan dao.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's my newbie experience with the weapons interchangeability: In the the guan dao class I recently started my sifu assigned (what I now know is) a pu dao to many beginning students (like me) instead of the gwan dao. He seemed to be basing his decision primarily on the weight of the weapon -- i.e. using the pu dao as a lightweight gwan dao.

Cool thanks, and welcome.

I have no idea how heavy the Gwan I was training with weighed, as I have said before it always ended up feeling like it weighed a ton before I was done, but I have not worked with it for a long time. The only thing I can find on weight is that Guan's Guandao weighed between 100 and 200 pounds. I am certain the one I used was not that heavy.

How much does the pu dao weigh?

Elizabeth

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Regarding the weight of the pu dao: I don't remember what the specifics are -- but my next class is later this morning so I'll check then.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Regarding the weight of the pu dao: I don't remember what the specifics are -- but my next class is later this morning so I'll check then.

Cool. Let us know what you find out. :)

Latest Discussions