Greetings from Tokyo

K50Marine

White Belt
Reaction score
I was on Okinawa for over 4 years in the Marines. The first time was just a 6 month deployment in 1993-1994 where half the time was at Camp Schwab constantly training in the field (jungle warfare) while attached to 4th Marines and the other half of the deployment was at Camp Fuji on the mainland conducting cold weather training and live fire training. We did get quite a bit of off duty liberty in Tokyo which was awesome! When I reenlisted I got assigned to Okinawa again from 1995-1999. I spent time with various units at Camp Courtney and Camp Hansen and had more free time. I trained in Shorin Ryu Karate briefly under Master Eizo Shimabukuro (Joe Lewis's instructor) and later Master Angi Uezu in Isshin Ryu Karate and earned my Green Belt and participated in numerous sparring matches. One of my life's biggest regrets is not earning my black belt over there, but I guess that is life. One thing that is hard in the Marine Corps is that you are always being deployed and it interferes with off duty martial arts training. While on Okinawa, I got deployed 3 times to South Korea (3 month deployments), twice to Thailand (3 month deployments), and once back to the USA for a school for 2 months.

OP
K

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that is hard in the Marine Corps is that you are always being deployed and it interferes with off duty martial arts training. While on Okinawa, I got deployed 3 times to South Korea (3 month deployments), twice to Thailand (3 month deployments), and once back to the USA for a school for 2 months.

We've been to a lot of the same places! I know all of the camps you mentioned. I know what you mean about the travel. I spent 1/3 of my time at Yokota on the road. I was fortunate to find a lot of places to drop in and train BJJ while on the road (including making it over to Korea). Where in Thailand did you go? The only place I know our forces regularly go for exercises is U-Taphao but I know our presence used to be a lot larger there. I lived in Bangkok for 6 months and got around the country a bit (Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, Sam Roi Yot, Ayuthaya... I'm probably forgetting something).

K50Marine

White Belt
Reaction score
We've been to a lot of the same places! I know all of the camps you mentioned. I know what you mean about the travel. I spent 1/3 of my time at Yokota on the road. I was fortunate to find a lot of places to drop in and train BJJ while on the road (including making it over to Korea). Where in Thailand did you go? The only place I know our forces regularly go for exercises is U-Taphao but I know our presence used to be a lot larger there. I lived in Bangkok for 6 months and got around the country a bit (Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, Sam Roi Yot, Ayuthaya... I'm probably forgetting something).

I participated in Exercise Cobra Gold 96 in the extreme southern part of Thailand near the border of Malaysia (Hat Yai and Songklah) and my second deployment was Exercise Cobra Gold 97 around Sattahip and Pattaya. I was Assistant NCO-in charge of the security element working with the Royal Thai Marines military police to secure the CJTF HQ on both deployments. In mainland Japan I've been to Camp Fuji, Marine Corps Air Station-Iwakuni, Camp Zama, Yokota, and of course all over Tokyo (Roppongi!). In Korea, we always worked alongside the US Army, the ROK Army (ROKA),and the ROK Marines (ROKMC) during various exercises. I've been all over the Korean peninsula (Seoul, Pohang, Pusan, Taegu, Camp Henry, Camp Walker, Yongsan Garrison, Camp Hialeah, Camp Humphreys, and Osan AB where Chuck Norris was stationed). The ROKMC are really into their Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido and the Thais love their Muay Thai. Muay Thai is EVERYWHERE in Thailand. My years stationed in Asia were some of the best of my life.

Last edited: