Greetings from Norway

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
By following that logic, we would also have dragons in Norway, but I haven't seen any yet. (Ref. Harry Potter) :hilarious:
I don't think the people who wrote Beowulf were lying, so I'm pretty sure there are brah

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the people who wrote Beowulf were lying, so I'm pretty sure there are brah

Beowolf is a poem which blends fictional, legendary and historic elements, the fictional bit is the 'monster' and the dragon. JRR Tolkien ( not just a writer but noted academic who had translated the poem) believed it was written in the 8th century CE. There's also evidence to suggest it was written by a single author, debates continue though over the origin and dating of the poem. One thing is for sure though, there were no dragons, they are entirely fictional ( and before you say it lol Komodo dragons are lizards)

Studying Beowulf | Electronic Beowulf - Fourth Edition - ed. Kevin Kiernan

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
Beowolf is a poem which blends fictional, legendary and historic elements, the fictional bit is the 'monster' and the dragon. JRR Tolkien ( not just a writer but noted academic who had translated the poem) believed it was written in the 8th century CE. There's also evidence to suggest it was written by a single author, debates continue though over the origin and dating of the poem. One thing is for sure though, there were no dragons, they are entirely fictional ( and before you say it lol Komodo dragons are lizards)

Studying Beowulf | Electronic Beowulf - Fourth Edition - ed. Kevin Kiernan
Alright so Komodo dragons are lizards, what about bearded dragons?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so Komodo dragons are lizards, what about bearded dragons?

Lizards sadly. I do like the idea of bearded dragons though like Sir Terry Pratchett's bearded dwarves...both sexes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about dinos tho? Some of those look suspiciously dragon-like

it depends on what you think dragons look like though doesn't it? As they are imaginary, people could have very different ideas of what a dragon looks like.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are it's nose holes so big? What is it snorting?

Originally one of Lady Sybil Ramkin’s Swamp dragons, Errol was given his nickname by Nobby Nobbs. His actual full name of Goodboy Bindle Featherstone of Quirm proving something of a mouthful. Errol is a freak by swamp dragon standard. His wings are about the same size as his abnormally large eyebrows, he has a face like an anteater, a pear-shaped body and gigantic nostrils. The poor little fella can’t flame or fly, and spends most of his time relaxing.

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally one of Lady Sybil Ramkin’s Swamp dragons, Errol was given his nickname by Nobby Nobbs. His actual full name of Goodboy Bindle Featherstone of Quirm proving something of a mouthful. Errol is a freak by swamp dragon standard. His wings are about the same size as his abnormally large eyebrows, he has a face like an anteater, a pear-shaped body and gigantic nostrils. The poor little fella can’t flame or fly, and spends most of his time relaxing.
I'll stick with Smaug and Glaurung

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about dinos tho? Some of those look suspiciously dragon-like
well no. Dinosaurs were dinosaurs, and birds are now recognized as the one line of dinosaurs that did not go extinct. Birds are not the descendants of dinosaurs. Birds ARE dinosaurs.

at any rate, it is reasonable to suppose that ancient people discovered dinosaur bones and attributed them to the dragons and other mythical creatures of legends, or that the legends around dragons grew up/were inspired by, the discovery of those bones.

but no, dinosaurs were not dragons.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big flying lizards
According to legends and literature, not all dragons could fly. It depends on the author and the culture.

and while they tend to be depicted as very reptilian (although that would be a stretch in describing Chinese dragons), the portrayal usually indicates they are something else entirely than a lizard or a reptile of any kind.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't actually. My favorite writers are J.R.R Tolkien and Michael Moorcock
good choices, although I haven't read any Moorcock in a very long time. Elric of Melnibone, and the Eternal Champion were brilliant.

and not all the dragons in Tolkien's work could fly.

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
According to legends and literature, not all dragons could fly. It depends on the author and the culture.

and while they tend to be depicted as very reptilian (although that would be a stretch in describing Chinese dragons), the portrayal usually indicates they are something else entirely than a lizard or a reptile of any kind.
I think Chinese dragons look the most reptilian out of them all. They have a snake body and lizard head

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Chinese dragons look the most reptilian out of them all. They have a snake body and lizard head
They don't, actually. I believe the horns are from a deer, the head might actually be a lion, and I think some other animal parts make up the rest of the animal. They are often depicted in the sky, wrapped up in clouds, so one never gets a clear look at one.

I think their physical make-up is more of a chimera, a conglomerate of other animals.

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
They don't, actually. I believe the horns are from a deer, the head might actually be a lion, and I think some other animal parts make up the rest of the animal. They are often depicted in the sky, wrapped up in clouds, so one never gets a clear look at one.

I think their physical make-up is more of a chimera, a conglomerate of other animals.
Oh yeah I see that now