Greetings and Sil lim tao question

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been stalking this forum for a good month or two and its been awesome, collectively everyone here so much knowleadge and different opinions as well. So i finally decided to join, but unfortunately i cannot contribute much (hence my hesitations to sign up) as I've only started about two months of WC.

I've been praticing sil lim tao on a daily basis, and notice sometimes i will get lower back pains (not major pain, but builds up). Im relatively healthy, just wondering is this one of those things that goes away like the calf/knee pain when you get better, or am i doing it wrong!?!?!?!
Any comment would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been stalking this forum for a good month or two and its been awesome, collectively everyone here so much knowleadge and different opinions as well. So i finally decided to join, but unfortunately i cannot contribute much (hence my hesitations to sign up) as I've only started about two months of WC.

I've been praticing sil lim tao on a daily basis, and notice sometimes i will get lower back pains (not major pain, but builds up). Im relatively healthy, just wondering is this one of those things that goes away like the calf/knee pain when you get better, or am i doing it wrong!?!?!?!

Hi and welcome!!!! Without seeing you do it one question. Have you been using a video of SLT or did you learn it in a school where an instructor could critique your form. I ask this for only one reason. I have seen new practitioners over exaggerate the pelvic tilt. This, with the now exaggerated tilt of the upper body can create what some refer to as the "dreaded Wing Chun hunch." This could cause in some people excess strain in the lower back.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!!!! Without seeing you do it one question. Have you been using a video of SLT or did you learn it in a school where an instructor could critique your form. I ask this for only one reason. I have seen new practitioners over exaggerate the pelvic tilt. This, with the now exaggerated tilt of the upper body can create what some refer to as the "dreaded Wing Chun hunch." This could cause in some people excess strain in the lower back.
^^^^^^ This is my first opinion as well having no other information.

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks juany and danny, I've been training in a school for 2 months. But i think you guys are right!! When doing the form i do indeed title my pelvis forward to "aling" my spine (i read/saw somewhere on the internet), which now ill try and lossen up on.
In "theroy" is my spine suppose to be perpendicular (eg as like the 12 o'clock hand) to the floor or is it ok to have a slight lean (1 o'clock)?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks juany and danny, I've been training in a school for 2 months. But i think you guys are right!! When doing the form i do indeed title my pelvis forward to "aling" my spine (i read/saw somewhere on the internet), which now ill try and lossen up on.
In "theroy" is my spine suppose to be perpendicular (eg as like the 12 o'clock hand) to the floor or is it ok to have a slight lean (1 o'clock)?

In my lineage you are simply aligning your spine with the ground. Welcome to the club :).

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The stance feels so unnatural at first but keep at it. The day will come when you just sink into it and it will feel very natural.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Welcome SOD-WC!
You've received some responses already; but I'd just like to point out that your Sifu/Instructor will be or should be your primary source of feedback to any questions you have. So, before you go making adjustments based on input received here, keep in mind your particular 'flavor' of WC may want or require your hips and shoulders to be in a specific angle/configuration. And, as Yak said...in the early months of learning WC...your body will go thru a period of adjustment.
Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Joint pain, talk to your teacher.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It will take your body a little while to adjust to the stance. That's normal.

What I notice with many beginner students is they take the stance to be some sort of a challenge, and they contort and tense themselves into uncomfortable and posturally poor positions because they think, well, "this is Kung Fu and we're supposed to train hard, so this should feel like I'm working hard." Like, yes, you should add enough of a a pelvic tilt for good postural alignment, but no, you shouldn't EXAGGERATE a pelvic tilt by pushing the pelvic tilt to the limits of your flexibility.

The stance should be comfortable and as much as possible of the weight taken by good postural alignment and tendons and ligaments rather than flexed muscles.

My only suggestion is stretching, stretching, and still stretching.

Stretching is only part of the solution. You should look at joint mobility exercises as well, especially for the spine and hips. maxwellsc.com has some good, inexpensive video programs. You might benefit from some moderate strength training as well.
Talk to your teacher about joint pain? Yes. But if pain persists and your teacher is not a physical therapist or similar, consider consulting such a professional. Not all Kung Fu teachers are qualified to provide health advice.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will take your body a little while to adjust to the stance. That's normal.

What I notice with many beginner students is they take the stance to be some sort of a challenge, and they contort and tense themselves into uncomfortable and posturally poor positions because they think, well, "this is Kung Fu and we're supposed to train hard, so this should feel like I'm working hard." Like, yes, you should add enough of a a pelvic tilt for good postural alignment, but no, you shouldn't EXAGGERATE a pelvic tilt by pushing the pelvic tilt to the limits of your flexibility.

The stance should be comfortable and as much as possible of the weight taken by good postural alignment and tendons and ligaments rather than flexed muscles.

Stretching is only part of the solution. You should look at joint mobility exercises as well, especially for the spine and hips. maxwellsc.com has some good, inexpensive video programs. You might benefit from some moderate strength training as well.
Talk to your teacher about joint pain? Yes. But if pain persists and your teacher is not a physical therapist or similar, consider consulting such a professional. Not all Kung Fu teachers are qualified to provide health advice.

Yep I tell people "pelvic tilt, not thrust. We are doing Wing Chun not the... "

;)

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, ill continue to train and ask my sifu for guidance. You guys have all given me advice that i could not find anywhere on the net, its given me something to be aware of during training.
Hopefully in ten yrs time ill be able to do the form and it'll feel natural and ill be back to give advice to beginners like everyone else here :)

Pat M

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Hey SOD-WC,

Welcome, it looks like you have good responses and yes number one should be to talk to your instructor / Sifu.
Where are you in Australia?

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey SOD-WC,

Welcome, it looks like you have good responses and yes number one should be to talk to your instructor / Sifu.
Where are you in Australia?

Hi pat, im in Australia Sydney. Noticed you are from Brisbane?

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who is your sifu in Aussie land?
Hi parky, prefer not to say but its around the Sydney cbd. There is only a few schools around here ;), you can work it out.
Which country are you from?

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I saw a couple schools there in Sydney I would gladly join and one not so much. Not sure which one you chose. Doesn't matter, was just curious. I live in the Midwestern United States. Welcome to the world of Wing Chun, two months in. May your stay be a long and pleasant one! What made you choose Wing Chun?

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I saw a couple schools there in Sydney I would gladly join and one not so much. Not sure which one you chose. Doesn't matter, was just curious. I live in the Midwestern United States. Welcome to the world of Wing Chun, two months in. May your stay be a long and pleasant one! What made you choose Wing Chun?
Intresting have you lived in Australia before, you seem to know a bit? Hopefully the one you didnt want to join is the one im not at lol.
I've always been interested in Wing chun, ive never been a tough person, and didnt feel the other arts suit me, WC is a soft art and seems to suit me better, I've known about it way back,but im in my early 30s, and finally decided to do something about it, so a bit of a late start. But with enough training hopefully ill make up for lost time, dont plan to quit WC, I've waited this long.

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Intresting have you lived in Australia before, you seem to know a bit? Hopefully the one you didnt want to join is the one im not at lol.
I've always been interested in Wing chun, ive never been a tough person, and didnt feel the other arts suit me, WC is a soft art and seems to suit me better, I've known about it way back,but im in my early 30s, and finally decided to do something about it, so a bit of a late start. But with enough training hopefully ill make up for lost time, dont plan to quit WC, I've waited this long.
No, I've never even been to Australia. I started WC in 1994. I trace my WC lineage thru Chu Shong Tin and I know of some good teachers in that lineage In Aussie-land. I've experienced crappy instruction and phenomenal instruction in WC. There's the copycat version where you copy sifu with no understanding of why you do what you do. I did that for 5 years. Then there's the more bio mechanical approach. I dabbled with that for years. That can be very effective. And there's the soft internal approach that most people poo poo, unless they're on the receiving end of it. These are the methods I've been exposed too. Everyone chases their own flavor. I would give one piece of advice, stay away from copycat crap. If you can't ask sifu questions and get real answers, or if his answers are, 'that's how I was taught, I don't know what it's for', I would do yourself a favor and move on. You can waste years of training, getting nowhere. Of course opinions vary...just my 2 cents.