Greatings

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all, just here to introduce myself. I am a LEO with almost 20 years on and former Soldier (19D). I have studied different Arts in the past, Fencing (if you count that) Aikido and Okinawan Karate, plus the generic 25 years of "street" experience brought by my careers.

Lately I have been taking Wing Chun and Kali. That might seem like an odd combination but they dove tail quite well together and the school has permission to do so actually from Grand Master Cheung. Just putting the last part out there as some people I know have questioned if it makes sense. It does. Cheers :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Hope you enjoy the site :)
Out of curiosity, does your fencing and kali knowledge conflict at all? I've got a decent amount of knowledge with fencing (~5 years competing) and rudimentary with kali (never practiced, but some friends do), but from what I saw the footwork would be a bit tough to adapt from one to the other.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Hope you enjoy the site :)
Out of curiosity, does your fencing and kali knowledge conflict at all? I've got a decent amount of knowledge with fencing (~5 years competing) and rudimentary with kali (never practiced, but some friends do), but from what I saw the footwork would be a bit tough to adapt from one to the other.

The foot work isn't really the issue for me, because the Guro out of the gate has his students do a lot of Sinawali (Heaven 6, heaven and earth) etc. That square on stance pretty much makes the Fencing footwork impossible. My biggest problem came when we were doing Sombrada. In the beginning when I kept getting fed an angle 5 I kept wanting to do a simple riposte in response. So it was more the blade work vs foot work muscle memory I had to break. Kinda the same in Wing Chun vs Aikido and Okinawan Karate. When I did a Pak I had a hard time breaking the muscle memory to not grab the wrist and go into a take down, a Tan I wanted to to a more linear block.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. There's quite a few former mil folks around here from the various services and from other countries.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello all, just here to introduce myself. I am a LEO with almost 20 years on and former Soldier (19D). I have studied different Arts in the past, Fencing (if you count that) Aikido and Okinawan Karate, plus the generic 25 years of "street" experience brought by my careers.

Lately I have been taking Wing Chun and Kali. That might seem like an odd combination but they dove tail quite well together and the school has permission to do so actually from Grand Master Cheung. Just putting the last part out there as some people I know have questioned if it makes sense. It does. Cheers :)

Welcome to MT! Former Marine MP and Isshin Ryu karateka.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk!

I think combining the practice of WC and FMA is relatively common. I know a few people who practice both.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk!

I think combining the practice of WC and FMA is relatively common. I know a few people who practice both.

Oh I know it's not unheard of, I have seen schools where "630 Tuesdays wing Chun, 630 Wed Kali", this is just the only place I have found where in the one class you start at 7 learning Wing Chun and then end at 9 having done Kali.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's actually taught as a combined art/curriculum? That is more unusual.
Yes. The first half of the class is Wing Chun, the second half Kali. While the class is broken down like that there is of course some cross pollination.

We are under Grand Master Cheung and his Global Traditional Wing Chun. The deal my Sifu struck to get the program going was we test at our school up to level 6 (dark brown sash) in Wing Chun. After that we still progress in Kali naturally but to progress to level 7 (black) and beyond in Wing Chun we have to go to our "Mother School", The Traditional Wing Chun Academy, and test before Sifu Keith Mazza. As a matter of fact 2 of my fellow students are doing just that shortly.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. The first half of the class is Wing Chun, the second half Kali. While the class is broken down like that there is of course some cross pollination.

We are under Grand Master Cheung and his Global Traditional Wing Chun. The deal my Sifu struck to get the program going was we test at our school up to level 6 (dark brown sash) in Wing Chun. After that we still progress in Kali naturally but to progress to level 7 (black) and beyond in Wing Chun we have to go to our "Mother School", The Traditional Wing Chun Academy, and test before Sifu Keith Mazza. As a matter of fact 2 of my fellow students are doing just that shortly.

And a correction. Sifu Keith actually gauges where the student is training wise and then determines what they test for. So you would be at our satellite school for however long, decide that t you want the Wing Chun rank along with Kali. He then says "okay you are skilled enough to text for X sash". Confirmed tonight after class.

And PS thanks for all the welcomes.

Latest Discussions