Graureiher HEMA group at a Dog Brothers Gathering.

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts - General' started by Tony Dismukes, Aug 19, 2015.

1. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Agree with this. Miscommunications happen all the time online, because so much of our actual communication takes place through non-verbal indicators like tone of voice, facial expression, even timing of the response. These all can be lost online, especially across very different time zones. Many readers found something in Tez's reply she didn't intend. It's been beat to death, I think...

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

I can't speak for the group in the video, but at its more extreme levels, heavy combat can be very intense. I often quote this post, and I'll do it again here with regards to Battle of the Nations-style combat, which those folks may or may not be. It's a great read nonetheless:

There is no HEMA group that I'm aware of that would tolerate that level of injury. The worst I've seen is a broken finger in weapon sparring. The grappling is of course, more dangerous and in tournament has a fairly high injury rate. Any Ringen (medieval stand-up grappling) tournament I've seen or participated in has seen people sent to the hospital, though no one required surgery. When we do Ringen in my club it is very tightly controlled. No free sparring for that yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

Wow, that's a good question.

Well, the first thing to do is ask the folks themselves. They should be able to tell you what they are. Just because it looks like HEMA doesn't mean it is. Medieval/Renaissance/Enlightenment weaponry does not mean it's "legit" HEMA. It might be legit "something else", and that's cool.

SCA =/= HEMA
    HMB/BOTN =/= HEMA
    Reenactment =/= HEMA
    LARPing =/= HEMA
    Game of Thrones =/= HEMA
    Classical Fencing may or may not be HEMA, depending. It has a living lineage, but sometimes applies that to interpreting rapier and smallsword, for example.

HEMA must be based on historical manuals. They should be able to tell you which manuals they use and why. No manuals = no HEMA. Other than that, it's fairly open. I have my opinions on what good HEMA is: solid interpretations, pressure testing, lots of sparring and as many tournaments as they can manage. Should have some solid conditioning as well. Others may disagree. Some HEMA types don't spar at all. Just because it's HEMA doesn't mean it's "good". However, no one group has the collar on "good HEMA". You will find excellent practitioners all over the world.

Being HEMA doesn't mean that the group is necessarily better at fighting than others that may appear superficially similar. Some HEMA-looking weapons will actually have living lineages (Hungarian sabre for example), though they are rare.

HEMA is a very broad term, encompassing a wide variety of different martial arts. For many, HEMA = longsword, but that's not the case. Some HEMAists have never even picked up a longsword. Some HEMA folks only do unarmed. HEMA is more like the term "kung fu". Could mean literally anything.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

HEMA =/= HEMI
    HEMA =/= AHEM

But in all seriousness, I appreciate the post. Very interesting.

5. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    I took a Selfie:

[​IMG]

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

The royal armory would have flogged that horse quicker and more accurately.

• Funny Funny x 3