Grass root to Republican establishment...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sums up the election nicely...from the point of view of the republican grass roots...

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/11/dear-republican-establishment-a-letter-from-the-conservative-grassroots/

They are committed to waking up the GOP, the best hope of returning of the country to the right path, before it is too late. Let’s hope they listen this time.

Dear Republican Establishment:
We hear you. We hear you blaming us for Mitt Romney’s recent defeat in the Presidential election. Now hear us.
Over a year ago, we told you that Mitt Romney would not be able to energize the base. You responded that anger at Obama would provide all the energy we needed. You were told that affection FOR a candidate is always a better model than depending on anger AT another candidate. You disagreed. And now, the votes are in. You were wrong.
We also told you the 2012 election would be centered on turning out the GOP base. You insisted the election would hinge on winning independents. We now know that Romney did, in fact, win independents. Congratulations. He won those who showed up. Unfortunately, 10 million 2008 voters failed to get up off the sofa to vote for Romney. Nice job picking candidates!
The grassroots predicted Obama’s victory model: to pivot hard left and drive up turnout of his base, to make independents terrified to vote for Romney, and to dispirit the GOP base. We noted that Romney was the candidate who best fit the Obama victory model, the only candidate who could deliver the one thing a billion Democrat dollars couldn’t buy – a dispirited GOP base. You rejected that idea outright. Well, we have the results. Obama successfully delivered his own base to the polls….while doing such a good job of destroying Romney that 10 million 2008 voters failed to show up at the polls….while a dispirited GOP base complained about the lackluster Romney campaign which failed to attack, failed to defend, etc.
So now you blame the grassroots for all that? We would remind you that State & National GOP leadership leaned heavily on the grassroots this election cycle NOT to repeat the tactics which delivered victory in the 2010 mid-term elections. We played along, and quietly did the hard, grassroots work of walking streets and pounding phones for Romney. And look what happened. We did what you asked, the way you wanted it. Rest assured, the grassroots will not repeat this mistake again. Until you figure out how to listen to us as equal partners, we will not play with you. We will attack as we see fit.
We also warned you that the nomination of Mitt Romney would totally remove Obamacare from the election. It most certainly did. The single greatest policy vulnerability Obama had was totally neutered by virtue of Romney being the ideological godfather of the policy in question. Thanks.
Oh. Stop hanging Akin & Mourdock around our neck. We didn’t know they didn’t understand how conception works. You didn’t know that the word “macaca” was part of George Allen’s vocabulary, either. And you didn’t blame him for the loss of the House and Senate in 2006. Interestingly, you put him up again this time around. We might make mistakes, but we don’t make them twice. So stop the scapegoating, please.
A word about demography: Women aren’t the problem, although we need to (and can) do better with them. Hispanics aren’t the problem, although we need to (and can) do better with them. The biggest nut of the problem is this: our campaign inspired 10 million… 10 MILLION… voters from 2008 who decided not to vote for Obama to stay home rather than come out and vote for Mitt Romney. We lost because we did not present bold colors, big ideas that could inspire a nation to join us.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
how about this:

Dear Republican Politicians:

Stop being such a crazy bunch of idiotic extremist morons, get reconnected with the needs of the people of this great land, grow up, and start putting forth some reasonable policies and ideas.

yours truly
The People.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Republican canidate wasn't the best, but he was the best of the field. As long as Republicans believe that it wasn't the positions of the Republican party's platform that were to blame for the loss, then they will continue to lose. You aren't getting the Latino vote by refusing to take on immigration reform. You aren't going to get a majority of the women's vote if you continue to push limiting access to birth control, want to ban abortion, and run men like todd Akin. You aren't going to get the young vote by trying to limit programs that help them like student loans while at the same time looking for tax breaks for the rich and corporations. Yes, the ability of the Obama campaign to turn out the vote was a factor. There is a reason they could turn out the vote, while Republicans had a harder time doing so. Issues still matter. It isn't all about the personalities of the men running.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the GOP should respond to the loss by turning hard to the right. Become even more isolated from reality. That should finish the party completely, and that's a good thing at this point.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill, that phrase "isolated from reality" tends to describe the whole Republican campaign effort this year, in my opinion. It is why the huge C-Pac spending had so little effect on the campaigns.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing more about how the GOP got the independent voters. I don't know that I've seen any evidence of that.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BILLY HOYLE in White Men Can't Jump:
A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second.
A republican wants to look NICE first, win second...
Look at all the outright lies told by democrats about republicans, i.e.: Reid saying Romney hadn't paid taxes in 10 years, etc
Was the republican response to slime Reid, nope. Was the response to accurately quote Reid:
I don't know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican, OK. Do I need to say more?"
or Reid had remarked that Obama could win the Presidency because the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama—to whom he referred as being "light-skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one"? Nope. Where was the aggressive response? No, seriously, where was the aggressive response to any of the lies and slander directed against Romney and Ryan? Answer: There was no aggressive response from the campaign on ANY of the various lies told about them.
No fight is ever won by blocking...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If white are all pro-live and other races are all pro-choice, white will always be the majority. It's correct policy for the republican in the long run. There is no need to change it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We need to require GOP candidates to pass a couple of freshman-level science courses before they get on the ballot.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really hesitated to say this but I believe this is for the better of their party. These are not my words but those of several political analysts. For the record I am 100% Eurapean ancestry so please don't take these words as racist because they are not and I am not.

Since the election I've heard over and over that the GOP's base is middle aged to old white men. They're missing the growing segments of America and have no chance of getting them unless can figure a away to embrace them. That requires major change. Without change they're heading for extinction.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
James, I think what you say is true, that this could be good for the Republicans and the country. However, it is going to take some honest self assessment. Throwing stones at the Democrats isn't going to achieve this. The electorate is changing. Younger people vote in greater numbers, women are starting to get a louder voice and thier voting reflects this, minorities are also realizing the power of thier vote AND they will not be in the minority for much longer. Republicans can no longer cater to the extreme right of thier base and be continuously successful. They must start taking a more moderate line on social issues. On financial issues they must have real plans and stick to them when elected. That far right base will follow them to the middle, they have no choice. We truly are a two party system and for that far right base to do anything else would mean voting democrat. None of this will happen though if the party keeps blaming minorities taking gifts and other such nonsense for thier poor showing this election cycle.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We need to require GOP candidates to pass a couple of freshman-level science courses before they get on the ballot.

I'd agree to that if we can make Democratic candidates take Economy and Business courses.

And maybe some Ethics classes for both sides.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, throw in some science classes for the dems as well...they're wrong on people causing global warming after all. Some journalism classes for the media would be nice.

A good class on the history of the democrat party would be good.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the GOP should respond to the loss by turning hard to the right. Become even more isolated from reality. That should finish the party completely, and that's a good thing at this point.

This is actually what they do. When they lose, they get more conservative and pull the next troll out from under the bridge.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, throw in some science classes for the dems as well...they're wrong on people causing global warming after all. Some journalism classes for the media would be nice.

A good class on the history of the democrat party would be good.

anyone wanna guess what my response to bill is this time? Oh yeah: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that if they're going to learn anything, they should all start with a lesson in manners.

Journalism lessons for the media, and also Fox News. (See what I did there? I made a JOKE!)

But seriously. The OP said,
You insisted the election would hinge on winning independents. We now know that Romney did, in fact, win independents. Congratulations. He won those who showed up. Unfortunately, 10 million 2008 voters failed to get up off the sofa to vote for Romney.
While we don't know what the actual voter turnout was yet (meaning that this 10 million 2008 voters figure is fiction), voter turnout for 2012 is, according to the media (and also Fox News), projected higher than 2000 and 2004 and lower than in 2008 (where Obama ran with a lot of momentum and blew away a silly GOP ticket in McCain/Palin). This wasn't a matter of Romney failing to get out the vote. The votes just weren't there for him. He alienated the minority and women voters.

There were projections from the right wing, propaganda outlets alleging that Romney had a clear lead among independent voters leading up to the election, but that turned out to be little more than wishful thinking.

The OP also alleges that Obama's campaign represented a "hard left" in his rhetoric. Can I have some evidence of that? Another part of Romney's issue in his campaign is that he actually AGREED with much of what Obama was saying. In the foreign affairs debate, Romney spent most of the time ceding point after point to Obama, while failing to articulate any clear differences between his plan and the plans of the current administration.

Overall, am I the only one who reads that open letter in the OP and wonders what all of the whining and handwringing is about? It seems like a rather longwinded letter that could be basically boiled down to four words: It's Not My Fault!

My open letter to the Republican party would go along these lines:

Dear GOP,

Please do whatever it takes to remember that Conservatism is not a religious position, and take some time to return to the conservative principles that governed the party 30 years ago.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
George Will has an excellent point, considering the House of Representatives faces election every two years and is much more accountable on a local level to the voters...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...ndates-almost-every-house-republican-won-much

For approaching two weeks, liberal media members have been contorting themselves to make the case the President's victory on Election Day represented a mandate for his agenda.
When CNN contributor Donna Brazile tried this on ABC's This Week Sunday, George Will marvelously responded, "Almost every member of John Boehner's caucus won his or her seat by a much bigger margin than Mr. Obama won his renewed term" (video follows with transcript and commentary):

GEORGE WILL: The president denounced the House Republicans across this country as obstructionists. The country said, "We hear you," and they sent them back to continue being a break on the president. And almost every member of John Boehner's caucus won his or her seat by a much bigger margin than Mr. Obama won his renewed term.
Indeed.
Beyond this, Obama received fewer popular and electoral votes in 2012 than he did in 2008.
What kind of a mandate is that?
But Will wasn't finished:
WILL: Look, the arithmetic is simple. If you cap at $25,000 the available deductions, you raise $1.2 trillion. That's a lot of money. If you cap it at $50,000, you raise about as much money as you would raise by letting the Bush tax rates expire. I don't think that's a problem.

You showed the clip a moment ago of Patty Murray saying, as a negotiating ploy, go off the cliff. Let me give you another theory. For 40 years, the Democratic Party's activist base has had two goals: substantial tax increases and substantial defense cuts. Going off the cliff implements the Democratic Party's agenda.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...every-house-republican-won-much#ixzz2Cbauup1g

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...every-house-republican-won-much#ixzz2CbaZ4Q4i