Grappling only vs. knife...

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another argument for open-hand strikes. Palm heel, chop, and slap the piss out of 'em while screaming,"I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT! STAY AWAY FROM ME! HELP!!! FIRE!!!"

*snort*

I just imagined a cartoon with your avatar doing that anime-style. *slap* *slap* *thud*

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
*snort*

I just imagined a cartoon with your avatar doing that anime-style. *slap* *slap* *thud*

Hey, I like open-hands. I practice "slapping" the bag, except right before contact, snap the wrist & hit with the palm heel. It works rather well, & looks better than going all Muay Thai or Golden Gloves on someone.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I like open-hands. I practice "slapping" the bag, except right before contact, snap the wrist & hit with the palm heel. It works rather well, & looks better than going all Muay Thai or Golden Gloves on someone.

I like anything to the head to be open-handed, as well. I learned that from football. I know we weren't supposed to to smack they guy's helmet, but dang it was effective. But of course, punching a helmet was suicidal.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I started doing Silat (ironically, I started reading Marc MacYoung around the same time), I definitely became more weapon conscious. My new MO: I don't "go to the ground" unless I'm taken there, & I'm back up as soon as possible. Just me...

That & I started working my sprawl and anti-takedown tactics MUCH MORE.

there is a reason the older traditional arts tend not to go to the ground if they can avoid it, and then get up fast. weapons then as now were common and well going to the ground with a blade is a bad idea in my estimation. and if he is good with a knife .. like the old song said "when he come up off the ground, Leroy looked like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone!"
on your feet you can use distance and things that are not available to you on the ground.

Latest Discussions