Grapplers: Are you still training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is going out to all wrestlers and grapplers of all styles ...since grappling has the most physical contact of any MA.

Our governor here in AZ just shut down all gyms, studios, health clubs, etc. again for at least another month and the police have started giving out citations, up to $2,500 per infraction to show that they are serious. I'm thinking this latest closure will be probably extended for "the duration" ... i.e. until infection rates drop to near zero, or until there is a vaccine or other really effective treatment for Covid-19. The way it looks now, that would probably be next spring or summer at the earliest.

So ...are any grappling gyms open anywhere? Is anybody still training with a partner at all? Or is everybody just working solo, conditioning , etc.?

And if the gyms are shut for a year, will they reopen at all?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My gym reopened in June, but I’m not back to grappling yet.

I decided to at least wait until I have a chance to make my annual trips to visit my parents, both of whom would be extremely vulnerable to infection. After that I’m going to take a look at the numbers in order to make a decision on training. The numbers aren’t too bad in Kentucky so far, but the nation-wide trends are not looking good and will likely get worse as re-opening continues and even worse when schools reopen in the fall.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are doing some standing guard passes and knee on belly to reverse mount and leg lock drills. A lot of single person ground movement drills, ground dummy drills, shoot walking, bridging, shrimping, etc. but no actually wrestling or BJJ.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is going out to all wrestlers and grapplers of all styles ...since grappling has the most physical contact of any MA.

Our governor here in AZ just shut down all gyms, studios, health clubs, etc. again for at least another month and the police have started giving out citations, up to $2,500 per infraction to show that they are serious. I'm thinking this latest closure will be probably extended for "the duration" ... i.e. until infection rates drop to near zero, or until there is a vaccine or other really effective treatment for Covid-19. The way it looks now, that would probably be next spring or summer at the earliest.

So ...are any grappling gyms open anywhere? Is anybody still training with a partner at all? Or is everybody just working solo, conditioning , etc.?

And if the gyms are shut for a year, will they reopen at all?
Ohio has special rules (exemptions) for martial arts. We also have a total infection of 1/2 of 1% per capita (0.0056).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My gym reopened in June, but I’m not back to grappling yet.

I decided to at least wait until I have a chance to make my annual trips to visit my parents, both of whom would be extremely vulnerable to infection. After that I’m going to take a look at the numbers in order to make a decision on training. The numbers aren’t too bad in Kentucky so far, but the nation-wide trends are not looking good and will likely get worse as re-opening continues and even worse when schools reopen in the fall.
yeah Georgia is doing bad, but the Georgia Health Department numbers can't be trusted. They got caught 2 or 3 times trying to manipulate the data so that it looks less damaging. I saw a chart to day that makes it look like the new cases are going down, but their are news article stating that Georgia may roll back some of its plans for reopening. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but with Georgia people should look at the Case count from multiple sources to see which data is wildly different through comparison. I'm not sure how things are now but 2 weeks ago when I went to the groceries a lot of people weren't wearing masks.

All of this is still surreal at times. More so the general responses from people than the virus. Things like COVID parties are beyond me. But I shouldn't be too surprised I guess with people eating Tide Pods and extreme amounts of cinnamon.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah Georgia is doing bad, but the Georgia Health Department numbers can't be trusted. They got caught 2 or 3 times trying to manipulate the data so that it looks less damaging. I saw a chart to day that makes it look like the new cases are going down, but their are news article stating that Georgia may roll back some of its plans for reopening. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but with Georgia people should look at the Case count from multiple sources to see which data is wildly different through comparison. I'm not sure how things are now but 2 weeks ago when I went to the groceries a lot of people weren't wearing masks.

All of this is still surreal at times. More so the general responses from people than the virus. Things like COVID parties are beyond me. But I shouldn't be too surprised I guess with people eating Tide Pods and extreme amounts of cinnamon.
One thing to remember is that when you "flatten the curve," the area under the curve remains the same.

Think about it.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
STOP It! You are talking with sense. STOP THAT!! And as the curve is flattened the length of curve is increased

^^^ I thought that was the whole point. Try to achieve a slow, controlled burn rather than a raging inferno of infection so that the hospitals and associated healthcare personnel and resources are never overwhelmed. It's that or try to lie low and wait it out until a vaccine or at least a highly effective anti-viral treatment becomes available.

Either way, the current state will drag on until 1. we have a vaccine and/or highly effective antiviral treatments, or 2. most people (perhaps 80%) have gotten the virus and the population at large develops a "herd immunity".

The trouble with "Covid Parties" approach, encouraging infection and pushing option 2, is that endangers all those at high risk: the elderly, the immunocompromised, those with diabetes, asthma, or other underlying health issues. These people need to be protected and supported while they "shelter in place" for the duration (i.e. until we have a vaccine and/or effective treatment).

...That means continuing to work at slowing contagion and "flattening the curve". Or... wearing masks in public, washing hands a lot, and limiting close contact with others as much as possible. And that affects us, as martial artists a lot.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
^^^ I thought that was the whole point. Try to achieve a slow, controlled burn rather than a raging inferno of infection so that the hospitals and associated healthcare personnel and resources are never overwhelmed.
And we've done that. The point, as you note, is NOT to prevent infections. The point is to drag out the infections over time so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. The same number of people are going to get infected. ...just stretched out over time instead of clustered all together. All these PSA's about "Say Home. Stay SAFE!" are horsedip. The PSA should actually be, "Stay Home. Get Infected Later."

The thing is, stats seem to support the suggestion that infections peeked (the top of the curve) in mid-to-late April. Honestly, at this point, the only reason to "self quarantine" if you're healthy is in the hopes that you can delay your exposure until a vaccine is developed or until everyone else has gotten sick and developed herd immunity. So "Stay Home" is all about, "My plan is for EVERYONE ELSE to get sick before me." Which is fine except that it seems like everyone else is being encouraged to make the same plan. It's like the entire world is going "I don't wanna try it first, you try it first... No you. No you. No you."

"Flattening the curve" still means you get sick. But there's been a concentrated global misunderstanding where people seem to think that if they just follow the healthy self quarantining and "social distancing," then they're going to not get sick. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^ I thought that was the whole point. Try to achieve a slow, controlled burn rather than a raging inferno of infection so that the hospitals and associated healthcare personnel and resources are never overwhelmed. It's that or try to lie low and wait it out until a vaccine or at least a highly effective anti-viral treatment becomes available.

Either way, the current state will drag on until 1. we have a vaccine and/or highly effective antiviral treatments, or 2. most people (perhaps 80%) have gotten the virus and the population at large develops a "herd immunity".

The trouble with "Covid Parties" approach, encouraging infection and pushing option 2, is that endangers all those at high risk: the elderly, the immunocompromised, those with diabetes, asthma, or other underlying health issues. These people need to be protected and supported while they "shelter in place" for the duration (i.e. until we have a vaccine and/or effective treatment).

...That means continuing to work at slowing contagion and "flattening the curve". Or... wearing masks in public, washing hands a lot, and limiting close contact with others as much as possible. And that affects us, as martial artists a lot.

You know, if in past years more money had been available to complete the development of vaccines and antiviral therapies for related coronaviruses like Sars and Mers, etc. we would be in a much better position fighting Covid-19 today. I hope the world governments take note. Significant money spent on prevention and preparation is nothing compared to the cost of enduring this pandemic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And we've done that. The point, as you note, is NOT to prevent infections. The point is to drag out the infections over time so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. The same number of people are going to get infected. ...just stretched out over time instead of clustered all together. All these PSA's about "Say Home. Stay SAFE!" are horsedip. The PSA should actually be, "Stay Home. Git 'Rona Later."

The thing is, stats seem to support the suggestion that infections peeked (the top of the curve) in mid-to-late April. Honestly, at this point, the only reason to "self quarantine" if you're healthy is in the hopes that you can delay your exposure until a vaccine is developed or until everyone else has gotten sick and developed herd immunity. So "Stay Home" is all about, "My plan is for EVERYONE ELSE to get sick before me." Which is fine except that it seems like everyone else is being encouraged to make the same plan. It's like the entire world is going "I don't wanna try it first, you try it first... No you. No you. No you."

"Flattening the curve" still means you get sick. But there's been a concentrated global misunderstanding where people seem to think that if they just follow the healthy self quarantining and "social distancing," then they're going to not get sick. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
im not sure ove ever agrr3d with you before, but that is a very good assessment of the worlds virus stratergy

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Flattening the curve" still means you get sick. But there's been a concentrated global misunderstanding where people seem to think that if they just follow the healthy self quarantining and "social distancing," then they're going to not get sick.
Kirk

True ...for most of us who have to get back to work eventually. But "flattening the curve" combined with limited quarantine reducing infection rates also means that it may be possible for the highly vulnerable populations mentioned above to actually avoid contagion altogether. People like my elderly father and step-mother, both retired and holed up at his home out in the woods. Catching Covid-19 would almost certainly kill them. "Flattening the curve" until better treatments or a vaccine is available could make it possible for him to survive this.

Unless idiots like my right-wing ideologue step-brother keep dropping in (with all his kids) to visit them, refusing to socially distance and wear masks ...because he believes it's all a "left-wing, fake news hoax" designed to infringe on HIS constitutional rights. Rights to what? Infect and kill MY dad? Sometimes I'd like to exercise my right to punch him in the nose! :mad:

OK, ....punching someone in the nose isn't a right. But some times it oughta be! ;)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True ...for most of us who have to get back to work eventually. But "flattening the curve" combined with limited quarantine reducing infection rates also means that it may be possible for the highly vulnerable populations mentioned above to actually avoid contagion altogether. People like my elderly father and step-mother, both retired and holed up at his home out in the woods. Catching Covid-19 would almost certainly kill them. "Flattening the curve" until better treatments or a vaccine is available could make it possible for him to survive this.
Everyone is related to someone who is vulnerable. My "Greatest Generation" grandmother. Both my parents. My Type 2 Diabetic brother. My stroke-survivor high-blood-pressure wife. etc.

Unless idiots like my right-wing ideologue step-brother keep dropping in (with all his kids) to visit them, refusing to socially distance and wear masks ...because he believes it's all a "left-wing, fake news hoax" designed to infringe on HIS constitutional rights. Rights to what? Infect and kill MY dad? Sometimes I'd like to exercise my right to punch him in the nose! :mad:
Your dad isn't a big boy who can tell them to step back, don't come in, wear a mask? Your dad is making his own choices. Just because you don't like his choices doesn't mean that you get to make them for him.

OK, ....punching someone in the nose isn't a right. But some times it oughta be! ;)
I understand the feeling.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Georgia is doing bad, but the Georgia Health Department numbers can't be trusted. They got caught 2 or 3 times trying to manipulate the data so that it looks less damaging.

In our state they are reporting that numbers are inflated. They have been reporting all positive tests as new cases even though it is multiple tests of the same person.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our state they are reporting that numbers are inflated. They have been reporting all positive tests as new cases even though it is multiple tests of the same person.
Is these numbers fro the State Health department?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Initially last spring under-testing and under-reporting the number of cases was more of a problem. Now we are catching up on testing, and creating equally unreliable statistics. I've also heard about the problems with multiple testing, duplicate reporting of test results. I'm more concerned with the hospitalization and mortality rates. My guess is that it will be years before we get a really clear picture of how this is playing out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know why they don't just worry more about getting the correct numbers vs trying to paint a picture. If they are double counting on purpose then that doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.