Grandmasters...

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by GouRonin

Exactly how many grandmasters does this art have and why is it every single guy I met teaching seems to have worked for the Olympic team in some manner or taught Korea's special forces? Does Korea even have special forces?

I am beginning to suspect that merely flying across the ocean means a 2 dan rank promotion for some of these guys...

Well, for those of that don't know, Gou is actually, "Lord Ronin" of Canada, and not only that, he controls it as well. And he didn't even have to fly across any oceans!;)

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

It seems there's been a few names thrown around naming Grandmasters. So far, I am amazed that no one has mentioned, Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee, the father of American Tae Kwon Do.

Instead of making a lengthy reply, I'm just going to say that I can't believe some of the disrespectful crap some of you terds are spouting off about a title someone has worked many many years and very hard for. I guarantee 99% of you have a goal of achieving black belt and I know your looking forward to one day being called a "Black Belt" wether you deserve it or not.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

By the way, my last reply only applies to a couple of you not everyone. I just wanted to clarify that so everybody on this thread wouldn't start jumping down my throat.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grandmaster means different things in different arts; to those in arts with only one Grandmaster, at the top, it seems odd to have multiple GMs within an art.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see a lineage tree and an explaination on how each individual came to Grandmaster status.

I expect that depending on the art, I'd have a headache. :)

I think it would break down though to a few variations:

an inovator who combined several into one art

the dedicated life long student who has mastered and gone beyond.

There will also be the guys who just ran off a cert on their PC and called themselves a gm. Personally, I like the other 2 better. :)

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I would love to see a lineage tree and an explaination on how each individual came to Grandmaster status.

The way that I understand it is that the title status has to do the amount of time you put into your training.

Once you become a black belt, there are time limitations on when you are able to make your next advancement. In some cases you must wait 10 years between advancement. So before you you can attain some titles you must be practicing a min. of twenty years.

Again, that is the way I understand it. Some styles may have adaptations to their requirements. However, given the fact that so much time and effort must be given to achieve a certain status is most definitely an achievement and is worth the respect the title offers. It is sad that so many people are self-appointed masters or grandmasters that in many cases the title has lost its stature to so many. But you can always spot a fraud if some 30 year old person is claiming to be grandmaster. I would even be skepticle if anyone under 50 was claiming to be a grandmaster.

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

so if i practice chunji for 20 years i can be called the

"GRANDMASTER OF CHUNJI!!"- i have the power!

no just kiddin :D

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RCastillo
Well, for those of that don't know, Gou is actually, "Lord Ronin" of Canada, and not only that, he controls it as well. And he didn't even have to fly across any oceans!

I'm pretty down to earth though so you don't have to call me "Lord" at all. "Gou" will do just fine.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by GouRonin

I'm pretty down to earth though so you don't have to call me "Lord" at all. "Gou" will do just fine.

Leaders of their "own" clan do not operate on a first name basis! Lest death is calling you.:samurai: