Grand Master Moo Yong Yun

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
Wow. I'm a newcomer to the boards, and I found this thread.

Grand Master Yun trained my Master Instructor Duane Most. I have worked with Master Jim from Fargo on several occasions, and he was recently at our annual tournament here in Wisconsin. Always a pleasure working with him, he is quite the individual.

I've only met Grand Master Yun once, and that was also at a summer camp. BigNick, I'm wondering if this was at the same camp? He was wearing a windsuit, and paying kids who did good backspins, hahah. We also played volleyball afterwards.

1994 summer camp?

J

Jim Tindell

It could have been... I'm really not sure. It's been awhile, haha.

Ridz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I was one of the last two students Grand Master Yun trained to Black Belt before he retired. He came to willmar, mn and opened a school to teach one last class "His Way". He sent me to the emergency room 4 times all together. For those of you who train in the "family" system, this was nothing like that. He wanted to teach a brutal korean style class and not worry about being too tough on the students. The school started with maybe 30 adults and when it came to black belt test there were only 2 of us left!
If you have trained with Jim you are lucky. Yun often referred to him as his best student ever, and I have to agree. I could share more stories of training from begining to end with Yun if anyone is interested.
I moved on when he retired, it was just too hard to be under anyone else after trained soley with Yun. I went on to JuJitsu, and then ching sai do karate and wing chun. My wife and I moved back from NJ to open my gym in Willmar MN. It's meant to be an outreach to the community, (we are associated with the BBFI, Black Belts of the Faith International) but in less than 2 years we are completely full and take a waiting list. Currently 95 students. I still use some of the "special" things Yun taught me.
www.ridlersmaa.cmasdirect.com
We are having a free JuJitsu seminar the first Sat. of November, let me know if anyone wants to attend.
(please know that I mean no disrespect by not using the whole "master" thing, it is part of our BBFI that we call no man master except Christ)

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would definately be interested in hearing some of the stories.

Feel free to email me [email protected]

I might be interested in attending that seminar also.

Mr. Neil

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained under Mr. Tim Cote the head instructor of Moorhead Black Belt Karate School (from 1986-1988 Moorhead, MN). Mr. Tim was a student of Grand Master Yun's. I met Yun several times and took a few lessons from him as well.

If any of you ever attended Moorhead Black Belt or remember Tim Cote.... please drop me a note here and at [email protected]

Those very good days in my youth and I miss Tim and Yun considerablly.

Courtesy,

Neil

18Delta

White Belt
Reaction score
I think many in the midwest have studied under Sabom-nim (more correctly kwan jang-nim) Yun. The assistant instructors I learned under were Mr Don Nelson, and Master Eugene Harcourt, and Master Don Cote.

I have not seen many of these fine men in many years now since My military obligations interrupted my training. If you see them say hello on my behalf and wish them well.

TMW.

18Delta

White Belt
Reaction score
Grand master Yun was WTF and Sang Moo Kwan yes. Sang Moo Kwan was his primary system he learned before anything else also was knowledgeable in Hapkido. Many of the techniques we were given had elements of both arts incorporated in them.

Work outs with him were always intense, I never found another school that gave me as many sore muscles or as much sweat as his school did. I cannot tell you how much I miss those days. I never would have made it through life as much as I have without the teaching of Sabonim Yun.
The sense of discipline and indomitable spirit he instilled in me helped to carry me through many hard times.

TMW

Ron Putnam

White Belt
Reaction score
This whole thread spark too many memories to pass up. I was a student of Duane and Terri Most, I attended classes with them around Rice Lake WI. Duane was a student of Grandmaster Yun's, and Duane's wife, Terri, was a student of Master Tim Cote's. I've met Master Tim on numerous occasions, he was kind of like our "grandfather" that we all looked up to. He was also one of the Masters at my black belt test in Cumberland WI, along with Master David Lee and Master Duane. I have great respect for Tim, as I do for all of those people. It's great to hear Jim Tindell and Big Nick talk about that summer camp because I was also at that camp. It was the first time I met Grandmaster Yun and that will be burned into my memory forever. Mr Jim Tindell probably doesn't remember me, since he was so young, but I trained with him until he received his junior Black Belt.
Master Jim was also a person that I looked up to while I trained with Duane. Master Jim is the most talented martial artist I've personally met. Master Eric was mentioned, I trained with him, I also remember Master Don when he moved to WI.
I have no idea if anybody checks this thread any longer, it is four years old after all, but it's great to see a discussion of this nature. Hope other people somehow stumble across this chat and decide to chime in, we'd all appreciate it I'm sure. Take care everyone.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This whole thread spark too many memories to pass up. I was a student of Duane and Terri Most, I attended classes with them around Rice Lake WI. Duane was a student of Grandmaster Yun's, and Duane's wife, Terri, was a student of Master Tim Cote's. I've met Master Tim on numerous occasions, he was kind of like our "grandfather" that we all looked up to. He was also one of the Masters at my black belt test in Cumberland WI, along with Master David Lee and Master Duane. I have great respect for Tim, as I do for all of those people. It's great to hear Jim Tindell and Big Nick talk about that summer camp because I was also at that camp. It was the first time I met Grandmaster Yun and that will be burned into my memory forever. Mr Jim Tindell probably doesn't remember me, since he was so young, but I trained with him until he received his junior Black Belt.
Master Jim was also a person that I looked up to while I trained with Duane. Master Jim is the most talented martial artist I've personally met. Master Eric was mentioned, I trained with him, I also remember Master Don when he moved to WI.
I have no idea if anybody checks this thread any longer, it is four years old after all, but it's great to see a discussion of this nature. Hope other people somehow stumble across this chat and decide to chime in, we'd all appreciate it I'm sure. Take care everyone.

Very good to hear more stories. Apparently, Yun still drops into Master Jim's dojang in Fargo from time to time. It's always interesting to see how many people are interconnected across the area/country.

DB1500

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been watching this site for some time... just as a guest. After reading these postings I have been bothered about it for a while... Just keeps itching at me. I just want to let you know that for every good memory of Master Yun and his organization there are memories that are not so good. Unless you have had to deal with this organization and put up with its "polotics" and infighting you dont know the whole story. They have just as many schools that have quit thier organization than they have in it.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been watching this site for some time... just as a guest. After reading these postings I have been bothered about it for a while... Just keeps itching at me. I just want to let you know that for every good memory of Master Yun and his organization there are memories that are not so good. Unless you have had to deal with this organization and put up with its "polotics" and infighting you dont know the whole story. They have just as many schools that have quit thier organization than they have in it.

Why do you think there are so many different organizations? You can never make everyone happy, thats a fact. I have had people leave my organization because they have thought the grass was greener on the other side. Were they right? I like to think not. But then again I look at it from my side of view.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do you think there are so many different organizations? You can never make everyone happy, thats a fact. I have had people leave my organization because they have thought the grass was greener on the other side. Were they right? I like to think not. But then again I look at it from my side of view.

What is your organization called? and where is it at?

tlpklein

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I just happened to get this urge to search about Master Yun and came across this forum. It has been many years since my training with Master Yun. I started with him in 1980 when I was only 5 years old. I was at school next to DQ in Fargo, before the expansion. I received my Pum belt at the age 10 and was teaching adult classes. I miss those days. I learned a lot from him. It's kind of weird think of how much influence he has had on my life from times so long ago. I remember Master Don, he mainly taught our classes along with Grand Master Yun. I also remember many times having to spend the entire hour of class on my knuckles staring straight at the floor, perfect forum with those grey bricks between my knuckles and the carpet. Too scared to move, not because of physical intimidation but because you didn't want to show weakness and disappoint Grand Master Yun. He was a gentle Giant to kids. I'm a teacher now and I wish the kids now could have the same discipline and respect taught at that school.

Take care

treexhippie

White Belt
Reaction score
Great Grand Master Yun is my "great grandfather." He trained Master Ralph Truesdell, who trained my instructor. I train in the Twin Cities, MN, and I just met Great Grand Master Yun for the first time a couple weeks ago at the IBBF Black Belt Camp. He was definitely not what I was expecting. He was way more nice! And he made all of us shout "I love you!" which was pretty cute.

Ms. Sheryl

White Belt
Reaction score
Our school here in little Henning Minnesota is under Grand Master Moo Yong Yun through Denzel Academy out of Fergus Falls, MN which is under the Greenquist Academy TKD Association out of Whapeton, ND.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Just remember, most of the schools that left did so after Grand Master Yun retired and the current people running it added their politics. It happens in most martial arts organizations.

Politics + Martial Arts = Bad News.

yun dog

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Does this ever bring me back. I began training with Master Yun in 1977. That stinky run down little space in Fargo completely changed my life. Every class was balls to the wall. Pain became your friend. The first class, Yun came by with a brick and scraped all the skin off our knuckles. It just went on from there.....
I was fortunate in that several friends of mine joined with me. We would push each other hard. And on those nights when you just didn't want to head out into the cold night and get knocked around.....these friends pushed each other to go. We trained very intensely. We trained hard contact. The more banged up we got...the more Mater Yun would just laugh. After class he would often tell us stories. He fought in Vietnam with the Korean ROK troops. Ask any Vietnam vets about the Koreans in Vietnam. They will tell you these guys were hard core.
We competed in many tournaments. Mostly our school would just overwhelm the competition. That sort of training put us on another level. We sent a team to Nationals in '80' and '81'. The North Dakota Tae Kwon DO team did very well.
At that time, Master Yun wanted us to start opening our own schools. I begged him to focus on our fighters and getting on the national team. He had a family to feed and chose to go the 'Family school" route. I left the area in 1982. I searched around for other places to train but nothing felt right after Training with Yun. He taught every class himself.
That training has stayed with me to this day on so many levels. If anyone sees Master Yun, tell him Mister Pat says hi...and tell him I said thank you.