Grading Requirements

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Im just asking this out of curiosity more than anything. Are there any specific grading requirements or guidelines in the Bujinkan? I did a bit of Tatkwondo a few years back and for various grades you had to be able to perform various patterns etc. In the Bujinkan there is none of this. I train without thinking about anything that I must specificially learn in order to get another grade and every now and again my sensei will grade me. I like this in that I can just get on with training and dont get caught up in thinking what I must do to progress but a friend was asking how grading works and I couldnt answer him.

Cheers for any responses.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My understanding is its the instructors call. Some like Von Donk Sensi have very specific guidelines some dont. Just my understanding.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah its pretty much up to the instructor. Not all dojos teach the exact same thing for the exact same rank. Bujinkan for the most part up to Shodan teach whats in the TenChiJin Joryaku No Maki.

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

The Ten Ryaku no Maki "Heavenly Strategy Book" Chi Ryaku no Maki "Earthly Strategy Book" Jin Ryaku no Maki "Man Strategy Book" is not just arbitrary. This is a collection of skills from six (6) of the nine (9) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu schools which all Shodans should have. The order and sequence of skill aqusition is for each Shidoshi to put into lessons.

This feeling of the Bujinkan being this formless "thing" is a view many have that train & practice with teachers not ready to teach.

Also, many don't train & practice on a regular basis they float from this dojo to that dojo and from this seminar to that seminar and maybe go to Japan to train at Hombu way before the should.

They need the basics the Kihon first. They should get this from the TCJRNM.

Just an opinion,

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

Kage-Ronin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to add a few cents in here....

A few years ago there was a manual of sorts called 'The Bujinkan Curriculum and Resource Guide' that was put out.
A number of folks had a hand in it's creation; Ed Martin, Thom Humphreys, George Russell, Tom Hayden, Jeff walker, Angie Smith, just to name a few. Anyway last I checked it was in it's second printing/edition and covered as a general guidance/guidelines, but by no means all inclusive, quite a large quantity of things to study up to shodan.
It was based on the TCJRNM, and may still be available. Send me a p.m if you are interested and I will look into where you might lay yours hands on a copy.

~Rob

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

The Ten Ryaku no Maki "Heavenly Strategy Book" Chi Ryaku no Maki "Earthly Strategy Book" Jin Ryaku no Maki "Man Strategy Book" is not just arbitrary. This is a collection of skills from six (6) of the nine (9) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu schools which all Shodans should have. The order and sequence of skill aqusition is for each Shidoshi to put into lessons.

This feeling of the Bujinkan being this formless "thing" is a view many have that train & practice with teachers not ready to teach.

Also, many don't train & practice on a regular basis they float from this dojo to that dojo and from this seminar to that seminar and maybe go to Japan to train at Hombu way before the should.

They need the basics the Kihon first. They should get this from the TCJRNM.

Just an opinion,

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

Well put Ken and the problem sometimes with going from dojo to dojo is that each different instructor had his/her emphasis on certain aspect of training. Some are stress proper kamae and posture, while others may emphasize angles etc etc. Someone as a beginner can either get information overload and/or confusion. The best thing to do is to find a good instructor that you feel confortable training with and train as much with this person before you move on to another instructor. I think the most common mistake that a beginner makes is that they try to "copy" the movement of their instructor instead of just learning the basics and then making it their own once they mastered it...

Latest Discussions