Grading again

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hiya everyone.

Today my nerves are going, well around about now anyway. By the time you read this i won't be at this computer any more but right now I am sat outside the grading hall in the computer in the internet cafe part of the gym.

My daughter is in her very first grading right now and in about 1 hour I will be starting. I'll let you all know how it goes when I next get online, but I thought I'd check in and say hello and give people a chance to think some really nice thoughts for me.

Thing is, our Master (The head guy in the UK) is sitting very very near me and I don't know why he's not watching the kids, he'll be watchign us later so this is why I'm nervous. I'm sure I'll be ok..... won't I?

Ok I'm off to get changed and go practice.... laterz guys!

:uhyeah:

:boxing:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No stress mate, you'll get out there and kick ****, just like yr daughter! Consider those good thoughts for you both thunk...
icon7.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Use the Force, 'Shell!" ... er, no, been watching too much Star Wars it seems :D.

Of course what I meant is remember what we talked about not so long ago wherein the mind gives the instruction and then gets out of the way whilst the body gets on with it.

You know the moves, you wouldn't be up for the grading if you didn't, so don't let the Demon Fret trip you up. If you think you've fluffed a technique and doing it again is not an option, then just move on regardless.

When I was up for a middle kyu grade a couple of years back I made a complete hash of one of the kata. I mentally shrugged in an "Aww, blown it!" kind of way and performed everything else without hiccup ... because I'd accepted I'd 'failed' and stopped worrying.

The result? I graded to 3rd kyu. The best bit? Sensei said that one of the reasons I'd graded up was because I'd massacred a kata and had the maturity to set it aside and carry on :D.

I would wish you luck but I'm sure that you don't need it :tup:.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By now you're in the thick of your testing - I'm sure it's going well! Please let us know how it went when you're done, for both of you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't forget to return and tell us how you did..Go kick some butt..

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You[plural] have done brilliantly, Shads. In my mind's eye, I have seen it all! :)

Time to celebrate, kiddo!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the immortal words of "Cajun guy", "Yoo can doo eet!"

Peace,
Erik

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Best wishes and hope all goes well today.In the spirit of bushido!Rob

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you're well into it by now, so now Thinking all those good thoughts for you and your very little 'un. :angel: The pre-event butterflies are the worst. I know from our talks you're a strong, confident and determined young woman, and I don't see anything being up to standing in your way. :EG:

And by all means, let us know immediately! :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck to you both! I'm sure you're doing great!!! :)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing more to add except the congratulations to both you and your daughter. I have no doubt that both of you will do well. :asian:

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks SO much guys!

Well by 2pm my daughter had finished, I asked one of the friendly Helpers (1st Dans) how she did and he said she did really well. I'm glad I've got friends amongst the Dan ranks, it helps ;) Some people are scared to talk to them... :idunno: I was signing to them to save me sweeties when the big guys couldn't see me.... :D

Anyway I went in at 2pm GMT, and we kept going non stop until 5:30pm.

I must have known you lot were wishing me well and posting all this because I DIDN'T FLUFF ONE SINGLE THING! I overbalanced a little on my kick which was turning kick followed directly by reverse turning kick but I feel that was more because of my foot injury. (which incidently now has collapsed completely and is a fallen arch :( ) The only thing Mister Archer and Master Oldham picked me up on was my walking stance which wasn't wide enough, where at one point I was told it was too wide by an instructor, so really that was just putting my stance back to how it used to be, so I wasn't too upset. My Korean was word perfect and I didn't stutter once even though I was the only one in my grade and had to go up to the table on my own, whereas everyone else had the protection of a gang. I kinda like that anyway, it gets me noticed and they remember me. When I was up there I could feel the Dan ranks at the end of the table willing me to do well... I LIKE haviing friends in high places :D

We were treated to a great speech by Master Oldham though (President of our association), since I think he's considering retiring from doing gradings, where he told us about how he got into TKD 40 years ago as one of Grandmaster Rhee's first UK 12, and how Grandmaster Rhee was General Choi's first 9th Dan and how proud he is of being his student. He also went into a lot of philosophical stuff about TKD and I was impressed by his depth of knowledge. I'd love to sit down and really have a chat with the guy, he's awesome. He seemed to skirt around a lot of the "accepted" history and not argue with it as well which gave me the impression that he had really dug into his real history like we do here.

Makes me wonder if Master Oldham is a Lurker on here...... Master O? you here? *grin*

Anyway I don't find out officially until Monday whether I've passed or not, but if I've failed I'll eat my Dobuk. With sauce.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
TERRIFIC JOB BY YOU AND YOUR ITTY BITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think anyone really had any doubts. :)

And so (a just slightly early)
CONGRATULATIONS!
:partyon::partyon:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS

SHADS & DAUGHTER!!!!