Grabbing with the index finger sticking out

KrillinGO

White Belt
Reaction score
Which is more appropriate, grabbing with the INDEX finger sticking out, or not sticking it out? I saw both ways of grabbing somebody's wrist from different Hapkido schools. One explanation I have heard for sticking the index finger out is for the flow of ki/energy. Can someone please tell me more about it? Which way is more the right way, or more traditional?

Thanks

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Which is more appropriate, grabbing with the INDEX finger sticking out, or not sticking it out? I saw both ways of grabbing somebody's wrist from different Hapkido schools. One explanation I have heard for sticking the index finger out is for the flow of ki/energy. Can someone please tell me more about it? Which way is more the right way, or more traditional?

Thanks
I don't know about the index finger, but in high society, it's considered polite to stick out one's pinky. :)

Seriously, though, I've not heard anything about index finger, but it's often a good idea to avoid using your thumb. Rather than using a traditional grip, particularly if you're controlling a wrist or something like that, a monkey grip (where you grip only with your fingers, thumb on that same side) is a safer way to go. In some cases, if you use your thumb, you can get caught in a wrist lock. In others, it's just a good way to get your thumb broken.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks

In aikido, instructors often demonstrate with the index finger extended to make it easier for the students to follow the flow and path of the technique. It can be a teaching tool in addition to the energy aspects. Obvious as you gain experience the position of the fingers become less important in your mind since the key to all of this working anyway has to do with your center rather than the limbs.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I studied Hapkido we never extended or separated the fingers durring grabs and other techniques, the explanation was they were too easy to break that way.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Covered before but why not. Extending the finger cranks your hand to an angle that changes the torque. It also pushes out the bone at the base of that finger which then digs in to pressure points nicely adding an extra touch.
See KHF LOGO.

Think about when you line up your punch so the knuckle, wrist, and arm bones create a straight line. When grabbing normally the line moves to V of your hand, not helpfull. By extending your finger that knuckle is now lined up with your entire arm like a punch would be and gives you significant leverage.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Covered before but why not. Extending the finger cranks your hand to an angle that changes the torque. It also pushes out the bone at the base of that finger which then digs in to pressure points nicely adding an extra touch.
See KHF LOGO.

Think about when you line up your punch so the knuckle, wrist, and arm bones create a straight line. When grabbing normally the line moves to V of your hand, not helpfull. By extending your finger that knuckle is now lined up with your entire arm like a punch would be and gives you significant leverage.

But what stops a person from executing a counter by using that finger and doing a "peel and break"? It becomes a convenient handle AND lever.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually the unbalancing and quick pain shot. Also you dont really stick it out up in the air. Its still in contact.
No point in trying to show the benfits on a forum, but to answer the post it should be taught in Hapkido.
Ten bonus points though for what I would call the right answer. Being grabbed, get hold of the smallest thing that will twist and break : )

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Besides getting a better grip with the thumb and last 3 fingers than with the thumb and index finger, what Dave said about the pressure point.

Everybody I know would see you as a beginner if you didn't have your ki finger (index finger) extended. And yes, if you can grab a finger by all means break it off and keep it as a souvenir. :)

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
whichever is your strong side, take your other hand, palm facing you and grab that hand and squeeze with your strong hand. First, with the index finger loose or extended and then with it closed like the other fingers. You decide which exerts more pressure/force and which is more likely to remain stronger during resistance.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
not a Hapkido guy...but did many years of Aikido. Our instructors did the index finger thing. I was told that ti replicated how one grabbed a sword. Pinky tightest, third finger slightly less and so on, until the index finger was barely touching (or sticking out). Aikido/hapkido were derived from daito-ryu aiki-jujutsu...and were heavily influenced by weapons based systems in Japan.

That's my take. I could be wrong. :)

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ita about the angle. Extending the finger makes you angle down changing the torque. Try it : )

OP
K

KrillinGO

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, can't you explain more about it? Appreciated

OP
K

KrillinGO

White Belt
Reaction score
"The idea is not to use your whole hand to grab.
Sean"

Thank you, can you explain more about it? Appreciated

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was told that ti replicated how one grabbed a sword. Pinky tightest, third finger slightly less and so on, until the index finger was barely touching (or sticking out).

This is actually a trick we use... You are correct about the grip, but again we never stick the finger out just close it loosley... however, you often see "Sword people" doing just that, sticking it out... and... right before they execute their cut/strike... they curl it in.

It's an excellent way of knowing when to move and counter. *wink*

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Experiment, you will find you can get a far better grip without the index finger as opposed to with it.

grab your own wrist with opposing hand, first with index included, then without..
Also apply lock on wrist, does not the index get in the way? it does doesnt it. You get less thumb pressure to apply to the back of hand when its drawn lower due to usind index at crux of wrist, when index is not used your thumb is higher and can apply more pressure much more easily etc.

Hapkidoman

White Belt
Reaction score
It is not that complicated, the index finger is the dominate and strongest finger on the hand. When you grip with it, most of your energy is used in the index finger. When you point the index figner you can now grip with all 3 remaining fingers and thumb. Try gripping both ways with all your strength and see which way the grip is stronger.

Hapkidoman.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why on God's green Earth would you make it that much easier for someone to break your finger? Grip with it loosely maybe, but sticking out?!? Someone grabs my wrist or arm with their finger sticking out, I'm going for the finger - easiest way to break the grip. They can't even use their other arm to hit you, at least if they don't want a broken finger.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not that complicated, the index finger is the dominate and strongest finger on the hand. When you grip with it, most of your energy is used in the index finger. When you point the index figner you can now grip with all 3 remaining fingers and thumb. Try gripping both ways with all your strength and see which way the grip is stronger.

When gripping using the index finger, it is difficult to put power in your baby finger. I tend to use the thumb and baby finger as the leverage points on joint locks. When you grab with the index finger, then the pivot points become the thumb and index finger, which is weaker that having the pivot point be the thumb and baby finger.

Also by not grabbing with the index finger, it creates a natural grove where the index finger was.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is actually a trick we use... You are correct about the grip, but again we never stick the finger out just close it loosley... however, you often see "Sword people" doing just that, sticking it out... and... right before they execute their cut/strike... they curl it in.

This is what we do. But we curl it in during the strike, not before.
And I guess that by then, the motion of the finger is not giving anything away that a 6 foot staff or sword moving rapidly towards you is not telling you as well. :)

Latest Discussions