Gout?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regarding sugar, I think it depends on what type of sugar and how much. Right now, I've been avoiding HFCS as much as possible (I use cane sugar, raw honey or stevia at home, only drink sugar sweetened drinks when out, or water) due to other concerns. I'm seeing references to higher gout issues in hfcs users.

An article I read (dont have the link) made distinctions between frutose and sucrose, and hfcs. The hfcs was very bad, and one of the ose's was worse than the other. frutose I believe.
It also said when looking at fruit juices, that the organic, nothing but juice was best. Avoid if you see added water, and added sugars, preservatives, etc.

Couple of links, take with grain of salt. ;)
http://www.draxe.com/5-all-natural-ways-to-beat-gout
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/96164.php
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...uit-juice-and-soda-increase-risk-of-gout.aspx
What I would say is that although 'natural' is good, these articles seem a little biased against using medication. Certainly medications have side effects but the ones used to relieve gout are only used short term. Allopurinol which is used to prevent recurrence has been around for many years and at normal dose is generally well tolerated.

i love horse riding. Despite that I would use a car to travel any long distance. Sure I run the risk of a high speed accident but it is a low risk. As I said, natural is great but we can still make use of modern knowledge. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each their own........ In my case I brought my blood pressure down considerably and my rusty joints back from the brink. There are options other then.........................

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view is, I'll go chemical when I exhaust natural options. Had too many issues with meds, and I dislike hospital stays caused by reactions.

But the links I posted weren't on my 'solid reliable' list, hence the 'grain of salt' note. I'm seeing a lot of people, including reputable ones suggest cherries. So I feel safe trying that. I have seen some contradictory suggestions, baking soda for example.

I'm also drinking keffir for other reasons, and a few people have suggested this could help too.

1 persons suggestions

http://goerwitz.name/drupal/index.php?q=essays/gout
  • Ease into things (diet, exercise, or otherwise)
  • Stay active: Walk to work, bicycle, and play sports
  • Drink enough water, especially during and after exercise
  • Avoid meat and meat products; and eat them only with other things
  • Avoid mushrooms, legumes, yeast; eat them only with other things
  • Stay away from known gout triggers: alcohol, aspirin, niacin, sugar, etc.
  • Avoid refined grains and sugar, especially on an empty stomach
  • Eat lots of so-called pro-biotic foods like kefir, cheese, and real sauerkraut
  • Avoid foods containing preservatives and other unnatural additives
  • Eat out less frequently, and "eat fresh," as the Subway ads say

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My view is, I'll go chemical when I exhaust natural options. Had too many issues with meds, and I dislike hospital stays caused by reactions.

But the links I posted weren't on my 'solid reliable' list, hence the 'grain of salt' note. I'm seeing a lot of people, including reputable ones suggest cherries. So I feel safe trying that. I have seen some contradictory suggestions, baking soda for example.

I'm also drinking keffir for other reasons, and a few people have suggested this could help too.

1 persons suggestions

http://goerwitz.name/drupal/index.php?q=essays/gout
[/LIST]

Bob, I've been making my own Kefir for 11/2 years now. Not the store bought kind, but the kind made with grains given to me. I buy raw milk close to my house and for pennies I enjoy all the benefits that probiotics can give. May not be for everyone but the information is out there on the health benefits and that suits me. I feel great............

stayalive70

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello new guy here,
Lately I have gotten Gout flare-ups by just working the bag for a few rounds of kickboxing. Specially after kicking the bag with front kicks, I get flare-ups in my ankles

*Anybody relates?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello new guy here,
Lately I have gotten Gout flare-ups by just working the bag for a few rounds of kickboxing. Specially after kicking the bag with front kicks, I get flare-ups in my ankles

*Anybody relates?
no, but I know a few people with it AND it's not the exercise that causing the gout its your diet/ life style, though some are more prone to it than others, they make it worse by how they live. get treatment/ medication / change diet/ stop drinking / lose weight, which ever are applicable, and if kicking a heavy bag hard brings it on, stop kicking it as hard or for as !ong seems like a sensible short term solution

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello new guy here,

*Anybody relates?
I don't know much about gout, but I didn't think specific activities could cause a flare-up. But since it's crystallization in the joints, perhaps it's just being irritated by the pounding. I'd tinker with some adaptations to see if you can figure what really aggravates it, and (as Jobo said ) maybe try backing off a bit on the power.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No experience with gout, but wanted to welcome you to Martial Talk stayalive70.
Perhaps go over to the meet and greet and post an introduction.
Good luck with the gout issue.
Brian