Got my butt whopped by a Kickboxing champion until I started jabbing him

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait you don't throw hook punches in sparring yet you were critiquing a fighters hook punch....do you see the issue with that

Slow down partner. We got the hook in TKD. But it's prohibited in sparring.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Slow down partner. We got the hook in TKD. But it's prohibited in sparring.
So you've only thrown in the air and on pads....you don't know if you can actually use it in real fighting again do you see the issue with that

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you've only thrown in the air and on pads....you don't know if you can actually use it in real fighting again do you see the issue with that

The thread was about the technique, how he threw it against the heavy bag. It looked incredibly akward to me.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The thread was about the technique, how he threw it against the heavy bag. It looked incredibly akward to me.
Yep because you know than a professional fighter right? See that's the thing your threads are making you sound incredibly big headed

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep because you know than a professional fighter right? See that's the thing your threads are making you sound incredibly big headed

Is Bas Rutten sacred? I can express my opinion about anyone.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is Bas Rutten sacred? I can express my opinion about anyone.
If I came to you and started criticising your taekwondo and all your forms you'd call me arrogant especially since Ive never trained taekwondo In my life. So it's no different to you criticising a mma fighters boxing technique when you've never done boxing or mma

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I came to you and started criticising your taekwondo and all your forms you'd call me arrogant especially since Ive never trained taekwondo In my life. So it's no different to you criticising a mma fighters boxing technique when you've never done boxing or mma

Well we have hooks in TKD and it looks nothing like the way he threw it, and very much like a boxers...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we have hooks in TKD and it looks nothing like the way he threw it, and very much like a boxers...

Doh! I think it's time you gave this up. Your understanding of your knowledge of different martial arts is flawed. You have your black belt grading coming up, concentrate on that and don't worry how other people are doing techniques. If you want to watch sparring etc watch videos from the Olympic TKD which is what you seem to be training, listen to what your instructors tell you and train, train and train. I used to have a T shirt which said "STFU AND TRAIN." it's good advice.

Maybe that's because....he's an mma fighter not a taekwondo fighter

You got there before me. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes a decent jab can set up your entire fight. Doesn't really matter who it was against. Keep up the good work.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

"Champion" doesn't necessarily mean much unless you know the details of how that title was won.

Technically, I could claim to be a "kickboxing champion." I have a championship belt and everything:

champbelt2.jpg

In reality, that "championship" was for a single tournament and I only had one opponent in my division. I'm proud of the win, but there are several orders of magnitude between that accomplishment and a K1 championship.

Also, you're way overgeneralizing from a sample size of one. What you know is that this particular student, who has some sort of kickboxing background and has good kicks (by your standards) and (if he is to be believed) won some sort of championship (which may have been as small time as my "championship"), has trouble handling a jab.

I can guarantee you that there are tons of kickboxers out there who use jabs extensively and defend against them very well.

That said, a good jab is a wonderful tool. Keep working on developing it and using it in your sparring with everyone. Just don't expect it to be some sort of magical kickboxer kryptonite.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
How could a simple flick of the wrist be such a potent weapon against a kicker? Well, it is!

Are Kickboxers not used to constant jabbing? It totally upset his rhytm. He was much more skilled than I.

My belief in boxing grows by the minute, even against kickboxers...
Wait aren't you the guy that was asking if he should start boxing last week? And now after what..one or two lessons your beating champion kickboxers?

I guess if it's on the internet it must be true.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe that's because....he's an mma fighter not a taekwondo fighter

There's no such thing as an MMA hook!
A few thoughts...

"Champion" doesn't necessarily mean much unless you know the details of how that title was won.

Technically, I could claim to be a "kickboxing champion." I have a championship belt and everything:

View attachment 20997

In reality, that "championship" was for a single tournament and I only had one opponent in my division. I'm proud of the win, but there are several orders of magnitude between that accomplishment and a K1 championship.

Also, you're way overgeneralizing from a sample size of one. What you know is that this particular student, who has some sort of kickboxing background and has good kicks (by your standards) and (if he is to be believed) won some sort of championship (which may have been as small time as my "championship"), has trouble handling a jab.

I can guarantee you that there are tons of kickboxers out there who use jabs extensively and defend against them very well.

That said, a good jab is a wonderful tool. Keep working on developing it and using it in your sparring with everyone. Just don't expect it to be some sort of magical kickboxer kryptonite.

He's not the only one. All the face punching TKD guys are upset by it and get clocked

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's not exactly true. If you throw from your toes with your feet close together in mma, you'll probably end up on your back. In boxing, throwing this way works as it adds mobility.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not exactly true. If you throw from your toes with your feet close together in mma, you'll probably end up on your back. In boxing, throwing this way works as it adds mobility.

Point is that mma is not a martial art, it is a blend of martial arts, including boxing.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's not the only one. All the face punching TKD guys are upset by it and get clocked
This would be a sign that the guys in your school don't spend enough time using and defending against jabs. Keep using it. They'll learn.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
This would be a sign that the guys in your school don't spend enough time using and defending against jabs. Keep using it. They'll learn.

But how many top level Kickboxers do you see using the jab extensively? I was a big fan of K1 back in the day... Those giants weren't really using it that much, that I can recall.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Point is that mma is not a martial art, it is a blend of martial arts, including boxing.
I don't know about that. MMA draws from anything and everything that works, but in execution all of those elements are different than their parent arts.

MMA boxing is distinct from classical boxing, MMA grappling is distinct from BJJ or wrestling, mma footwork is distinct from karate/boxing/mt/etc footwork. All for the same reason;there are more elements at play.

I would say that over all, mma is a distinct martial art. To say it is not because it contains elements of other martial arts is to eliminate a good deal of other martial arts such as karate, judo, aikido etc etc from the category of 'martial art' also.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of the joys of MMA is that you can adapt any technique to your specific needs and ability. It offers the freedom to tweak techniques and moves to suit your body shape, height etc. so a hook punch might not look like the classical hook punch but if it works for you then it's an excellent hook punch. The same goes for every other strike, kick and technique.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the joys of MMA is that you can adapt any technique to your specific needs and ability. It offers the freedom to tweak techniques and moves to suit your body shape, height etc. so a hook punch might not look like the classical hook punch but if it works for you then it's an excellent hook punch. The same goes for every other strike, kick and technique.

The majority of mma fighters take boxing classes. That's just a fact.