got anything useful for these situations?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by aedrasteia, Oct 7, 2018.

1. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

This particular article is a grey area for me...

On one hand, it could be viewed as interfering with an officer performing their duty. It's not just against that particular person, it becomes against "the uniform" and undermines the authority.

In that context it's bigger than the single action and he fully deserved punishment of some description.

On the other hand, "The judge said he had caused the PCSO to suffer "embarrassment, distress and anxiety"."

Embarrassment, sure - especially in the context of what was happening at the time.

Distress and anxiety? That'd have to be contextual.

Considering she was dealing with "a potential anti-social behaviour situation" at the time, it could have escalated the situation in a particularly nasty fashion - the people she was dealing with may well have thought "she won't do anything, look what that guy got away with" - in the moment I can see potential distress and anxiety.

The article doesn't go into further detail, but if the judge meant "lasting embarrassment, distress and anxiety" - i.e. she was experiencing ongoing psychological effects - then hey, overreaction.

2. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

That was certainly not how I reacted - I must be uncommon ;)

I didn't consider myself a victim, and it didn't make me feel the need to beat him (them actually, considering it's happened more than once).

More a case of "thanks but no thanks, I'm really not your type" - situation resolved.

3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

I wasn't bragging about myself. My students used to call me the "iron man". Back then, everyday I looked at mirror and compared my body with Bruce Lee's body. My body fat level was 6%. :)

Typical body fat amounts

Description Women Men
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:08 AM
  4. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

I can agree. I was trying to make a point about the difference between genders, when the question was asked about the difference. Analogy : is the glass half full or half empty. Both are correct. Is a man stronger then a women, or are women weaker then men? Both are describing the same thing but to SAY women are weaker is not socially acceptable.
    My thought is " victim" as a word holds mutiple meanings and what seems to be happening in today's society is the denial of separate uses. So legally I can be a victim of a sexual assault but that is different than having emotional trauma. Today certain view points try to erase that line. A 15 yo girl can be a victim of statutory rape or assault but we cannot automatically jump to the conclusion that she was not the instigator. If we want to push this concept of equality. Then not all people feel trauma and not all people are emotional victims.
    Half full: men can be traumatized too.
    Half empty: not all women are week, angelic , innocent victims.

I'm not sure if I am explaining this well..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

Well enough.

I get what you're saying.

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    You don't understand UK law.

You weren't however telling someone they were overeacting you wre telling them how to feel and behave.

Lasting physical damage? hardly, I've broken most of my fingers and toes doing martial arts, breaking a couple is nothing. You see there you go telling a woman how she should behave again, it's your standard or none isn't it? You say we aren't in a dictatorship but you are quite happy telling me how I should deal with a situation, a hypothetical one at that, a woman is unlikely to pinch my bum, a man is and you think that an invasion of my privacy and person just merits a nice telling off. As you aren't a woman you cannot tell me that a single pinch of my backside is nothing. To you, as a man, perhaps it is, to me as a woman it is. Don't condemn a woman because she doesn't want her backside pinched, you have no idea what it feels like as a woman to have that done to you. Don't say a woman wasn't embarrassed etc, don't demean her feelings by assuming she's over reacting. As I said if you don't see the problem then you are part of the problem.

You also seem to be saying that the gay community is one that has sexually assaulted you several times but it's fine. Now that's an odd thing to say.

Yep that's bragging.

7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

A: You are bragging.
    B: I'm not bragging.
    A: You are.
    B: I'm not.
    A: ....
    B: ...

You win! :)

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

As Bruce Lee was an attractive man and you were comparing yourself favourably to him it does seem fairly obvious!

9. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Most people when they get old, they will have nothing left but "bragging about their past". People like to remember nice memory and forget bad memory.

10. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I'm old and live in the present with a lot to forward to in the future, I hate reminiscences :rolleyes:

11. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

That's a good spirit. Agree! We have to live in the present. I'm going to walk away from my computer and spend my next 2 hours running on the Pismo Beach California (1 and 1/2 mile away from my house) and enjoy my life.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Twenty minutes to midnight here so I'm off to bed. :D

13. DaveB

DaveB Master Black Belt

Are you stupid?

I'm having trouble understanding how anyone could believe this was a reasonable response.

I'll spell it out as best I can in the hopes that your ignorance is not wilful.

A 6 yr old child is not criminally responsible for their actions. That means they don't know better nor do they necessarily know how to control themselves.

A grown woman pinching a grown man on the butt is an invasion of personal space, inappropriate and potentially illegal, but it does not compare with the reverse situation of a man doing it to a woman because of the inherent strength differences between men and women.

You were never in fear that the woman might come back and try to pin you down and sexually assault you. Were a guy to do it to her, the fear of what may follow is very real.

I spent a year on crutches, unable to stand upright due to a bad back and it was the first time that I as a man ever ft vulnerable walking down the street. When a guy approached me asking for money I was afraid to refuse in case he tried to take it. The feeling or lack thereof, of vulnerability is what differentiates horseplay among peers and minor sexual assault like a butt pinch.

But in no universe does a preschool bully or a butt pinch equate to being pinned down and an attempt beinv made to rape you, you absolute moron.

Internet stupidity rarely disgusts me to the point of nausea but you have managed it.

In regards to the question, I don't teach, but if I ever do I plan on exploring what might be effective skills with a female student or colleague rather than just trying to theorise based on my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1