Goodbye 'Grasshopper'

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was an avid viewer of the original show when I was twelve. He was definitely an iconic figure whose legend survived his personal demons and flaws.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's very sad, and tragic indeed. I remember watching ths show as a little kid and play acting the character with a friend. The show had an impact on me to be sure, just as "Billy Jack", and later, Bruce Lee movies did. I will pray for his family.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Avoid rather than check..

Check rather than hurt..

Hurt rather than maim...

Maim rather than kill.."

Not a bad lesson for a T.V. show to attempt to impart on young martial artists. Not a bad legacy, for those that learned the lesson.

He will be missed.

:asian:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am somewhat bashful to admit, David Carradine in Kung Fu was my first inspiration to become interested in pursuing martial arts when I would watch those reruns in my Jr. High school years. I have always loved that tv show and it is saddening that Mr. Carradine passed away. RIP.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even know there were "politics" involved with him let along a Carradine vs Lee argument (I suppose it's about who's better?).

It's a shame the way he went though, nobody should ever "check out" by hanging oneself. I liked his movies too.

Actually the "politics" were because Bruce Lee came up with the idea of the Kung Fu TV show as a vehichle for his own career. He worked with the producers to flesh the idea out and then the studios decided to go with Caradine instead of Lee as the main character. They felt that the American public wasn`t ready for an Asian to carry the lead on a TV show. Lee was supposedly always bitter about it and held it against Caradine.