Good technique for short person?

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs, any judoka out there that would know a good technique for someone like me? I find taiotoshi and kata guruma easier than others but I can still struggle with them depending on my opponent.

As for groundwork I try to sink in chokes if someone has me in their guard, if not I'll keep them down with kesa katame.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As for groundwork I try to sink in chokes if someone has me in their guard, if not I'll keep them down with kesa katame.

What guard are you sinking in chokes in? You should be threatening chokes to help pass their guard but if you're actually sinking in chokes then your opponents really need to work on their guard.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What guard are you sinking in chokes in? You should be threatening chokes to help pass their guard but if you're actually sinking in chokes then your opponents really need to work on their guard.

Sorry, wrong wording. Threatening, yes, and sometimes it's distracting enough to help me pass their guard, sometimes it isn't.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You asking for competition or just for Randori in class? Kata Garuma is hard to pull off in competition these days. Have you considered Hiza-garuma? What belt level are you?

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You asking for competition or just for Randori in class? Kata Garuma is hard to pull off in competition these days. Have you considered Hiza-garuma? What belt level are you?

White belt – maybe orange soon, just tested but don't know my results – I guess a good technique for both? I'm not sure I've gone over hiza garuma yet.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
White belt – maybe orange soon, just tested but don't know my results – I guess a good technique for both? I'm not sure I've gone over hiza garuma yet.
As a white belt, I'd concentrate on the basics, O-goshi, Osoto-gari , and the trips Kosoto gari or gaki. There is a reason they are the basic throws taught to beginners. They are foundational to so many other techniques you will learn.

You're going from white to Orange? No yellow belt?

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a white belt, I'd concentrate on the basics, O-goshi, Osoto-gari , and the trips Kosoto gari or gaki. There is a reason they are the basic throws taught to beginners. They are foundational to so many other techniques you will learn.

You're going from white to Orange? No yellow belt?

Since we'd be yellow for so short a time sensei doesn't want to waste the money (we're a college club and have a budget) on a belt we would only wear for a few months. He tests us for yellow and orange at the same time; if we don't make orange but satisfy yellow requirements we just keep our white belt till we make orange.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much any throw involving the hips. It will also be much more difficult for taller people to do them on you since they must get lower than your hips.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good technique for a short person?
All of them. Because you're not the only short person. And it's quite likely people exist who are shorter than you.
So... all of them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In wrestling, if you are

- taller than your opponent, you play with his neck/head/shoulder, the upper body control.
- shorter than your opponent, you play with his leg/waist, the lower body control.

Good throwing techniques for shorter person are:

撞(Zhuang) - Trunk hitting,
靠(Kao) - Advance squeeze,
合(He) - Inner hook,
掏(Tao) - Inner knee seizing,
崩(Beng) – Crack,
穿(Chuan) - Fireman’s carry,
撿(Jian) - Foot picking,
刀(Dao) - Inner sickle,
扣(Kou) - Knee seizing,
削(Xiao) - Sickle hooking,
摟(Lou) - Spine lock,