Good teaching clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm more interested in what works than in old photos. Or even in whether something was done by GM Yip, WSL, or anybody else.

As my first Escrima instructor, Rene Latosa used to say, "Nobody cares who you learned from, it's what you can do". Unfortunately, too many people do worry too much about names and certificates rather than what you can do, ...and how well you can teach it. One of my current coaches never got a "black belt" in anything, but he has real skill as a fighter and is a very good coach. Many of his students do have very high ranks in various arts.
This is truth. When I mention my teacher, it's for a similar reason to you. He could teach Panda Style Kung Fu (sorry just watched the new movie with my God Son lol) but he is an excellent teacher who puts WC and Kali in the context of real world Law Enforcement encounters. When I mention his WC Sifu (who I also occasionally train under) the only reason I mention the closed door William Cheung thing is to is to explain that in terms of general TWC methodology he knows it, beyond that the real reason I mention him is because he is a combatives Subject Matter Expert for not just the DoJ but a number of US Military organizations including the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command and the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

I study with them because of their knowledge, experience and teaching ability.

There is another element though which I think is also missed. The experience of my teachers only provides me with the potential to grow as an practical martial artist. In the final equation the buck stops at the practitioner's door. Avoiding that by endless harkening back to a master who is dead to justify your knowledge or potential for success misses one of the main the points of studying MA imo, personal growth.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seeing as the guard position is a very basic thing taught early on, Yip Man actually taught this directly to many many students. Yet only WSL got it right? Not because he tweaked it and refined it himself, mind you, ....but because only he got what GM Yip was teaching? ;)

Amazing....

And it is that hard to get, so hard that Leung Sheung, Lok Yiu, Tsui Sheung Tin, Ho kam Ming, Hawkins Cheung, and all the others (including William Cheung and Leung Ting, et al.) never got it. :(

And yet you and Guy have it! :woot:

But you won't share the secret with us :(:(:(.

Though you will encourage us to see the error of our ways and look for the truth. :smug:

Boy, these emojis are fun....:D:p ....but I digress :confused:.
But WSL says that he teaches what YM taught him. Since other students do things differently (even if only subtly) it's broken and Occam's Razor doesn't apply don't you know :sour:

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
you won't share the secret with us

Though you will encourage us to see the error of our ways and look for the truth

Happy to share with you, but if you don't want to know or not motivated to find out, what point in helping?

All of the pictures of YM that I have seen show him standing with wu as WSL taught, the way that makes sense in terms of the strategy, the forms, everything. As opposed to the way that doesn't (as illustrated earlier in the thread by LFJ).

I don't know what all of the other people you mentioned teach and wouldn't want to say negative things. But then I don't see what other people think has to do with it- it is something for you to think about if interested, or to forget about if not. The authority of "Leung Sheung, Lok Yiu, Tsui Sheung Tin, Ho kam Ming, Hawkins Cheung, and all the others (including William Cheung and Leung Ting, et al.)" seems irrelevant to the question.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since other students do things differently (even if only subtly) it's broken

If the system no longer works as intended then yes it is broken.

The thing about this particular question is that it is critical to lsdd which is essential for thoughless hitting with high % success. It is taught early in the system and it ties many elements together. Without it the strategy fails or requires alteration. It runs right through SNT. Without it you are chasing hands. It isn't rocket science, just needs someone brave enough to be honest and to explore the situation.

If you would prefer to snipe from the sidelines then not much I can do about it and no benefit comes from this discussion. Up to you. I am away now for a few days so maybe LFJ will help you. But you need to want help for it to be worth giving. Help is not just telling you the answer- you need to think it through.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But you won't share the secret with us :(:(:(.

Though you will encourage us to see the error of our ways and look for the truth. :smug:

Happy to share with you, but if you don't want to know or not motivated to find out, what point in helping?

Hope your not getting so flustered to the point of having reading problem. Geezer (as others have) clearly waiting for you to share, you clearly stated you would be HAPPY to do so. What is with that "if you don't want to know or not motivated(???) to find out" BS .. are you trying to squirm out of this one also?

So let me ask you, is the secret Soooo secret that you are forbidden to reveal? Or the secret is indeed Soooo secret that you have not been enlighten to it?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Geezer (as others have) clearly waiting for you to share, you clearly stated you would be HAPPY to do so. What is with that "if you don't want to know or not motivated(???) to find out" BS .. are you trying to squirm out of this one also?

Nobody is making any effort whatsoever. Your post a good example. No point in giving any info to people not motivated to receive it. Info is pretty straight forward in terms of this particular scenario. It's basic stuff, no reason not to share.

So let me ask you, is the secret Soooo secret that you are forbidden to reveal? Or the secret is indeed Soooo secret that you have not been enlighten to it?

Not secret at all, basics 101. Being a troll is is not likely to help you gain the desired info though. Re-read the couple of posts above.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being a troll ...

Sounds like something you have experience with. :p

Seriously though. Drop the attitude. You don't know the people on this forum. Some of these guys may be much more experienced in the fighting arts than you ...even if they don't train WSL-PB-VT.

Or maybe not. Either way, how about taking the high road, at least some of the time. Share your ideas, let others share theirs. And even if you think that your way is best, have the manners not to brag about it!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the system no longer works as intended then yes it is broken.

The thing about this particular question is that it is critical to lsdd which is essential for thoughless hitting with high % success. It is taught early in the system and it ties many elements together. Without it the strategy fails or requires alteration. It runs right through SNT. Without it you are chasing hands. It isn't rocket science, just needs someone brave enough to be honest and to explore the situation.

If you would prefer to snipe from the sidelines then not much I can do about it and no benefit comes from this discussion. Up to you. I am away now for a few days so maybe LFJ will help you. But you need to want help for it to be worth giving. Help is not just telling you the answer- you need to think it through.
The problem is you don't define "working as intended" from an independent perspective, rather you are already convinced that WSLPB-VT is THE VT and as such any other WC/VT that claims YM Lineage is broken and not working as intended. Look at it like Word Processing programs. There are a number out there. If you simply do not like the UI of WordPerfect or your main experience is in MS Word, it is reasonable to say you don't like WordPerfect and that you prefer MS Word. You can then explain why you prefer Word, or the weaknesses of WordPerfect. It would be ridiculous to say WordPerfect is broken, even more so to make such a claim when your only reason is "Microsoft" but this is exactly what you do when it comes to WSLPB-VT.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Several people have out right asked several times & continue to do so. If that's not wanting to know or motivation I would like to know what is. Simple truth here is you either don't know or believe it to be top secret.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody is making any effort whatsoever. Your post a good example. No point in giving any info to people not motivated to receive it. Info is pretty straight forward in terms of this particular scenario. It's basic stuff, no reason not to share.

Not secret at all, basics 101. Being a troll is is not likely to help you gain the desired info though. Re-read the couple of posts above.
So basically what your saying is that you want people to bai see to you, for you to impart to them basic knowledge on a position useless out side of pre-arranged drills?

Sounds more like you simply can't answer the question.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Happy to answer any questions from people who are motivated and honest.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I thought WSLPB VT used Chi Sau to develop the punch. Looks to me like Kevin was hand chasing and struggling to keep up with Shawn. I don't believe he punched once let alone land a shot.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Happy to answer any questions from people who are motivated and honest.
Really, you want people to work out the answer for themselves before you reveal your answer. How is that answering their question? Sounds like a tactic to bs your way into making people believe that you've got something special.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I thought WSLPB VT used Chi Sau to develop the punch. Looks to me like Kevin was hand chasing and struggling to keep up with Shawn. I don't believe he punched once let alone land a shot.

Chi sau a cooperative drill. Not Kev's fault that obasi didn't know this. Not sure what it has to do with me either?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, you want people to work out the answer for themselves before you reveal your answer. How is that answering their question? Sounds like a tactic to bs your way into making people believe that you've got something special.

Not at all, just not much point in talking to people whose agenda is trolling

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chi sau a cooperative drill. Not Kev's fault that obasi didn't know this. Not sure what it has to do with me either?
Oh right, cooperative drill. Seems to me I remember Kevin mouthing off about his superiority and wasn't able to support his claim. You we're one of his cheerleaders if I remember correctly.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like something you have experience with. :p

Seriously though. Drop the attitude. You don't know the people on this forum. Some of these guys may be much more experienced in the fighting arts than you ...even if they don't train WSL-PB-VT.

Or maybe not. Either way, how about taking the high road, at least some of the time. Share your ideas, let others share theirs. And even if you think that your way is best, have the manners not to brag about it!

Pointing out problems is not bragging. Not accepting poor answers as equally valid is not attitude. I am open to honest discussion as I have said. Help yourself

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh right, cooperative drill. Seems to me I remember Kevin mouthing off about his superiority and wasn't able to support his claim. You we're one of his cheerleaders if I remember correctly.

Nothing to support in a cooperative drill. It's just a cooperative drill. Nothing he can do if training partner is a spaz

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol at the desperation. Look, I don't really have time to deal with moronic points from stupid people who are just trolling. I have an early flight tomorrow. So if you want put some reasonable non bitchy questions, maybe explore the situation a bit, if you are brave enough to do so. Don't worry, I don't know who you really are. I will try to answer tomorrow evening (Europe) if LFJ has not already done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.