Good teaching clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy, would you be willing to address one or two of the aspects in the above videos that you disagree with?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Danny-A comment reluctantly: He appears to be hitting the other person's hand in the lop/punch sequence.

Aiming at the centerline would be better. Its the other person's job to deflect the punch wit bong sao.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Danny-A comment reluctantly: He appears to be hitting the other person's hand in the lop/punch sequence.

Aiming at the centerline would be better. Its the other person's job to deflect the punch wit bong sao.

Reluctantly because it shows you apparently just felt like putting a big red X on the post and leaving a stupid comment.

Hitting the other person's hand? What are you even talking about? Which video, who, and when?

There were obvious checks for "hit the face" in both videos.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thank you Joy.
Something I noted in the first video is what appears to be the crossing of the center to gain the Lap. Something in my training would be considered an no-no.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would help if you guys would not be so vague. Point to a specific action in time and discuss it.

Let me give you an example of critiquing a drill in a clear, detailed, and constructive manner, telling what is problematic and how I would fix it in this post and continuing the discussion by follow-up in this post.

If you disagree that the videos in the OP here show a nice exchange of information and good teaching methodology, explain exactly why.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would really like further clarification Joy, with time points and detailed analysis as LFJ outlines. Maybe then we can get somewhere?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a nice video and I appreciate you sharing it. It's fairly consistent with how I do this drill.

I appreciate seeing his physical correction of some of the positions. My SiFu is a good orator and have some of his ability to explain things, but I have a language gap with one of my students and it has challenged me to look for non-verbal ways of teaching and correcting.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Joy.
Something I noted in the first video is what appears to be the crossing of the center to gain the Lap. Something in my training would be considered an no-no.

Do you understand which of the two clips Joy is referring to, and which time point in the clip i need to look at to see where his criticism applies? If you could also point me to the time in the first clip where your criticism applies then that would be great, thanks.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you Joy.
I was thinking the same thing. As an example, and please correct me if what you learn is different. If I am going to lap the opponent's left with my left I am going to have to zone to his outside/flank, typically using a cheun sau as cover as it drops easily into a lap. I am not however reaching across my center to accomplish it.

Now if my opponent has brought his hand/arm across my center then of course I can lap but it is HE that reached across my center, I don't reach across it myself.

The above is my current understanding. I think it would actually be an interesting discussion to analyze the "why" of the difference because I may learn something useful.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you understand which of the two clips Joy is referring to, and which time point in the clip i need to look at to see where his criticism applies? If you could also point me to the time in the first clip where your criticism applies then that would be great, thanks.
I THINK he may be referring to the first video, at about the 1:00 mark. He appears to be feeding a fak sau to the student's already waiting hand. I could be wrong however.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I THINK he may be referring to the first video, at about the 1:00 mark. He appears to be feeding a fak sau to the student's already waiting hand. I could be wrong however.

Can't and won't speak for Joy but I agree with the above.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't and won't speak for Joy but I agree with the above.

Joy was talking about the laap/punch sequence, as it seems you were.

Juany is talking about faak-sau.

You are being very unclear for some reason.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I am going to lap the opponent's left with my left I am going to have to zone to his outside/flank, typically using a cheun sau as cover as it drops easily into a lap. I am not however reaching across my center to accomplish it.

Now if my opponent has brought his hand/arm across my center then of course I can lap but it is HE that reached across my center, I don't reach across it myself.

Are you still talking about the laap-sau cycle?

How are you "zoning to his outside" without "reaching across your center"?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

They were talking about the laap-sau cycle. This is something else. So, I still don't really know what they're talking about, and they seem unwilling to discuss detail, though they are happy to X the video and say something vague about a "no-no".

Anyhow, it is feeding because it is a mutual drill, not fighting. The student had 4 months of training there, so it is still a little clumsy and unnatural.

The laap + faak sets up the next part for the student to train recovery of position to wu-sau and replacing to check forward with the other hand to keep from being followed back, and reseting to find another tactical entry.

Hips, elbow, footwork, man-wu switch all work together. The feeder then does another laap + faak to recover their position and set it up on the other side. A mutual drill. The partners swap roles at 1:33.

Later, this can be drilled in a more alive manner, as in the video below. Recover lost position to wu-sau and check forward, reset to find another tactical entry, intercept and attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.