Good Perspective

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been very open about what I'm looking for from my martial arts training, and what my kids get from theirs. If you think I lack integrity because I'm not looking for full contact competition, you are closed minded and belligerent and you don't understand what integrity means.

No that isn't true either. And this is where you are binding yourself up with bad logic and indignation.

My issue isn't with what people train. It is people's incredibly fluffy definition of works and then how they didn't demonstrate that karate works even under that fluffy definition.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No that isn't true either. And this is where you are binding yourself up with bad logic and indignation.

My issue isn't with what people train. It is people's incredibly fluffy definition of works and then how they didn't demonstrate that karate works even under that fluffy definition.

* I told you I enjoy competing in point karate and I compete regularly. I like that rule set of competition. My training directly "works" for that and is oriented toward that. I am training for the rule set I compete in. My goal is not to compete under the MMA rule set, just like when I trained in FIE-rules epee (I fenced for about seven years, including a gold at the Colorado State Games and several trips to nationals), my goal was to compete in FIE-rules epee, not MMA. My sport then was fencing so I trained for fencing. My sport now is point karate and so I train for that. My sport is not MMA; that's your sport.

* I told you I wanted to get in better shape because I'm now an office worker. My training directly "works" for that.

* I told you I wanted my eight-year-old son to develop coordination, mental resiliency, confidence, and athleticism. His training "works" for that. Why on earth would you ever question that? You've never even met him, and you don't know a damned thing about him. He's my son and I've seen huge leaps and bounds in his coordination, mental resiliency, confidence, and athleticism in the past two years.

Again, you clearly are equating "works" with "works in an MMA competition," ignoring that most people's end goal is not to compete in MMA competition. You and I train in different sports. I'm training for my sport and the my sport's competition. You're training for yours. Your arguments about "your training lacks integrity" is as nonsensical as a rugby player telling soccer players that their training "lacks integrity" because it's not well suited to rugby competition.

Last edited:
OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah yes, Drop Bear. He's on my ignore list so I didn't see his regular troll spiel. It's not Karate he is against, it's everything except what he does.

Back to hiding ignored content.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
* I told you I enjoy competing in point karate and I compete regularly. I like that rule set of competition. My training directly "works" for that and is oriented toward that. I am training for the rule set I compete in. My goal is not to compete under the MMA rule set, just like when I trained in FIE-rules epee (I fenced for about seven years, including a gold at the Colorado State Games and several trips to nationals), my goal was to compete in FIE-rules epee, not MMA. My sport then was fencing so I trained for fencing. My sport now is point karate and so I train for that. My sport is not MMA; that's your sport.

* I told you I wanted to get in better shape because I'm now an office worker. My training directly "works" for that.

* I told you I wanted my eight-year-old son to develop coordination, mental resiliency, confidence, and athleticism. His training "works" for that. Why on earth would you ever question that? You've never even met him, and you don't know a damned thing about him. He's my son and I've seen huge leaps and bounds in his coordination, mental resiliency, confidence, and athleticism in the past two years.

Again, you clearly are equating "works" with "works in an MMA competition," ignoring that most people's end goal is not to compete in MMA competition. You and I train in different sports. I'm training for my sport and the my sport's competition. You're training for yours. Your arguments about "your training lacks integrity" is as nonsensical as a rugby player telling soccer players that their training "lacks integrity" because it's not well suited to rugby competition.

And so is the cautionary tale of the words, works,effective and self defense. I will throw spirituality and discipline in there because nobody can mesure that either. And so could mean anything.

And that you cannot take them on face value.

To validate the integrity of a claim you need to look for evidence. Martial arts that are worth their claims will provide it.

Those that won't will get upset.

I mean this is important if someone was looking for a good karate school.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not a Karate guy, but a click-hole led me to this guy's YouTube channel and I enjoyed his perspective in this video. Maybe some of you will too.

Thanks for the video . Didn't like it lol. I understand what he was saying but didn't care much for how he explained it.

When people start talking about types of something, the conversation will become something different.

Instead of explaining, types of karate, it would have been important to just focus on "training according for purpose." if you train for performance, then you need to train using Methods A. If you train for fighting, then you need to train using Methods B. If you train just for exercise, then train using Methods B.

My experience is that people forget to train according to their purpose of taking martial arts. People will train martial arts for a spiritual / enlightening experience and then think that they can fight. What they forget is that then never got into martial arts nor train martial arts for fighting.

I'm going to sound arrogant. But if I asked someone why do they take martial arts, and none of the reasons include to learn how to fight using the system. Then they probably can't fight using the system, simply because they aren't training to fight. They are training for some other purpose.

The overall point of what he says in the video is correct, but he went in a round the world to say it and opened himself up to some inaccuracies of "types of karate".

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been very open about what I'm looking for from my martial arts training, and what my kids get from theirs. If you think I lack integrity because I'm not looking for full contact competition, you are closed minded and belligerent and you don't understand what integrity means.
Some people are worth ignoring.

D

Deleted member 39746

dont know if its a counter to anything in the video. but its a video where the person does a impression on that channel owner. (if i got the right one) so enjoy. :p

and no better place to put it than in reply to a video by him.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

dont know if its a counter to anything in the video. but its a video where the person does a impression on that channel owner. (if i got the right one) so enjoy. :p

ha ha ha.. he did the "suck it" move lol.
The last bit had me cracking up.. "When you tell people that you do the Karate, the conversation is over lol". How true. I tell people I do kung fu and it's always "is that like karate". No Dammit. It's not Karate. lol

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The last bit had me cracking up.. "When you tell people that you do the Karate, the conversation is over lol". How true. I tell people I do kung fu and it's always "is that like karate". No Dammit. It's not Karate. lol

No but the real, original karate is a bit like kung-fu. ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Meanwhile what karate is doing in Queensland.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I think is really weird is that people think they need to do terrible martial arts to train casually.

"I don't train to fight so am best suited to a gym where nobody can fight."

You can train a style that works and not take the training seriously. You are still paying their bills. And I think you would get more out of it because at least you will be in the same room as successful martial artists.

And at least then you are not being lied to or taught a bunch of junk. Which i don't think helps in any form.

The only downside would be that in one of those good gyms you couldn't swagger like a bad *** because serious guys will constantly be outclassing you.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You and I train in different sports. I'm training for my sport and the my sport's competition. You're training for yours.
I do not understand why people want to train just for "sport". After I had spent some time in a Judo forum, I then understand that some people do train just for the "sport".

I train "sport" too. But sport is only my path. My goal is "combat". I'm more interested in those illegal moves used in sport. One day if I can have a notebook that contain all the illegal moves used in all MA sport, that notebook will be my MA bible.

Last edited:

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not understand why people want to train just for "sport". After I had spent some time in a Judo forum, I then understand that some people do train just for the "sport".

* Because sport is fun.
* Because sport is athletic.
* Because sport allows you to test what you learn in a crucible on a regular basis (whereas most of us will never encounter real life self defense).
* Because you can learn a lot about yourself and about others by training and competing in sport.

I don't begrudge those who prefer non-sport martial arts. Everyone likes different things. But sports are really popular for a reason. Nobody questions this in a nonmartial context like soccer. Why is it surprising to you that martial sports like judo or sport karate or Olympic TKD would have the same reasons for widespread appeal that soccer does?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
* Because sport is fun.
* Because sport is athletic.
* Because sport allows you to test what you learn in a crucible on a regular basis (whereas most of us will never encounter real life self defense).
* Because you can learn a lot about yourself and about others by training and competing in sport.

I don't begrudge those who prefer non-sport martial arts. Everyone likes different things. But sports are really popular for a reason. Nobody questions this in a nonmartial context like soccer. Why is it surprising to you that martial sports like judo or sport karate or Olympic TKD would have the same reasons for widespread appeal that soccer does?
Agree that sport is fun. The only concern that I have about 100% "sport" is the lacking of finish strategies training.

At the end of this clip, he kicks his opponent's head when his opponent is on the ground. This is an illegal move in most MA sport. In sport, after you have taken your opponent down, that round is over and next round will start. That extra kick just point out an important concept, the round may be over, but the fight is not over yet.

You hike in the woods, when a guy jumps on you (no help is available), you do need to have some dependable "finish strategy".

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me I wanted to compete in a sport because it's the only place where I didn't have to worry about pulling any power off my techniques. I could just do them as they were intended. But unfortunately, I ran out of time and became too old to participate in sparring competitions. Such is life.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gave up on telling people what I practice a while ago. No one knew what kenpo/kempo meant, so I would just say "I have karate practice", or "I train karate". And only specify if they ask about the style. Even now, with kali being totally different, I still tell them I practice karate unless they start asking questions/appear interested.

Saves me from all the hassle of having to explain to everyone.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why is it surprising to you that martial sports like judo or sport karate or Olympic TKD would have the same reasons for widespread appeal that soccer does?
There is always something missing in the "sport" training.

The following picture is my favor example. From the point view of

- sport, this posture make sense.
- combat, this posture make no sense.

I don't want to train wrestling all my life and let my opponent to punch on my head and knock me down.

Sport + X = combat

IMO, the missing X is very important.

wrestling-posture.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is always something missing in the "sport" training.

The following picture is my favor example. From the point view of

- sport, this posture make sense.
- combat, this posture make no sense.

I don't want to train wrestling all my life and let my opponent to punch on my head and knock me down.

Sport + X = combat

IMO, the missing X is very important.

wrestling-posture.jpg
There is always something missing in every training. Nobody has it perfect.

People do what interests them. You worry about you. Don’t worry about them.

Latest Discussions