good footwork drills

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
like it says, im interested in some good foot work drill or exercises to make my 245lbs light on my feet.

B

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try eskrima! A little knife-sparring makes you want to move because you can't risk taking a hit. (Of course I don't mean to use live blades, just that mindset.) It really helps.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try eskrima! A little knife-sparring makes you want to move because you can't risk taking a hit. (Of course I don't mean to use live blades, just that mindset.) It really helps.
might have to look into that. thanks Arni

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
like it says, im interested in some good foot work drill or exercises to make my 245lbs light on my feet.

B

As Arni said, the FMAs, ie: Kali, Escrima, Arnis, etc., have some good drills. You can work various patterns off of the X pattern. You could also, with a partner, do a mirror drill. Both of you square off in your stance. While maintaining good posture and footwork, start with one person designated as the 'driver' of the exercise. Basically, you're doing the mirror image of what your partner is doing. If he moves towards you, you'd move back. If he moves back, you move forward, etc.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
See if you can get some Bagua training. Best method for developing footwork, continuous movement, moving root.... and can be applied to any martial style.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i wish i could here but KY doesnt have many styles to offer. Ive decided to pick up some books and DVD's on it.

B

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
i wish i could here but KY doesnt have many styles to offer. Ive decided to pick up some books and DVD's on it.

B

I will second Arnisador's comment about FMA footwork, but you probably need something that will relate back to your core art a bit better. I'll recommend Ron Balicki's Filipino Boxing, it has a ton of stand-up stuff that rolls right into kempo and pieces throughout the 3 dvds that focus on footwork.

Available for about as cheap as you can find here:
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8070

If you do want to look at FMA footwork, I like the Dog Brothers first series "footwork" tape, but that will run you essentially the same price as the Balicki tape. There is also the Pekiti DVD that was just re-issued by Tuhon McGrath, I haven't seen it, but his other material is good, and it comparitively inexpensive.
http://www.pekiti.com/store/store.php?crn=44&rn=429&action=show_detail

Also jump rope, lots of rope time, you need to develop your muscles to be light on your feet.

Latest Discussions