Good arts for getting to your gun

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
SC has a similar approach to TX. To give some personal experience from it, I scored 100% on it with a gun I'd never fired before. I was probably a well-above-average shooter at the time, but I would've preferred a test that wasn't so easy. For liability reasons, the test wasn't from the draw - gun was at presentation, all strong-side, etc. It was essentially really easy target shooting. I do much more difficult shooting at a standard firing range.

2 hours on the range is basically nothing. I would assume the point of that was to make sure folks know how to handle their firearm (basic safety lecture).
Shows basic competency and helps, imo, prevent incompetent "spray and pray" shooters.

I know there are logistical and political reasons the tests and classes are what they are, but I think they are mere CYA for the state and the CWP holder.
The DGU stats seem to imply that "little to no training" is an acceptable self defense standard. It's uncomfortable to seriously contemplate for those of us who train, but facts are facts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two reasons.

I would want to take the first opportunity to shift the odds of a fight in my favor as I would be concerned I might not get another one.

And if I can draw a gun and prevent you from stopping me. I am ultimately protecting that gun. To draw it out I have to keep it clear from you. So even if I don't draw the gun. Positioning so I can is pretty much always going to be in my favor.

This is still just grappling but with a change of priorities.

I think like a lot of your answers, this one is not well thought out.

How often do you wrestle with one hand tied behind your back? What is your success rate when you do?

Because when you draw a weapon, until you can get it in train and fire, you are wrestling with one hand. That is sure to effect your ability to bring the weapon to bear and fire; your opponent isn't likely to stop his efforts when he sees you reach for a gun, but rather redouble his efforts to hurt/subdue you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shows basic competency and helps, imo, prevent incompetent "spray and pray" shooters.
I'm not sure how much it does the latter. It's certainly better than not doing that bit, though.

The DGU stats seem to imply that "little to no training" is an acceptable self defense standard. It's uncomfortable to seriously contemplate for those of us who train, but facts are facts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'm not familiar with those statistics, so I can't speak to them. The common issue with statistics, of course, is that someone has to categorize, and the choice of categories can change the statistics. That makes it hard to take much nuanced information from statistics about something so variable as self-defense.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Re-reading this, I realize that I wasn't very clear about what I mean here. What I mean is that DGU (Defensive Gun Uses) statistics for the U.S. a low estimate of a tad under 30,000 per year, to a high of over 1,000,000 with most of the dependable statistics hovering in the 30,000 to 70,000 range. That means that every year somewhere around 30,000 to 70,000 people use a gun to defend themselves from criminals in the U.S. The U..S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, crime and victimization survey averages just shy of 50,000 per year for the 5 year period of 2007-2011 and 83,000 per year for earlier periods. Most people correctly compare that to the number of murders with a firearm (somewhere around 9,000-11,000 per year) and draw a favorable conclusion for the use of firearms in defense.

But there's another statistic which is very important as part of this and in reference to this sub-topic of minimum training and competency requirements. That is the "shots fired" statistic. Statistic for how often one or more shots are fired by the DGU range from between less than 10% up to just shy of 25%. That means that between 75% and 90%+ of the time the person defending themselves with a gun never fires a shot! When a gun is displayed (or implied) the bad guy suddenly finds he has somewhere else he really needs to be. So what level of training and minimum competency is required for a "didn't actually use it but still had a 75%-90%+ success rate?" Read that again. Somewhere over 75% of the time, a person doesn't need any training or competency at all to successfully defend themselves with a gun!

That's akin to people using <cough> "martial arts" for self defense with their effective training being "I took a Cat Stance and used my constipated face." ...with 75%+ success rate.

Literally this means that the vast majority of the time no train is required for effective self defense use with a gun.

So why train at all? Well, what happens if you're that unfortunate guy in the 10%? Right. Go train. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-reading this, I realize that I wasn't very clear about what I mean here. What I mean is that DGU (Defensive Gun Uses) statistics for the U.S. a low estimate of a tad under 30,000 per year, to a high of over 1,000,000 with most of the dependable statistics hovering in the 30,000 to 70,000 range. That means that every year somewhere around 30,000 to 70,000 people use a gun to defend themselves from criminals in the U.S. The U..S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, crime and victimization survey averages just shy of 50,000 per year for the 5 year period of 2007-2011 and 83,000 per year for earlier periods. Most people correctly compare that to the number of murders with a firearm (somewhere around 9,000-11,000 per year) and draw a favorable conclusion for the use of firearms in defense.

But there's another statistic which is very important as part of this and in reference to this sub-topic of minimum training and competency requirements. That is the "shots fired" statistic. Statistic for how often one or more shots are fired by the DGU range from between less than 10% up to just shy of 25%. That means that between 75% and 90%+ of the time the person defending themselves with a gun never fires a shot! When a gun is displayed (or implied) the bad guy suddenly finds he has somewhere else he really needs to be. So what level of training and minimum competency is required for a "didn't actually use it but still had a 75%-90%+ success rate?" Read that again. Somewhere over 75% of the time, a person doesn't need any training or competency at all to successfully defend themselves with a gun!

That's akin to people using <cough> "martial arts" for self defense with their effective training being "I took a Cat Stance and used my constipated face." ...with 75%+ success rate.

Literally this means that the vast majority of the time no train is required for effective self defense use with a gun.

So why train at all? Well, what happens if you're that unfortunate guy in the 10%? Right. Go train. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Okay, I see your point there. We end up with the same question we have with MA: "Should we train for things that are unlikely to happen?" Those "things" being having to fire the gun (for CCW) and something like knife attacks (for MA).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I would also assert that "no training" is really only required if the gun isn't loaded (chance of AD during handling and when presenting, for instance), but you covered that with your original "no or minimal" statement.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I see your point there. We end up with the same question we have with MA: "Should we train for things that are unlikely to happen?" Those "things" being having to fire the gun (for CCW) and something like knife attacks (for MA).
It also means that those minimal CCW training classes that everyone likes to denigrate as "not actual training"... well, 75% to 90%+ of the time really is sufficient.

Which kinda leads me into my other current thread here:
Question on Your Testing Standards

That thread is specific to my personal training. I'm kinda looking at what skills people expect a new person going from zero knowledge would have after 2 months of training. That's the minimum time training before someone can test for Yellow Belt in USJA. That usually translates to 8-16 hours of actual class time (training and practice); figuring 1-2 sessions a week at 1-2 hours per session. Ohio's CCW class is minimum 8 hours and the NRA Basic Pistol class assumes zero knowledge and experience and takes the person to shooting a minimum competency test; in about 12 hours. In other words, the NRA Basic Pistol class sorta represents what a person starting at zero would know after 2-ish months of formal Dojo training. So to draw a comparison, the NRA Basic Pistol class, and their requirements, is kinds-sorta roughly equivalent to a Yellow Belt.

Let that sink in. There are lots of ramifications to that comparison.

For me, I really want to take that even further. This is for my own personal development. But if the NRA Basic Pistol is roughly the equivalent of Yellow Belt or around 2 months "dojo" time what would firearms trainers and experts expect a zero starting point person to have in terms of skills and knowledge after 5 months? Just follow whatever your "time in grade" standards are for your martial art and apply that time to firearms. See where I'm going with this?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also means that those minimal CCW training classes that everyone likes to denigrate as "not actual training"... well, 75% to 90%+ of the time really is sufficient.

Which kinda leads me into my other current thread here:
Question on Your Testing Standards

That thread is specific to my personal training. I'm kinda looking at what skills people expect a new person going from zero knowledge would have after 2 months of training. That's the minimum time training before someone can test for Yellow Belt in USJA. That usually translates to 8-16 hours of actual class time (training and practice); figuring 1-2 sessions a week at 1-2 hours per session. Ohio's CCW class is minimum 8 hours and the NRA Basic Pistol class assumes zero knowledge and experience and takes the person to shooting a minimum competency test; in about 12 hours. In other words, the NRA Basic Pistol class sorta represents what a person starting at zero would know after 2-ish months of formal Dojo training. So to draw a comparison, the NRA Basic Pistol class, and their requirements, is kinds-sorta roughly equivalent to a Yellow Belt.

Let that sink in. There are lots of ramifications to that comparison.

For me, I really want to take that even further. This is for my own personal development. But if the NRA Basic Pistol is roughly the equivalent of Yellow Belt or around 2 months "dojo" time what would firearms trainers and experts expect a zero starting point person to have in terms of skills and knowledge after 5 months? Just follow whatever your "time in grade" standards are for your martial art and apply that time to firearms. See where I'm going with this?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'm going to visit that thread, Kirk.

I do think a reasonable simple competency with a gun (not competency for stress deployment, but enough to not accidentally kill yourself, and probably not anyone else) is achievable in those few hours. Just like we could teach most anyone to deliver a reasonable punch in those same hours, if they aren't concerned with blocking, moving, etc. More important (especially given the stats you refer to), some knowledge of when to draw, what constitutes reasonable force, etc.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm still looking for any indication that you have any real knowledge of what "industry training" in the firearms world looks like. I'm beginning to doubt that you do.

I don't know how voodo works either. But i don't have much faith in that either.

I wouldn't go to a gun guy to learn to wrestle though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the individual and the Department standards (and how much money they have to spend). I know cops that are highly skilled fighters and apply the same rigor to firearms as to unarmed fighting. I know some cops who only shoot the requal when required and worry about passing.

So any extra training police have to do on their own time and money?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. It's like saying that a First Aid class doesn't teach how to apply a chest seal for a sucking chest wound and doesn't have a lot of trauma care. Well duh. It's a First Aid class not an EMT training program.

It is a course designed to get a certificate. Nobody cares if it teaches any actual first aid skills at all.

If I do a first aid course screw up and kill someone I can't blame bad training.

This is because the purpose of this training is to gain the qualification. And why the only people who do these courses are the people who have to.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough. But are you justified at that point in using lethal force? And is it worth the risk of introducing a lethal weapon into the fight?

Thats a big if. If you fail and I end up with it ....you are dead.

Yet the most secure and easiest place to retain and protect it is inside the holster.

But that is a game with zero room for error. You make a mistake....you die.

Why not use those grappling skills to maintain control and work back up to your feet and draw the gun once you can be sure I can't get my hands on it.

Once you introduce a gun into the fight, your options become extremely limited and while engaged in grappling you run the risk of losing it no matter what your skill is.

Basic rule is you never want your gun inside the reach of the bad guy.

Why would you use the gun at all in that circumstance?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know how voodo works either. But i don't have much faith in that either.

and I wouldn't go to a guy for opinions on how to keep a hold of my firearm who didn't have any training or experience in it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and I wouldn't go to a guy for opinions on how to keep a hold of my firearm who didn't have any training or experience in it.

Absolutely. I mentioned that myself. They would have to show me live that they can do what they claim before I put a lot of faith in them.

I advocate that in any self defence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I wouldn't go to a wrestler to learn gun retention. There's some crossover if the wrestler has gun experience, and if the firearms instructor has grappling experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a course designed to get a certificate. Nobody cares if it teaches any actual first aid skills at all.

If I do a first aid course screw up and kill someone I can't blame bad training.

This is because the purpose of this training is to gain the qualification. And why the only people who do these courses are the people who have to.
Actually, a lot of people go to first aid courses specifically to learn first aid and don't really give a flip about whether there's a certificate or not. I go back every decade or so for that reason, and a lot of the folks I motorcycled with did the same (to have some hope of helping should someone wreck).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think like a lot of your answers, this one is not well thought out.

How often do you wrestle with one hand tied behind your back? What is your success rate when you do?

Because when you draw a weapon, until you can get it in train and fire, you are wrestling with one hand. That is sure to effect your ability to bring the weapon to bear and fire; your opponent isn't likely to stop his efforts when he sees you reach for a gun, but rather redouble his efforts to hurt/subdue you.

When I am using a bat a radio or a mobile phone. Which I have done. Apparently guns are different.

This thread is about fighting to get a gun clear. Not just fighting. So i am working of a wrestle where the gun is the objective here. Either for him or you.

It is no good getting out and clear if I have dropped 20 elbows in to your head before you do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, a lot of people go to first aid courses specifically to learn first aid and don't really give a flip about whether there's a certificate or not. I go back every decade or so for that reason, and a lot of the folks I motorcycled with did the same (to have some hope of helping should someone wreck).

In my class there was nobody. The instructor made the point to ask. In his experience that is generally the way these things went.

In CB,s class defensive class we can ask how many people just turned up to learn skills. Maybe do a refresher on their own time?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I wouldn't go to a wrestler to learn gun retention. There's some crossover if the wrestler has gun experience, and if the firearms instructor has grappling experience.

You think that fight would come down to better gun knowledge?