Good arts for getting to your gun

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
your more stubborn than my wife..
  1. footage of police is not what i thought we were talking about, in fact the question was asked , if were were discussing LEO or civilian as they are not the same and it does make a big difference.
  2. police footage IS NOT THE ONLY FOOTAGE out there of gun violence,, Youtube "Active Self Protection" and you will find literally thousands of videos of gun violence.
  3. show you my method working??? again go to Active Self Protection if you need to see the "run away principal" in action...i kinda thought it was universally understood since we were all like 7 years old.

so this is some sort of different mechanics bein used?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have pulled bats, radios and torches out on guys while wrestling. Wrestled handcuffs on guys. Why is a gun so difficult?

1) Bats do not A.D. and blow your balls off as you try to draw them.

2) The end of a bat can't be pushed into your gut while the trigger is pulled gut shooting you.

3) If dropped it doesn't matter what end of the bat you end up grasping.

4) You can't push the slide of a bat 3 mm back and take it out of battery

5) You can't push a slide 3/4 back and double feed a bat rendering it inoperable

6) If the bad guy takes your bat away and you run away....the bat is not gonna send a projectile through the air at 1300 feet per second and kill you

7) Bats aren't typically worn underneath clothes with retention holsters

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

i have no idea what you are arguing against. (which is not unusal) and as usual you dont have an actual agument in words but instead post video clips so here i will return the argument

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
@drop bear

I'm posting a video I recently came across of why its not a good idea to be engaged physically with someone with a gun in your hand. To much of a risk losing retention of it. A gun is a distance weapon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@drop bear
without a defined scenario this conversation is pointless.
can you define one please.

Really?

Ok For what ever reason you have go in to an issue with a guy. He has punched you in the head and then jumped on top of you.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
@drop bear

I'm posting a video I recently came across of why its not a good idea to be engaged physically with someone with a gun in your hand. To much of a risk losing retention of it. A gun is a distance weapon.

thats funny you both posted the same video to prove your point on why each of you are right.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really?

Ok For what ever reason you have go in to an issue with a guy. He has punched you in the head and then jumped on top of you.
let me restate so i am sure we agree.
a guy walks up to me and punches me in the head, i fall down or get pulled down and he jumps on top of me.... yes???
my solution, use my BJJ skills. so what is your argument about ???
a fist fight most of the time does not justify drawing a firearm and killing the guy.
rule number one ...if you carry dont get in a fist fight.
rule number two.. if you choose to draw a firearm ( at least here in the US) you better make sure your intention is to use it and that you are legally justified because you will be prosecuted.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@drop bear

And I counter with why it is not a good idea to be on the back foot in a fight. Too much risk of you loosing before you have a chance to recover.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

now if you want to change your scenario to this video clip,, again BJJ skills is the method to use once you are in close contact and fighting for a weapon. it could be argued remaining standing might work better but it is a grappling match standing or on the ground , possibly both.

again no argument on my part

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

i have no idea what you are arguing against. (which is not unusal) and as usual you dont have an actual agument in words but instead post video clips so here i will return the argument

Um........

my solution, use my BJJ skills. so what is your argument about ???
a fist fight most of the time does not justify drawing a firearm and killing the guy.
rule number one ...if you carry dont get in a fist fight.

So your defensive shooting videos is your own definition of the wrong thing to do.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I counter with why it is not a good idea to be on the back foot in a fight. Too much risk of you loosing before you have a chance to recover.

What does any of that have to do with drawing your gun while wrestling with someone?

Well lets just agree to disagree. I will use the tactics we train at my agency, and you can use the tactics you train at yours. I feel very confident with the tactics that we teach.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate guns.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been involved with guns for a long time. I carry a firearm as a mandatory piece of equipment when I'm working. I sometimes carry a firearm when I'm not. But, when there's trouble and danger, as a civilian, I can run away if I get the chance. Can't do that when I'm working, even when I want to. And when I'm working, the very last thing I ever want to do is draw my weapon. As a civilian, I don't really give a F. It frightens me that I feel that way. But save your advice, I know plenty of lawyers.

I hate guns. Loathe them. I hate the NRA even worse. I wish there were no guns anywhere in the country........except for, you know, mine.

Hey, I never said I was sane or rational.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And with all of these concepts you will absolutely need to take these ideas into the lab and see what you can get away with and what you can't.

There is no shortage of fake guns out there that you can't actually try it.
Agreed. That was part of my early posts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is actually kinda the point I and others have been making. That's video of the guy with the gun losing it in a struggle. It wasn't loaded, so it wasn't dangerous to him (and also wasn't usable as a gun in the scuffle), so that eliminates some of the possible outcomes, but still...

Latest Discussions