Goju Ryu practitioners?

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The Okinawan Sanchin is absolutely the same as the Chinese Sam Chien, albeit modified. Tensho has some similarities to it but is softer. They're related; I've seen them compared to Yin and Yang aspects (Sanchin being hard, Tensho being soft).

I found one of those Saam Chien/Sanzan clips on my sensei's website

http://www.geocities.com/wadokai_indonesia/guilianjing.zip

I can't help but to see Sanchin and Tensho's embryo in this hsing/kata :)
Whaddya think?

PS: If the original owners of the clips are offended by this posting, I apologize deeply and will delete the file immediately.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
"Some of the open palm movements looks like "Saamchien""
Isn't this nearly identical to the original Sanchin?
There is a video from Dragon-Tsunami on the Saamchien from Feeding Crane Style. I have not seen the video but it was reccomended to me in order to see the close Chinese connection.

Do you see the chinese connections in the above clip, Jim san? :)

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Okinawan Goju I've been exposed to performs sanchin much more slowly with deep inhalations and exhalations of breath. I can see the resemblence, though. I'd say the Uechi-Ryu version of sanchin comes closer to the clip you provided than Goju's.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
stoneheart said:
The Okinawan Goju I've been exposed to performs sanchin much more slowly with deep inhalations and exhalations of breath. I can see the resemblence, though. I'd say the Uechi-Ryu version of sanchin comes closer to the clip you provided than Goju's.

Yes, I noticed that too. Also, many Kuntao guys in Indonesia does almost the same Sanchin/Saam Chien. The breathing techniques varies but it's always the same finger pokes and rooted stances.

Are you from Uechi-ryu?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No, I do not study Uechi-Ryu. I do know a couple of the Uechi-Ryu kata, but I do not actively train in the style.

I used to study Goju-Ryu before I moved away for my job. I'm currently with a karate club that rather sport-oriented. I enjoy the physical training and even the sparring, but I'm looking for a situation with teachers with more in-depth knowledge. I might pursue a kung fu style next. In my years of studying martial arts, I've found that the right instructor is more important than the style, as long as the style is a reasonable one to start with.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always wanted to work out with Uechi people but unfortunately there arent any here. Well I guess I'll have to work out with Kuntao people for now. After all, they're all south Chinese Kungfu :)

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sir-

I have the great opportunity to teach at a yearly Uechi-ryu camp here in Massachusetts run by George Mattson Sensei. I've always been fascinated by the historical connection between Uechi-ryu, Goju-ryu, and the more southern arts like Ngo Cho. Of course, they all share that Fukien / Fujian parentage along the way. There are some great clips of Uechi-ha Sanchin on Mattson Sensei's website www.uechi-ryu.com.

-wes

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Wes,

I am glad to finally "meet" an Uechi-ryu teacher. My sensei have a book written by Mr. Mattson about Uechi. He is most surprised by that book because the Sanchin looks a little bit like the breathing exercises in the Kuntao he learned from Mr. Khu Chen Yong.

Does the clip above looks anything like what you practiced in Uechi-ryu? The Saam Chien that we practiced here in Kuntao Macan is rather similar.

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sir-

I apologize for leaving out that even though I teach at a Uechi-ryu camp, I do not practice Uechi-ryu. I teach Pekiti Tirsia, Kuntao, and Pentjak Silat at the camp. Mattson Sensei likes to have his students exposed to other arts, so at this yearly camp there are many teachers of different traditions who teach there, along with some of the most senior Uechi-ka in the US. Again I apologize for leaving that out. Thank you.

-wes tasker

A

AgentSmith

I practiced Goju Ryu for a while under Sensei Miko Peled
I also got to train with Hiagonna Sensei a few times. I'm not currently training in this style though.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Altough apperently not common, Tensho and Sanchin are taught outside Goju some places. They are taught at brown belt level in our wado club. We also do pushing hands now and then and our sensei commented on similarities between these movements and said kata.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sanchin is pretty common (Isshin and Uechi are other examples, though the Uechi version is noticeably different). Tensho i smuch less common though.

I see similarities between Tensho and Wing Chun's Sil Lum Tao form!

T

TimBreuning

I started Goju-Ryu a year ago.
Sort of fills out the things I miss after 13 years of Shotokan.

/Tim

I

italian_cheese

i used to study goju ryu up until i was a teen and now that im 20 i take jiu jitsu and see some techniques are found in self defense and grappling. for example a bow is a simple defense against a choke from behind, and when we place our hands atop eachother before and after a kata signifies a sleeve choke used in gi grappling, very interesting!!!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nahate Goju Ryu here (sub-variant of Peter Urban's lineage). Heavy usage of shotokan kata at my school.

I would really like to study more traditional Goju Ryu when the chance arises.

Latest Discussions