Goju question

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I earned my purple belt in Goju last year but since getting laid off from my day job last September, I haven't had a chance to get back into it. I have been trying to remember everything I had learned and I have a question about the 12 count hand striking set. I'm not really sure if that is what you would call it in English (I don't remember the Japanese). This is what I would call the strikes using my Kempo background.

1. L. Jab
2. R. Cross
3. L. Hook
4. L. Backfist
5. R. Ridgehand
6. L. Uppercut
7. R. Spear hand poke
8. R. Cross knife
9. U-punch
10. L. Trigger finger
11. R. Leopard paw
12. L. Palm heel

If that makes sense to anyone, my question is on the U-punch. Is it right over left or the other way around?

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The answer would be both right over left and then left over right. But what type of Go ju are you training in.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Goju. I was searching for a Goju school before I got back into Kenpo. I couldn't find one in Baltimore.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
that sequences of strikes are not familiar to me even though I did learn a form of Goju-ryu Karate. For proper ways of doing the U punch, I suggest you learn the kata "Gekisai Dai Ichi", the ending of this Kata are a pair of U punches. This is a fairly common Kata, almost all traditional Goju systems utilizes this Kata as one of the most common fundamental Kata (together with Sanchin, Tensho, Saifa and Seipai).

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do have that form. I know that when you usually perform a U punch, your lower hand is usually goes along with whichever foot was forward. If your left foot was forward, your left hand was the lower strike. But, for some reason I think that in this set of strikes the hands are reversed. I was just looking for someone to verify this for me.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
I like Goju. I was searching for a Goju school before I got back into Kenpo. I couldn't find one in Baltimore.

There is not an IOGKF dojo there?
If I recall correctly, there was a branch school in Wilmington, DE run by J. Lee Sensei. I think he had students in Baltimore and used to go down there to teach. Check the GOOGLE the IOGKF

Peter Urban made a lot of changes to Goju. So some of the terminology will be odd to traditional people. In kata, I beleive it is correct that in the U Punch, the foot that is forward - that same hand is on top.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
KOROHO said:
Peter Urban made a lot of changes to Goju. So some of the terminology will be odd to traditional people.

ah, no wonder I got a little confused. Thank you for the info.