Going to build a new place to train – training equipment

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, I just saw this and it may work rather well for what I need.

Xue: I'd advise against getting that padded wooden dummy belt. We have one on a dummy at my si-dai's house and its pretty cheesy--with little thin pads. It's just enough to make hitting the dummy a little safer, but not enough to hold up to a lot of hard, repeated hitting. They are sold to Wing Lam by my commercially minded former Si-fu... need I say more?

Instead, I'd go back to the Wing Lam webpage and click on "Training Tools", then go to "Miscellaneous Training Tools and Aids", scroll down to the very bottom of the page and check out the "Striking Bags" available in 1,2, and three compartment models, priced from $14.99 to $20.99. These are the standard canvas wall bags, meant to be filled with rice, beans, sand, etc. for striking. I bought a new one a month or so back and it seems to be of decent quality.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue: I'd advise against getting that padded wooden dummy belt. We have one on a dummy at my si-dai's house and its pretty cheesy--with little thin pads. It's just enough to make hitting the dummy a little safer, but not enough to hold up to a lot of hard, repeated hitting. They are sold to Wing Lam by my commercially minded former Si-fu... need I say more?

Instead, I'd go back to the Wing Lam webpage and click on "Training Tools", then go to "Miscellaneous Training Tools and Aids", scroll down to the very bottom of the page and check out the "Striking Bags" available in 1,2, and three compartment models, priced from $14.99 to $20.99. These are the standard canvas wall bags, meant to be filled with rice, beans, sand, etc. for striking. I bought a new one a month or so back and it seems to be of decent quality.

Thanks, I have been looking at both and I can't quite figure out how to make the padded wooden dummy belt work properly anyway since that post. It is likely I will be getting a wall bag or 3.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know, that is pretty much what I have now...BUT... this is a different house and we are not really in a rush to move in (if all goes as planed and we actually buy it) But this is a partially finished basement (1/3) and it is not big enough for my forms and I have to make it bigger and it still has to be aesthetically pleasing (family will be there from time to time and it is still considered a real live room in the house – you should see the plan for the family room :D) to all that stop by and to be honest after many years of training in a basement that was not finished I am getting old and soft and kind of want to train in a nicer place in my old (and currently broken) age :D

Besides...I was given the option (bribe) so I might as well make the best of it.

The family... pfah... they can work around you for a change. :whip1:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The family... pfah... they can work around you for a change. :whip1:

weeeell

That is kind of what happened, we are not buying the house so I am not building a place to train in it, it failed the inspection and it was as much as a surprise to me as it was to the owner. But I might build a place in the next one we find. However if it is anything like the house I was in last Saturday I won't need to build a thing :EG:.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I'll do a little necrothread action since I see familiar names in this thread lol.

I recently bought a home and am designing a training room and would like to see if anybody has any suggestions on how they think I should make an adustable rail system for a wall bag and where to possibly source the supplies?

Here's a picture of the uppercut hook bag that's mounted solidly on the wall for now. What I really would like is to make the height adjustable so all my family members can use it.
7eda6cb86dffd9dcd598f656b9904cba.jpg
d414a0c23354419e19547aa2c8c289ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also some other goodies that I have for my training room are in the picture. I also plan on making a WC and CLF wodden dummy for the room as well.
c87a5a4cfc509959124ef47d82f8d38d.jpg
febbc469649e3e331b8f5496c0a04945.jpg
bc7ab02394ae8878cc4325881a2b426b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions