Goin Fishin

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I preface this post with the following; The statement(s) made are not directed at anyone in particular, but the old adage of "If the shoe fits - wear it", comes into play, so we are now forewarned................ I thought about not offering this post, but then I thought, if it :idea: then it will serve as more than just a personal rant. :soapbox:

This is the culmination of several things, not only associated with the martial arts, but life in general. Watching the tube last night, a talk show host had 3 guests that were all over 60. Two were from showbiz and one was an author. The author was of course hawking her book. The gist of the rhetoric being thrown forth was to enjoy life and take advantage of this and that and the predominantly female audience was just overjoyed to show their support for the BS that was being shoveled. All three of these guests were more than well off financially and have had major reconstruction and could more than afford to take advantage of what life has to offer, as opposed to the everyday person that it's a struggle just to get thru the day. Watching this farce, it occurred to me that a similar venue has been alive and well in the martial arts and fosters itself directly in chat rooms and web sites. I'm talking about the all knowing, self effacing and just plain full of themselves self appointed directors of truth and wisdom. These folks have no qualms of letting you know their history (via personal web sites) and love to flaunt their rank and bestowed titles, which undoubtedly has people swayed. The only thing that really matters to them is that they are looked upon by the general site population as an authority figure and their words are to be deemed as holy text. They have absolutely no problem being condescending, regardless of who they think their talking to and enjoy having cronies in the wings, intentionally or unintentionally suck up to whatever posting(s) that have just occurred. Now perhaps, some don't even realize that they offer this picture of themselves (doubtful) and they honestly feel that they are offering value in their discussions. To these individuals, your intentions, as well being as some may be, don't allow you to accept anybody's position other than those that agree with their's. They may put forth the obligatory, "well I can see your point, But" and then go on to dismiss whatever statement was made in rebuttal and just talk down to someone as if they were a petulant child. So with this rant out of the way, I would like to say that I wish all here at MT the best in training and in life in general. I also wish to thank the owner and staff of MT for allowing participation on the site. Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to possibly run into a few of the fine folks i've come to know about here at MT, at some future seminar. Until that time, we now turn you back over to the normal scheduled programing.............. :wavey:

Latest Discussions