'God was with us': family applauds decision to send life-support case to trial

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you all think? I am sorry, but to me if you need life support, god has already made that decision, you already aren't living.

Samuel Golubchuk's relatives are relieved a judge has decided the elderly man will remain on life support until a dispute over whether doctors can disconnect him without the family's permission can go to trial.

full story

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First: Yet another example why folks should prepare Living Wills and Advance Directives!!!!

I agree, Lisa, I find it disheartening that we give more dignity and consideration to "quality of life" for our pets than we do ourselves, our elderly, and our terminally ill.

While I can deeply respect the conflict of faith that is presented, I simply cannot believe that any God/Goddess/Creative power/what have you would purposefully direct his/her people to go broke, endure emotional stife and heartache, and raise the cost of healthcare/insurance for all in cases such as this. I understand valuing life, but the article states a list of health ailments that show a steady overall decline in health and quality of life.

In a perfect world, the man would have provided advance directives. In this world, why should he not die with dignity?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"God was with us," said Miriam Geller, Golubchuk's daughter, after the judge issued his decision.

I really don't get it. If a person believes in God, and believes in a afterlife, what benefit does keeping a person as a vegetable have? Let the man go where he belongs.

But Golubchuk's family members have said taking him off life support would hasten his death, something they consider tantamount to murder under their Orthodox Jewish religious beliefs.

I'm pretty sure the Tor'ah doesn't mention artificial life support in it, or that taking someone off it is murder. I would be less surprised to find something about "not extending ones life by unnatural means as it is a violation of God's will" or something along those lines.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
God's trying to take him, family is just being selfish and not letting him go. They are going to have some splainin' to do when they are at the pearly gates.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Tor'ah doesn't mention artificial life support in it, or that taking someone off it is murder. I would be less surprised to find something about "not extending ones life by unnatural means as it is a violation of God's will" or something along those lines.

Torah states that you may not commit murder. The question then becomes, is removal of life support murder? If you believe it is, then you cannot remove someone from life support, or you will be a murderer; if you believe it is not, then you can remove someone from life support, as it is allowing a natural death to occur. Like many other religious texts, you can find support for both sides of this argument in Judaic religious texts - here's the other side:

In fact, there is a reference in the Talmud (B. Ab Zarah 17b-18a) regarding the execution of Rabbi Chanina ben Teradyon. When he was burned to death by the Romans, they wrapped him in a moist blanket to prolong his suffering. Responding to an appeal for compassion from his family, the executioner was permitted to remove the blanket thus hastening his death. This reference has been invoked in halachic arguments to justify the withdrawal of life support when its use will only prolong patient suffering.

Latest Discussions