GM Robert Trias

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
Pure:
not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material.

without any extraneous and unnecessary elements.

free of any contamination.

My system fits all three of the defined requirements.

So you're saying that your style, whatever that may be, has no influence from any other style? That's interesting. What style is it? I would say that the two latter criteria you list are subjective, i.e., that it is exclusively your opinion. But whatever.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that your style, whatever that may be, has no influence from any other style? That's interesting. What style is it? I would say that the two latter criteria you list are subjective, i.e., that it is exclusively your opinion. But whatever.
It’s not an opinion, but the definition of the word. It doesn’t say that it can’t have any outside influences, just that the influences haven’t changed the base system into a different thing altogether.

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
It’s not an opinion, but the definition of the word. It doesn’t say that it can’t have any outside influences, just that the influences haven’t changed the base system into a different thing altogether.

It may be the "definition of the word", but it's your oPiNiOn that it fits your style.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do is the Korean interpretation of Shotokan and "China Hand", which makes them, "by definition" different from their base arts. There's nothing "pure" about it.
It’s not an interpretation, but a separate thing altogether. Let me break it down for you:
An apple is an apple. A pear is a pear. If I combine the two, it is now neither an apple or a pear, but a third thing in its own right. I have a black belt in both Shotokan and TSD, and they are not the same.

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
It’s not an interpretation, but a separate thing altogether. Let me break it down for you:
An apple is an apple. A pear is a pear. If I combine the two, it is now neither an apple or a pear, but a third thing in its own right. I have a black belt in both Shotokan and TSD, and they are not the same.

You have a combination of different things, not a thing that is "unadulterated with any other substance or material."

I hope you're better at martial arts than you are at feeble attempts at argumentation.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a combination of different things, not a thing that is "unadulterated with any other substance or material."

I hope you're better at martial arts than you are at feeble attempts at argumentation.
The third thing is unadulterated with any other substance or material in its own right. I made this pretty clear. Reading comprehension is key. Just because you are wrong doesn’t mean that you have to be obtuse. Troll elsewhere.

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
The third thing is unadulterated with any other substance or material in its own right. I made this pretty clear. Reading comprehension is key. Just because you are wrong doesn’t mean that you have to be obtuse. Troll elsewhere.

The third thing is made up of its constituent parts. What you are saying is tantamount to claiming that your mother's DNA and your father's DNA have no impact on your DNA. And you're accusing me of trolling. 😂

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The third thing is made up of its constituent parts. What you are saying is tantamount to claiming that your mother's DNA and your father's DNA have no impact on your DNA. And you're accusing me of trolling. 😂
You are stating that you ARE your mother, or that you ARE your father, and not Chris. You are ridiculous. You posts here have been intentionally inflammatory. Troll.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all noticed that you completely avoided the question. Define "pure".

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
every single martial art today fits the definition of Bullshido because there are no "pure" martial arts.
Why do you equate a martial art that has various historical influences with "BS?"

Is English a BS language? After all it's a combination of German, French, Greek, Latin and more. How about water? It's a combination of H & O. Fact is, in our everyday life almost nothing is "pure" - it's a term that depends on how we define the thing we're referring to. If we define distilled water as H2O, we can say it's pure. If we add cherry flavor or salt, by definition it is then not pure.

MA is much the same. If we say isshinryu karate is a combination of about 80% shorinryu, 10% gojuryu and 10% the founder's own ideas, curriculum and doctrine, we can say that is pure isshinryu. If we now add Shotokan stances and some TKD kicks, it is then not pure isshinryu as it does not fit the accepted definition.

I hope this logical line of thought helps us to come to grips with the concept of purity. It is based on generally accepted parameters of the thing we're talking about. To take it any further is not practical and a waste of time.

Latest Discussions