Glove weight for training

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've started incorporating more boxing approaches (drills and techniques) in my teaching. In doing so, I've revisited the idea of gloves for sparring and training. I like folks to have a light-weight set for light (and maybe moderate) sparring. But for training, I like the idea of a heavier set of gloves, and they are probably a good idea for heavy sparring, too.

So, here's the question: should the glove weight vary by person, or should everyone get 16 oz. gloves? Should smaller/lighter people use lighter gloves? Part of my question is because I'm using the heavier gloves to help develop stamina, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have someone a foot shorter (and with less shoulder strength) using 16 oz. gloves.

I know some of you have more experience training with boxing gloves, so I'm hoping to hear some wisdom from that experience.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say better off with heavier then you get the cardio and less power when they hit someone

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've started incorporating more boxing approaches (drills and techniques) in my teaching. In doing so, I've revisited the idea of gloves for sparring and training. I like folks to have a light-weight set for light (and maybe moderate) sparring. But for training, I like the idea of a heavier set of gloves, and they are probably a good idea for heavy sparring, too.

So, here's the question: should the glove weight vary by person, or should everyone get 16 oz. gloves? Should smaller/lighter people use lighter gloves? Part of my question is because I'm using the heavier gloves to help develop stamina, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have someone a foot shorter (and with less shoulder strength) using 16 oz. gloves.

I know some of you have more experience training with boxing gloves, so I'm hoping to hear some wisdom from that experience.
gpseymour, it really depends on the individual's size. Wearing a glove that is to large or small can be detrimental for the wearer. I'm 5' 7" 165 lbs and use a 14 oz for training the heavy bag and heavy pad work, 16 oz for heavy sparring, 10 or 12 oz for technical sparring. With the 14 & 16 oz especially the 16s having hand wraps helps with the glove fit.(without wraps the glove is too loose a fit).

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gpseymour, it really depends on the individual's size. Wearing a glove that is to large or small can be detrimental for the wearer. I'm 5' 7" 165 lbs and use a 14 oz for training the heavy bag and heavy pad work, 16 oz for heavy sparring, 10 or 12 oz for technical sparring. With the 14 & 16 oz especially the 16s having hand wraps helps with the glove fit.(without wraps the glove is too loose a fit).
This was one thing I was surprised about with boxing gloves - no sizes, just weight. Id never noticed before, as my hands are big enough for the 16 oz gloves, even without wraps.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually, people train with bigger gloves than in competition. For training safety. And bigger people should use bigger gloves. At least, these are the common practices.

On the other hand,
1. I have read on this forum that changing from 16oz to 10oz doesn't increase the speed significantly, although one feels faster.
2. Bigger gloves give a false protection not there when changing to smaller or no gloves (as it is in self-defence scenario) and changes the dynamics.So I like smaller gloves, not larger than my hand and fingers free (I train with self-defence purpose in mind).
3. People should not strike people heavy (or at least not without control), in my opinion. So big gloves for protection... It doesn't help anyway. Heavy strikes should be generally reserved for heavy bags. Generally.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the way I'm leaning. I'm mostly wondering if there's any good reason not to do so.
I don't think so. I mean mma guys train in big gloves and they have no issues. Yeah they train in their smaller ones to but mainly their stand up only sparring is done in bigger gloves.

Also depends if you're training people to get in the ring. If you are then maybe getting smaller gloves to get used to the feel of fight weight gloves is a better option but if it's just for training and self defence I don't think wearing big gloves can ever be a bad thing. If you're sparring and there's some begginers they could either be acting like idiots or simply not understand how much power they hit with and you wouldn't want them sparring with 10 or 8 ounce gloves.

Personally I think 12 up is fine I use 14 now. Not for any special preference on weight but just the fact I got a good deal on them and really I've felt no difference between 10 ounces I used to use for pads and the 14. I've actually had people say my 14s look and feel smaller than some 10s because of different brands of gloves.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
16,s

You put gloves on some guys and they will automatically swing for the rafters. Which is more the dynamic you want anyway.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually, people train with bigger gloves than in competition. For training safety. And bigger people should use bigger gloves. At least, these are the common practices.

On the other hand,
1. I have read on this forum that changing from 16oz to 10oz doesn't increase the speed significantly, although one feels faster.
2. Bigger gloves give a false protection not there when changing to smaller or no gloves (as it is in self-defence scenario) and changes the dynamics.So I like smaller gloves, not larger than my hand and fingers free (I train with self-defence purpose in mind).
3. People should not strike people heavy (or at least not without control), in my opinion. So big gloves for protection... It doesn't help anyway. Heavy strikes should be generally reserved for heavy bags. Generally.
No they shouldn't be striking hard...but it never always ends up being the case

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Title World Gel bag gloves. Not sure how they’d be for sparring, but they’re 14 oz or so and come in various sizes. They go by hand measurements and have various sizes like small, medium, etc.

They might make other stuff in various sizes. Contacting them might be a good thing. They make quality stuff and mostly great value for the money.

Title Boxing Equipment: Boxing Gloves, Punching Bags, MMA Gear & Training Supplies - TITLE Boxing
Thanks, JR. I'll take a look at those. If they are similarly protective (for someone being punched) then they'd certainly work.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, JR. I'll take a look at those. If they are similarly protective (for someone being punched) then they'd certainly work.
They’re not cheap, but they’re quite well made. I really like them. Poking around on the web, everywhere I looked said they were the best bag gloves you could get. The ones that didn’t say that preferred Cleto Reyes gloves for more than twice the price and said they were marginally better at best. I bought them because $100 for hopefully 2-3 years is better than $40 every few months. And my hands and knuckles don’t feel all stiff and swollen.

I don’t know the rest of the Title line, but everything I’ve heard has been quite positive. I’m sure there’s a miss or two in the lineup, but they seem quite few and far between.

How’s getting hit with the gloves I bought feel? No idea. They’re probably firmer than regular gloves so they can withstand the hard hitting of a heavy bag day in and day out. I’m sure Title could direct you to the right product.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use Title World Gel bag gloves. Not sure how they’d be for sparring, but they’re 14 oz or so and come in various sizes. They go by hand measurements and have various sizes like small, medium, etc.

They might make other stuff in various sizes. Contacting them might be a good thing. They make quality stuff and mostly great value for the money.

Title Boxing Equipment: Boxing Gloves, Punching Bags, MMA Gear & Training Supplies - TITLE Boxing
I have a pair.
On the sizes they are listed as available in Med, Large, XL. and the weights are approx. Med 12 oz, L 14 oz, & Xl is 16 oz. My Mediums weight just over 13 oz.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a pair.
On the sizes they are listed as available in Med, Large, XL. and the weights are approx. Med 12 oz, L 14 oz, & Xl is 16 oz. My Mediums weight just over 13 oz.
My large weighs about 14 oz. Is it just me or are they bit bit on the snug side? I was between medium and large according to the measurement chart, but the large is kind of snug. No way I’d get wraps under them.

But they’re great gloves. Worth every penny so far.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re not cheap, but they’re quite well made. I really like them. Poking around on the web, everywhere I looked said they were the best bag gloves you could get. The ones that didn’t say that preferred Cleto Reyes gloves for more than twice the price and said they were marginally better at best. I bought them because $100 for hopefully 2-3 years is better than $40 every few months. And my hands and knuckles don’t feel all stiff and swollen.

I don’t know the rest of the Title line, but everything I’ve heard has been quite positive. I’m sure there’s a miss or two in the lineup, but they seem quite few and far between.

How’s getting hit with the gloves I bought feel? No idea. They’re probably firmer than regular gloves so they can withstand the hard hitting of a heavy bag day in and day out. I’m sure Title could direct you to the right product.
Title has a wide range of gloves, including some that are pretty inexpensive. Since my students don't spend a ton of time at the heavy bag (at least not in class), they're probably okay with training/sparring gloves, rather than bag gloves. They do give a "size chart" of sorts, so I can see which ones the 14 oz are recommended for smaller folks (rather than the 12 oz). I think I'll recommend those to students who don't want to get the ones I am buying or can get for them at a discount (wholesale account).