Glock 43: single stack 9mm

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like it's finally being released...

GLOCK 43 Single Stack 9mm GunUp the Magazine

I like how the dimensions are kept very similar to its cousin, the Glock 42 (also a single stack, chambered in the .380 ACP).

A weight of 16 ounces, combined with a locked breech mechanism should make the shooting experience quite manageable, since the recoil shouldn't be too strong at all for a pistol of this small size.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking forward to shooting one.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't been able to shoot one, but I did get handle one of the 42s. Interested in this; wish they'd make it in .40SW. I like to keep things simple and only carry one sort of ammo.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't been able to shoot one, but I did get handle one of the 42s. Interested in this; wish they'd make it in .40SW. I like to keep things simple and only carry one sort of ammo.

We gave my daughter a G42 for Christmas and its a nice shooter. I expect the G43 to be the same.
The FBI is changing to 9mm. I would expect your force to follow along (as they generally do) so that means a 9mm in your future.
How many rounds would a single stack .40 hold? 5?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
.40 isn't that much larger than 9 mm. 6 wouldn't be hard, might have to extend the magazine a bit -- but even if it was 5 with 1 in the tube, I'd say it's workable. You don't carry a concealed gun for long battles.

I doubt we'll change to 9 mm, though. We lean on the larger county around us for a lot of research like that, and they recently changed from 9 mm Sigs to .40 Sigs partly because they weren't happy with the outcome of several shootings.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like it's finally being released...

GLOCK 43 Single Stack 9mm GunUp the Magazine

I like how the dimensions are kept very similar to its cousin, the Glock 42 (also a single stack, chambered in the .380 ACP).

A weight of 16 ounces, combined with a locked breech mechanism should make the shooting experience quite manageable, since the recoil shouldn't be too strong at all for a pistol of this small size.

So how does it size up to the 17 and the 19? You say the 43 is 9mm, so are the 17 and 19 although the 19 is a bit smaller and more suitable for concealed carry. I've tried both the 17 and 19 and the 19 is a bit small for my hands but the 17 works well for me. So how is the 43 different?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
.40 isn't that much larger than 9 mm. 6 wouldn't be hard, might have to extend the magazine a bit -- but even if it was 5 with 1 in the tube, I'd say it's workable. You don't carry a concealed gun for long battles.

I doubt we'll change to 9 mm, though. We lean on the larger county around us for a lot of research like that, and they recently changed from 9 mm Sigs to .40 Sigs partly because they weren't happy with the outcome of several shootings.

Do they ever use the .357 Magnum? I believe departments used to carry that but not so much anymore. I wonder if Glock will ever make a model that uses that cartridge.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not aware of any agency currently using the .357 (or the .38, for that matter). Doesn't mean that none do. In my area, .40 is common, along with 9 mm. A few use .45. Will Glock make a gun in a given caliber? Depends; do they think they can make enough of a profit on it to be worth the effort?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So how does it size up to the 17 and the 19? You say the 43 is 9mm, so are the 17 and 19 although the 19 is a bit smaller and more suitable for concealed carry. I've tried both the 17 and 19 and the 19 is a bit small for my hands but the 17 works well for me. So how is the 43 different?

The 43 is a single stack so it is significantly thinner, the grip length is shorter because it is a subcompact. The pocket guns take some getting used to, I don't like most of the ones I have shot because I am used to the G26, I am looking forward to trying the 43 out though I'm leaning more towards a revolver for a pocket pistol these days.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 43 is a single stack so it is significantly thinner, the grip length is shorter because it is a subcompact. The pocket guns take some getting used to, I don't like most of the ones I have shot because I am used to the G26, I am looking forward to trying the 43 out though I'm leaning more towards a revolver for a pocket pistol these days.

For a good pocket gun you might want to look into the Ruger LC9 or for something even smaller the Ruger LCP. They are both semi autos. While there are many different methods for concealed carry, for guns that small they do make this belt pouch that looks just like a cell phone case but that is actually meant to hold the guns, it works really well.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not aware of any agency currently using the .357 (or the .38, for that matter). Doesn't mean that none do. In my area, .40 is common, along with 9 mm. A few use .45. Will Glock make a gun in a given caliber? Depends; do they think they can make enough of a profit on it to be worth the effort?

They do make .357 Magnum semi autos. There is the Desert Eagle and also there is this really good brand called Coonan that makes such a semi auto. As for the Glock, if the plastic frame can withstand the pressure and recoil of a Magnum round than I see it might be a possibility.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They do make .357 Magnum semi autos. There is the Desert Eagle and also there is this really good brand called Coonan that makes such a semi auto. As for the Glock, if the plastic frame can withstand the pressure and recoil of a Magnum round than I see it might be a possibility.
You asked if Glock would make a ,357, not of anyone made one. Glock won't bother unless there is a demand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

A - You asked if Glock would make one. Not if anybody had ever made one.
B - Yeah. The Desert Eagle. That's certainly a gun that belongs in a discussion of small, easily concealable handguns.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The FBI is changing to 9mm. I would expect your force to follow along (as they generally do) so that means a 9mm in your future.
How many rounds would a single stack .40 hold? 5?

That seems about right, since a Kahr MK40 (looks to be about in the same size class) holds 5+1 without the extender.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do they ever use the .357 Magnum? I believe departments used to carry that but not so much anymore. I wonder if Glock will ever make a model that uses that cartridge.

This isn't really relevant to the discussion of the Glock 43, since we're talking about a subcompact 9 mm handgun. If you would like to discuss the .357 Magnum, you're more than welcome to create a new thread.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You can compare this to the specifications listed on Glock's website for the 17 and 19. It's now listed under their official site:

GLOCK Perfection

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'v had a Glock 23 for the past 10 plus years. Put a lot of rounds through it with no issues to speak of. Just recently decided to purchase a compact and looked at the M&P Shield. While talking to a buddy at a local gun shop he introduced me to the Glock G43 and it was love at first sight. Felt good and carries well. Read some good write ups on it and am a happy camper so far.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I thought the same thing, and then found out our dept. is more than likely switching to the 9mm. It is cheaper overall and less wear and tear on the gun itself. Also, the new 9mm duty rounds out perform the .40, so they are making the switch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, and then found out our dept. is more than likely switching to the 9mm. It is cheaper overall and less wear and tear on the gun itself. Also, the new 9mm duty rounds out perform the .40, so they are making the switch.

I doubt the last statement...
With modern defensive ammo, the damage to the human body is exactly the same, regardless of caliber (limiting this to handguns...). That's how I measure the performance of a round.
This does make the 9mm the clear winner, though, because they're cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair, cheaper to shoot, and offer the largest capacity, allowing for more shots on target between reloads. For example, my most frequent choice for EDC is a G19 with two G17 mags as reloads, for a nice even (and easily carried) 50 rounds. 52, actually, since I found (by loosing count when loading them) that my G17 mags, though rated at 17 rounds, will load and function flawlessly with 18.

I still haven't got my hands on a G43, but I do enjoy shooting my daughters G42 (the .380 or "9mm short" version). Out of the box it's a tab small for my hands, but with the mag extensions it's fine. And gets another 2 rounds. :)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I doubt the last statement...
With modern defensive ammo, the damage to the human body is exactly the same, regardless of caliber (limiting this to handguns...). That's how I measure the performance of a round.
This does make the 9mm the clear winner, though, because they're cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair, cheaper to shoot, and offer the largest capacity, allowing for more shots on target between reloads. For example, my most frequent choice for EDC is a G19 with two G17 mags as reloads, for a nice even (and easily carried) 50 rounds. 52, actually, since I found (by loosing count when loading them) that my G17 mags, though rated at 17 rounds, will load and function flawlessly with 18.

I still haven't got my hands on a G43, but I do enjoy shooting my daughters G42 (the .380 or "9mm short" version). Out of the box it's a tab small for my hands, but with the mag extensions it's fine. And gets another 2 rounds. :)

The newer 9mm ammo that was tested had deeper "wound channels" on the gel used. I also believe there was more mushrooming of the round as well. Whether or not those would be considered statistically significant is another issue.

Latest Discussions